advertisement

Ribbon Tweeters

I'm too old (feel It anyway) and tired to argue. Was just thinking It may be your hearing problems that are exaggerating what you are hearing.

Would be Interesting to hear what you think of the compression drivers I'm using now. They have Incredibly low distortion compared to all the dome tweeters I've measured and a flat response (due to my crossover) but when I play a movie with glass breaking, It sounds very dynamic and real. I can Imagine some people finding It a bit too much for their tastes and yet there's nothing In the measurements that would suggest a problem.
I would definitely be interested. But referring to my hearing as having problems is, I think, a misunderstanding. I suspect that everyone has differences, some large and some small, but few if any of us have "average" hearing, And there lies the source of many disagreements. We describe equipment, speakers in particular, as being dark, bright, forward, recessed, etc, with differences of a couple of dB, and yet how close is our hearing response to each other?
This whole "hifi" experience is an illusion, which works in varying degrees for all of us; live (acoustic) music causes me no problems with 8kHz peaks, etc, but recorded and replayed music does. Strange isn't it?

I suspect that everyone has differences, some large and some small, but few if any of us have "average" hearing, And there lies the source of many disagreements
I bet that differences in ability to hear, say >10kHz, affect the importance the brain places on 5-7kHz
Add to that that many people with industrial damage have suck outs at lower frequencies. my father couldn't hear around 5kHz in his middle age

That's the big question. Would be Interesting to know...
I have posted my tests more than once, but it seems that few others have this data. Anyway, the NHS type tests generally only go up to 8kHz (as mine do) and are a rough and ready check on speech frequencies in the main. Hardly precise and detailed.

advertisement

Back