advertisement

Rega RP10 or Technics SL1200G - which should I buy?

The SL12**'s issue with VTA and non-standard headshells is quite well-documented. As one example, the Sumiko HS-12 (a popular 'shell upgrade) has its mounting surface at a different height relative to the Technics shell and makes correct VTA impossible (or at least difficult) with just about any cartridge. You can just about get away with it when using the std platter mat, but with an Achromat it just doesn't work as the mat's not thick enough.

I actually quite like the Technics standard arm - IME it's quite a capable device and beautifully engineered, the only issue is the VTA one but it's not insurmountable.

Well, true to their word, Richer Sounds delivered it today, bang in the middle of the one hour slot they promised. You cant be sniffy about RS, seriously good service.

Its been running for an hour. First impressions:

The bad.
1- It failed the WAF test. She is not impressed with the look compared to the Gyro / SME.
2- I don't like the arm. Compared to the SME its a bit toy like. The arm height adjustment is too high at its lowest setting. I cant get my Lyra Dorian to ride flat at the back, I've had to add a Funk Firm Achromat to add a bit of height to the platter. I'll try my Rohmann later, its a lot deeper.

The Good.
1- It is hewn from a single billet of seriously heavy stuff! It might look little compared to the Gyro but it is an engineering marvel.
2- It sounds amazing out of the box just plonked on a coffee table. Not just saying that, I put no effort at all into setting it up and it is significantly better than anticipated. Just rock solid and confident. I was expecting a small soundstage compered to the Gyro, but its big and bold. Lots of playing and fettling to do now...

The wife will grow to love, I am quite sure I will!

Well, congratulations on 1200G which is the best Hi-Fi TT in the world!
I wanna know about your other Hi-Fi equipments!!

Thanks.

Leaving sound to one side ( it is subjective ) look at the technology that goes into the Technics , http://www.technics.com/us/products/grand-class/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200g.html

The Rega may sound fantastic but I'd bet it doesn't match the impressive specifications of the Technics , I can't find any published details from Rega on wow , flutter , torque , rumble ect .

Finally the Technics is very user friendly , can't say the same for the Rega .
hi im converted its well engineered,way above anything I expected,charlie

hi,one more thing I would buy an audio mods arm/j7/ or ol silver,also had jelco 750d on my deck which sounded great until the audio mods went on,cart was at33ptg,regards charlie

I am a three days and 30+ albums in!

In my head, the closest arty-farty analogy I can think of is that the Gyro is a Monet and the Technics is a Constable. The Gyro has a large, somewhat fluffy and diffuse but nevertheless joyful presentation. The Technics on the other hand has an equally large (which surprised me), vivid and sharply etched presentation.

Presentation is a subjective thing, but there is one area where the Gyro fails IMO and I didn’t even realise it until I listened to the Technics. I have some records that sound muddled and confused during the complex passages. The soundstage becomes a little hard, blurred and diminished on the Gyro. On the technics however, the soundstage stays the same, everything retains its sense of space and it doesn’t sound hard or thrashy. I am kinda sitting there, mouth open, staring into the imaginary soundstage that I thought I knew so well, acquainting myself with stuff going-on that I cant recall being there before.

In a perverse way, I am disappointed by this. The full Gyro + PSU + SME 309 is over £4K. I didn’t want one to be better than the other, that wasn’t my intention. The clincher for me is that my wife, who doesn’t give a flying fudge about hifi, who couldn’t tell that my little Kef LS50’s sounded different to my 15” Tannoys, said, without prompting, I can hear that sounds better. She is right, it does sound better in my system. I don’t even think I’ll bother moving the SME onto the Technics.

I had a demo of a £4k (so entry level) Linn LP12 on Saturday..... amazing turntable! I'd suggest having a listen to one of them before buying anything else. Also benefits from total upgradability (with a whole network of workshops able to fit and fettle) and great residuals.

I am a three days and 30+ albums in!

In my head, the closest arty-farty analogy I can think of is that the Gyro is a Monet and the Technics is a Constable. The Gyro has a large, somewhat fluffy and diffuse but nevertheless joyful presentation. The Technics on the other hand has an equally large (which surprised me), vivid and sharply etched presentation.

Presentation is a subjective thing, but there is one area where the Gyro fails IMO and I didn’t even realise it until I listened to the Technics. I have some records that sound muddled and confused during the complex passages. The soundstage becomes a little hard, blurred and diminished on the Gyro. On the technics however, the soundstage stays the same, everything retains its sense of space and it doesn’t sound hard or thrashy. I am kinda sitting there, mouth open, staring into the imaginary soundstage that I thought I knew so well, acquainting myself with stuff going-on that I cant recall being there before.

In a perverse way, I am disappointed by this. The full Gyro + PSU + SME 309 is over £4K. I didn’t want one to be better than the other, that wasn’t my intention. The clincher for me is that my wife, who doesn’t give a flying fudge about hifi, who couldn’t tell that my little Kef LS50’s sounded different to my 15” Tannoys, said, without prompting, I can hear that sounds better. She is right, it does sound better in my system. I don’t even think I’ll bother moving the SME onto the Technics.

There not bad are they ;-)

Its the lack of upgrade potential that is so enticing about the Technics. Having had an LP12 I know how the upgrade carrot hangs over you and never lets you be content.

The only belt drive I've ever heard with that unflappable quality is an original SME30. I have a feeling this will be around as long as the Gyro. Can't wait to hear it.

Prompted by this thread I stuck my head into Richer Sounds earlier and had a look at a GR, sadly they did not have a G in. It does look to be finished to a much higher standard than the MK2s I used at Pock FM and flicking the platter with a fingernail doesn't induce a ring like it used to on those. Sadly my investigations could not go much further as apparently it's Cyber Monday (which I thought meant that the bargains were online, but seemingly not) as it was rammed and I was in danger of being knocked into the wall of turntables etc... could only catch a member of staff to ask about the G for a second as he ran off to the stock room to get something for another customer...

The only belt drive I've ever heard with that unflappable quality is an original SME30. I have a feeling this will be around as long as the Gyro. Can't wait to hear it.

I went from my SP10 to a SME30 and would agree. The only belt drive TT I've personally heard that has that solidity that you get from the best DD turntables and, of course, from master tape. The new Technics sounds like it's going to be a winner.

Last edited:
Prompted by this thread I stuck my head into Richer Sounds earlier and had a look at a GR, sadly they did not have a G in. It does look to be finished to a much higher standard than the MK2s I used at Pock FM and flicking the platter with a fingernail doesn't induce a ring like it used to on those. Sadly my investigations could not go much further as apparently it's Cyber Monday (which I thought meant that the bargains were online, but seemingly not) as it was rammed and I was in danger of being knocked into the wall of turntables etc... could only catch a member of staff to ask about the G for a second as he ran off to the stock room to get something for another customer...

If you're tempted, the 1200/1210GR is reduced to 'just' £1099 at Superfi!

The SME 20s and 30s have better pitch stability lab results than at least some DD decks.

I have a 1200G here right now. While (has to be said) it's around £17k less than my 20/3A and is running my spare Benz Ace SL, the SME is eating it for breakfast.

The SME 20s and 30s have better pitch stability lab results than at least some DD decks.

I have a 1200G here right now. While (has to be said) it's around £17k less than my 20/3A and is running my spare Benz Ace SL, the SME is eating it for breakfast.

Any chance you can swap the SME tonearm (V, I assume) to the Technics to see if that narrows the gap?

advertisement

Back