advertisement

System pics 2013 part I

Unfortuately, they don't make them any more, I heard from a friend in the business, they were just a sort of one-off to see what their design department could do with the right budget. It turns out, they made an absolute classic and that is why I drove 400 miles to pick them up after buying them off Ebay!
The floor standers can be a bit bass heavy with the wrong amplification but with the "bloomless" Avondale amps they are straight and true. The mid-range is to die for (thanks to the Seas Excel magnisium alloy drive units) and the top-end is very natural and extended. They can also be "tuned" into your room/system with the adjustable cross-over.
Like you, I also heard the stand mounts at Lintone Audio years ago with tube amplification and everyone in the shop was in awe of them, that's why I jumped at the chance when I eventually found a pair.

The more I look at the Jamos the more I want a pair :(

I see your in the north east too, so if you ever want to sell them...nudge, nudge :)

New needle thingy

8532881822_2237e47ae0_b.jpg

If you are looking for a good repair guy for your CJ amps I have used and can recommend Henry [email protected], based in Leatherhead UK. I recently had my Premier 140 and ACT2 serviced by Henry

I'd be a bit worried that the CJ capacitors (only available through CJ and CJ dealers) used in these old girls might not be sourced. I know I probably sound like a fool, and i expect your guy is as capable as the next, but I'd want to keep it as CJ as possible.

No valve hiss or hum preconceptions dashed there, but I want to treat them with respect. Can he get the weird CJ branded caps?

From the top we have-
24 bit USB Dac based on the AK4396 chip
dac3_zps4d7944ab.jpg

Did you do anything to the output stage of the DAC? I have some of those same DACs and they work well with the same output stage board I designed for my Behringer mods. I could sell you a PCB cheaply if you want it?

Edit: Ahh I can see you're using Lundhal output TXs.

Did you do anything to the output stage of the DAC? I have some of those same DACs and they work well with the same output stage board I designed for my Behringer mods. I could sell you a PCB cheaply if you want it?

Edit: Ahh I can see you're using Lundhal output TXs.

I know it looks like I'm using the same Dac board but I'm only using the Dac Chip really, the implementation is comletely different, even some of the caps are the wrong way round and I have cross links and more components (Black Gates) under the board to get the circuit I need. If you notice, the output is direct from the resistor legs next to the Dac chip so no crude op-amp etc.

I'd be a bit worried that the CJ capacitors (only available through CJ and CJ dealers) used in these old girls might not be sourced. I know I probably sound like a fool, and i expect your guy is as capable as the next, but I'd want to keep it as CJ as possible.

No valve hiss or hum preconceptions dashed there, but I want to treat them with respect. Can he get the weird CJ branded caps?

Depends if it needs new capacitors of the teflon/polypropylene type that CJ use in the audio signal chain. Henry tested all of mine and they were all in spec. The problem with my Premier 140 was a bad solder joint! He also replaced some small electrolytics which were out of spec ( these were not in the audio signal path). Same story with the ACT2, it only needed some small capacitors that are not in the signal path. These we replaced with higher quality caps thta are rated to higher temperature. According to Henry, the teflon CJ caps are very high quality, and should give very long service life.

And how are you finding it?

Yes very nice thanks ... smooth, neutral, dimensional, even handed and musical. Gets out of the way.

It does not have the slam, dynamics and width of my Puritas and doesn't dig quite as deep into the grooves but it's a very good all rounder IMO and if you had to live with one for good that would be no bad thing.

Good summary, matches well with what I hear from mine in a different setup. Very neutral, 100% fatigue free listening. Maybe a bit on the polite side, but very enjoyable.

My Humble system, made up of Dali Helicon 400 MK II 25th Anniversary Edition, Plinius CD-101, Hautonga amp, Abbey Road Speaker cable, Quest XLR Cobra, Isol-8 Power Block, with Abbey Road power cables.

8543587381_f6b3fd65ca_b.jpg

8543590067_a8b2f0ba32_b.jpg

8544689012_4a77873f88_b.jpg

8536341465_2ebf175cac_b.jpg

Really nice looking setup :)

You could fill that big pot in the corner with some pillows and make it an absorber for bass :)

Nice pics of a very nice looking system. :)

Especially the new Atacama Elite Eco rack is breathtakingly beautiful imho.
A relief, compared to all other metal/glas dusttraps available from other manufacterers. (only bummer that it's so deep, at 55cm/25")

Especially the new Atacama Elite Eco rack is breathtakingly beautiful imho.
A relief, compared to all other metal/glas dusttraps available from other manufacterers. (only bummer that it's so deep, at 55cm/25")

I could not agree more....it still stands out as a hi-fi rack...but yea, it's better than the metal/glass ones. I like the size of it as it allows room for your cables at the back and has a cutout in the back centre...allowing you to place right up aginst wall...and reducing the tempation for babies to explore !

advertisement

Back