advertisement

Rega RP10 or Technics SL1200G - which should I buy?

Nah, don't go to a dealer, you'll just get sucked in. Imagine the glee when they hear.....'Hi, I have several grand burning a hole in my pocket.....'

Yeah why go to a dealer and listen for youself when you could just take someones suggestion on here and save yourself the time......

If you're going to go the Rega route, I would just wait for the P10 to be announced, which I imagine will be fairly soon. I do also like the Technics, though if I were to get one, I'd switch the tonearm to a Jelco 750DB.

Absolutely. Timing is vital when buying new. I I once bought some Heybrook HB1s just as the HB2s (smoother treble) came out. The dealer was OK with swapping though.

Still think the Technics shades it overall unless the the P10 is to be a big jump forward (shades of Naiad).

Is this PFM or AOS ? This forum has the same basic background colour as before but do I detect differently tinted glasses ? Good God Man, are you a thuddy or do you delight in nuances of bass texture ?
And now seriously, no idea, as I have heard neither of them nor am I likely to.

I am Japanese and I have enough money to purchase Technics 1200G. But for me, that sound is not good at all! I heard it many times. Perhaps because they threw their turntable in the trash can, along with their skills on the turntables. The real purpose of Technics is not to love music, but to simply make money at the time of a recordable "record bubble". I am strongly angry at their way of business as a Japanese. I strongly support solid REGA.

You’ve posted this on two forums now. What are you angry about with regards to their way of business?

Matsushita are taking the piss asking £3k for an appliance they've been stamping out since 1972.

Perhaps Rega should stop producing decks for a couple of years and then bring them all back out again at triple the current asking price.

yb3jztquuf2kfu43fycl.jpg

l myself own a tricked up Gyro and a tricked up Techie, the difference in sound is quite striking and a nice contrast to have.

Both very nice decks, have fun.

I've nothing against 1200/1210s, but I just can't see me spending £3k on one, if I was going to splash that kinda cash on a Techie DD it would be on an SP10!

The 1200G has nothing in common with the Mk I-V. No parts at all. It weighs 22kg too!
Yep absolutely... and in fairness, the same is true of the LP12, well maybe the motor pulley is the same, not sure on that buy every other part has been updated since the original deck was released albeit incrementally.

22kg for the Technics though! Definitely not aimed at DJs then, not in the days of class D amplification and active PA cabs.

The 1200G has nothing in common with the Mk I-V. No parts at all. It weighs 22kg too!

someone needs to make this the first post of very thread like this. this "charging a lot more for the same thing" sentiment is odd and it keeps getting repeated

I’ve heard the 1200G, if that’s the expensive o e they launched first, with an SME 5 on it and an Ortofon Anna, sounded disgusting to me but then it could have been the SME, never heard one yet I’ve liked. If you want different look at a Well Tempered.The owner of the afore said 1200 is now buying a Royale 400 but there’s no need to go to such extremes, even the Simplex is worth a listen.

I
yb3jztquuf2kfu43fycl.jpg

Is that Walter White above? With Mr Fring?

Why not expand the search to some German TTs?
Amazon Audio
Scheu Diamond

Some of them are so heavy that you will never bother to change your turntable again ...

I bought the Technics. I will of course claim to have demo'd 300 decks in the pursuit of audio perfection before settling on the Technics in the years to come.
Richer Sounds, £500 off and next day delivery. How very unaudiophile!

I bought the Technics. I will of course claim to have demo'd 300 decks in the pursuit of audio perfection before settling on the Technics in the years to come.
Richer Sounds, £500 off and next day delivery. How very unaudiophile!

Well done! In the real world you've just bought one of the best record players ever built.

Of course in the audiophile world you've made a big mistake. But in the audiophile world there are no correct answers....only the next upgrade.

advertisement

Back