advertisement

System pics 2013 part I

My Humble system, made up of Dali Helicon 400 MK II 25th Anniversary Edition, Plinius CD-101, Hautonga amp, Abbey Road Speaker cable, Quest XLR Cobra, Isol-8 Power Block, with Abbey Road power cables.

8543587381_f6b3fd65ca_b.jpg

8543590067_a8b2f0ba32_b.jpg

8544689012_4a77873f88_b.jpg

8536341465_2ebf175cac_b.jpg

Looks great! I particuarly like how the rack is the same profile looking down as the speakers! Any chance of a view of both speakers from the listening position?

I have always wanted to hear a Plinius setup. I should have done it when I lived in New Zealand!

Good summary, matches well with what I hear from mine in a different setup. Very neutral, 100% fatigue free listening. Maybe a bit on the polite side, but very enjoyable.

Have an XV1s in today that needed to be tested. I have to say I prefer the Transfig. I realise that there are many happy XV1s owners out there but for me, it has always seemed to separate out the sounds a little too much for my tastes in a flat-earthesque kinda way. There is something about the bass as well that sounds a little mechanical as if its slightly dissociated from the whole. I remember feeling exactly the same way when I tried one on my Amadeus a few years back. Very accurate, detailed and everything is correctly in place but somehow lacks any magic and the Transfig flows more, sounds more musical and you just notice it less.

8552711732_7a4c8ce023_b.jpg

Simply put, four months on, these speakers remain the most believable, authentic sounding monitors I have ever owned. Whilst the likes of TAD, JBL, ATC and Tannoy gave me more in terms of quantity, nothing I have owned have provided the level of believability I am getting with these.

10CD0494-D167-4BC1-AE44-063FC7B35198-2693-0000065936701373.jpg

I have no doubt that this little box is helping no end. It's amusing just what subjective authenticity I can get with a $99 front end. The mullet of all mullets? :)

6E40C5FD-E8F3-4C16-A6B1-831A634493D1-5695-000006CC1883AC4E_zpsd0e7f66e.jpg

Merlin. Brilliant speakers (despite their ports).

Not so sure about the sprayed-silver wardrobe knobs on the Berning.

Have an XV1s in today that needed to be tested. I have to say I prefer the Transfig. I realise that there are many happy XV1s owners out there but for me, it has always seemed to separate out the sounds a little too much for my tastes in a flat-earthesque kinda way. There is something about the bass as well that sounds a little mechanical as if its slightly dissociated from the whole. I remember feeling exactly the same way when I tried one on my Amadeus a few years back. Very accurate, detailed and everything is correctly in place but somehow lacks any magic and the Transfig flows more, sounds more musical and you just notice it less.

8552711732_7a4c8ce023_b.jpg

I would agree with that take on the Dynavector carts in general, slightly mechanical, slightly cold...

My new toy, the Nima brought fantastic midrange and spaciousness I'd not known with Rega.
The Tabriz Zi must be digging deeper into the grooves, all the space and air if the Nima plus an extra level of information . Bass texture and depth not known before :/)

Untitled by levs the diver, on Flickr

Simply put, four months on, these speakers remain the most believable, authentic sounding monitors I have ever owned. Whilst the likes of TAD, JBL, ATC and Tannoy gave me more in terms of quantity, nothing I have owned have provided the level of believability I am getting with these.

Sorry if I've missed something, but what are they?

They are indeed Focal Diablo Utopia and the knobbage on the Berning is some of the finest I have come across in many a year. Solid aluminium and in the words of A Partridge esq "nice action" :).

There's not much comparison , I've just put the HD cable on the Tabriz, Prefix on the Nima . There's no escaping the Tabriz is fetching out more information. I haven't stopped playing records since I got it :)

Hello.

I've seen everyone's systems on here and have marvelled at some of your dedication to build yours, so thought I'd try to show mine. Not great pics I'm afraid.

Technics SL-1210 mkII
Ortofon 520 mkII
Apple Airport Express
Rega Brio-R
Harbeth M30.1

Yes, I know the speakers are sitting on their boxes. I haven't got around to getting stands yet.

No upgrades planned, I only just bought the amp and speakers! All I'm trying to do is spend less money on vinyl.

Finally have had the double garage converted in to a listening room, 14'x16', dedicated 30A spurs, separate consumer unit. I've hankered after something like it for years.

I've not finished decorating, so excuse the mess - I had to find out what the room sounded like...

Most of my kit is DIY, though it is none too shabby sounding.

20130316_120929_zpsf377680f.jpg

If you don't visit the DIY pages the following will mean very little to you...

Kit is on a home made TNT Flexi Table
Creek tuner, hiding as I have no aerial on the side of the house, yet!
A DIY TAPS LP12 PSU - cool wooden box.
Modded Arcam Alpha 5 including the Flea treatment - sounds just amazing
NAC 32.5 with a Starfish squeezed inside - wolf in sheep's clothing!
DIY 323 MC Phono - Two AWLSR right on the cards' sides
Wooden box containing various PSUs to power the phono stage and Starfish
Two Voyager mono block clones - Fantastic, worth the effort.
And a boring LP12, still with its Akito arm and a AT 33PTG on my wonderful AudioTech frame.

Wired to my wonderful DIY speakers (nod to James), with Van Damme Blue cable.

20130316_121018_zpsac186e34.jpg

The duvet is there to calm the room a little, the open baffle mids can 'ring' off the smooth rear wall - I'm still messing the placement yet.

Sadly, no rug...

But the carpet was a regular weave pattern in it, which means I can line the speakers up perfectly, even graduated markers to get the toe in right on both sides - I call that planning!

advertisement

Back