advertisement

Rega RP10 or Technics SL1200G - which should I buy?

Ah the satisfaction of money off and brand new..can't be beaten.

So, next poll....what to spend the £500 on......new cartridge?

Are you listening to still "the sound on your turntable" ?

LOL...

The era of listening to "the sound on turntable" closed the curtain with the advent of 1200G already.

Today, we can exactly listen to "the sound on vinyl" by using the 1200G only.

Please listen to "the sound on vinyl"!

Thanks...1200G

As a former P9 owner (who has heard both a 1200G and an RP10), I'd have voted for the latter.

More broadly, so many other things to choose from at that price. A Motus STST - possibly the best of both worlds - is an obvious example.

Oh well, I'm sure the OP will be happy with his choice, and that's the main thing.

As a former P9 owner, I'd vote Technics.
But an RP10 isn't a P9. Irrelevant really because the OP has bought the Technics, the choice been simplified by a £500 saving.

One very good reason for choosing the Technics is that the OP wanted something different to his Gyro... well you don't much more different than a suspended skeletal belt drive and a solid plinth direct drive deck.

It's very simple for ME to choose 1200G....It's one of the BEST TT!
I wanna listen just "the sound on vinyl" by using the 1200G...I would 't like to listen "the sound on turntable"!

Are you understanding what I mean...???

It's very simple for ME to choose 1200G....It's one of the BEST TT!
I wanna listen just "the sound on vinyl" by using the 1200G...I would 't like to listen "the sound on turntable"!

Are you understanding what I mean...???
Not really, I saw an earlier post from you in this thread where you berated Technics quite strongly. It looks as though you've since deleted it but it's still showing up on page two where another member quoted it.

Well I would say 1200G!

When I put it down on my coffee table before moving it to the wall shelf I thougt it was stuck to the table, I mean the feet are totally different from the Technis of old, I weighed one and just one foot came in at stagering 283g.

Well, true to their word, Richer Sounds delivered it today, bang in the middle of the one hour slot they promised. You cant be sniffy about RS, seriously good service.

Its been running for an hour. First impressions:

The bad.
1- It failed the WAF test. She is not impressed with the look compared to the Gyro / SME.
2- I don't like the arm. Compared to the SME its a bit toy like. The arm height adjustment is too high at its lowest setting. I cant get my Lyra Dorian to ride flat at the back, I've had to add a Funk Firm Achromat to add a bit of height to the platter. I'll try my Rohmann later, its a lot deeper.

The Good.
1- It is hewn from a single billet of seriously heavy stuff! It might look little compared to the Gyro but it is an engineering marvel.
2- It sounds amazing out of the box just plonked on a coffee table. Not just saying that, I put no effort at all into setting it up and it is significantly better than anticipated. Just rock solid and confident. I was expecting a small soundstage compered to the Gyro, but its big and bold. Lots of playing and fettling to do now...

The wife will grow to love, I am quite sure I will!

I had the same VTA problems with my 1200G, I swapped the stock arm for a Jelco SA750D and now have no VTA problems.
It also looks pretty good on the Technics and doesn't sound too shabby either.

Same here (I owned Early’s for a short while). With the stock shell I could get a 2M Black about level with the arm down as far as it would go. A bit of a design fail there IMHO. The 2M is not a shallow cart by any stretch, so it would very obviously nose-dive with many.

That’s a weird design flaw. Could a differently formed headshell from the Technics one position the cart lower relative to the mounting collar?

The odd thing is the stock Technics headshell is already at the shallow end of the scale. I carefully compared it to a standard SME 3009 headshell and a very nice fancy Nagaoka magnesium one and both would have increased the VTA issue from the stock shell by a couple of mm and have required a spacer to get even the fairly deep 2M Black level.

I had the same VTA problems with my 1200G, I swapped the stock arm for a Jelco SA750D and now have no VTA problems.
It also looks pretty good on the Technics and doesn't sound too shabby either.
Seems a great shame as they make such a fuss about the magnesium alloy and other tonearm refinements in their sales copy! What a weird issue...

Late here but glad to hear you are enjoying the Technics. I found my sojourn with a big DD deck informative. It led to an appreciation of pitch stability and the sound of master tape as opposed to vinyl, which none of the British decks have IME - with the exception of the SME 30/12a.

Same here (I owned Early’s for a short while). With the stock shell I could get a 2M Black about level with the arm down as far as it would go. A bit of a design fail there IMHO. The 2M is not a shallow cart by any stretch, so it would very obviously nose-dive with many.

Interesting, my GR with a 2M Blue is dead level with the height set at 1 on the dial.

advertisement

Back