advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

Hi again;
Tell me please one more your secret :)
What "language" is native for S2 DAC - DSD I guess?
Because I want to send "him" exactly what "he" likes the most (except MQA manipulations of course) :)
Stream that must be minimally preprocessed inside S2 - before converting to analog.

Everyone's ears are different. Find what sounds best to you. This feature-packed little DAC will allow you to explore. Some cannot hear a difference between 320k MP3 and Hi-Res 24/192 FLAC files, while others will not go lower than 24/96. Some love MQA, while others find it too loud and overdriven. Some love the detail in DSD, while others find it too cold and analytical. Take your time and enjoy exploring all the features of your Pre Box S2 Digital.

Using the external power supply makes a big improvement to the USB sound. Adding a USB REGEN makes an additional small improvement, but not as much as the external power. As an experiment I've ordered a linear (non-switching) adapter to replace the stock adapter. I'll post a report here.

Oh and one more thing: I officially can no longer call this product the "S2". Because I've placed an order for a Pro-Ject Amp Box S2.

I ordered and got an iFi iPower, and have tested it today. Even with the improved power I had before from the iFi nano iUSB, the iFi iPower took the DAC to a new level. So now I have the iFi nano iUSB3 for USB reclocking and cleaning, and iFi iPower for stable power (connected to the micro USB om the DAC). Probably a little overkill, but it sound awesome :)

I did some quick A/B also, if the S2 DAC sounds like a 5 directly connected to the computer, adding the iFi iPower took it to 8, adding USB reclocking and cleaning took it to 9. I reserve the 10 for a high end quality linear power or something like a ultraRendu (which would be totally overkill and costs more than the DAC, but still)

I know this thread is about the pre-box, but is there any information on the S2 DAC only box? The info on the pre-box stresses the dual mono construction and the Sabre ESS9038 dual DAC. Is it a reasonable assumption that the DAC only version doesn't have these, and how much difference is it likely to make in practice?

I know this thread is about the pre-box, but is there any information on the S2 DAC only box? The info on the pre-box stresses the dual mono construction and the Sabre ESS9038 dual DAC. Is it a reasonable assumption that the DAC only version doesn't have these, and how much difference is it likely to make in practice?

You mean the DAC Box S2 + (with a space between "S2" and "+"...)? We'll have to ask @JohnW — eureka, the XenForo tagging works! — but this appears to be another of his designs.

The data sheet says "D/A converter...1x ESS9038Q2M", so yes it has the same chip but not the dual DAC design of the Pre Box S2 Digital. On that line the data sheet also says "32-bit PCM 768kHz / DSD512", but this is clarified in the user guide as being only via USB, while optical and coaxial are limited to PCM up to 24b/192 kHz, which are the same specs as the Pre Box S2 Digital. It also has USB filtering like the Pre Box S2 Digital design.

Contrary to what some retailers have been claiming in their advance offers, it does not do MQA. Overall this product contains a subset of the Pre Box S2 Digital features, and may be all many customers will ever need.

I also think its single ESS9038, while the S2 Digital has dual mono ESS9038. Not sure how much of a difference that makes though.

Would this be the recommendation for a headphone system or would the head box S2 digital be the better option? Is the DAC the same in both?

Left Channel,

If thats you in your profile picture them I'm MORE then happy to come over in person to check your DAC has the correct Caps fitted :D

advertisement

Back