advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

Left Channel,

If thats you in your profile picture them I'm MORE then happy to come over in person to check your DAC has the correct Caps fitted :D

:—) Actually it's @BertilR who is worried about his caps.

For the new forum layout I've been trying to copy over my signature from other forums too. Note the video link:

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

Hey don't worry - I also get confused about the naming of "my" designs!!! here in the lab we just call them L1, L2 (Head Box) & L3 (Pre Box)...

Hello;
Foobar output is configured to stream to Pre Box S2 - via WASAPI (event) driver, 32-bit.
But Foobar talks: "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 32-bit / 2 channels"
How do you think, is it Pro Ject driver problem or Foobar WASAPI component issue?
Under the same conditions, for 24-bit is OK - but S2 is 44,1/32 bit capable?

Hello;
Foobar output is configured to stream to Pre Box S2 - via WASAPI (event) driver, 32-bit.
But Foobar talks: "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 32-bit / 2 channels"
How do you think, is it Pro Ject driver problem or Foobar WASAPI component issue?
Under the same conditions, for 24-bit is OK - but S2 is 44,1/32 bit capable?

In foobar Preferences, under Playback > Output, use the Pro-Ject ASIO driver. I am experiencing no problem with "DSD : ASIO : Pro-Ject Box ASIO" or "ASIO : Pro-Ject Box ASIO".

Last edited:
The S2 Digital is the better DAC due to the dual ESS's & extra PSU's.

It's a pity because I am sure many have no need for a headphones out or a pre...
How difficult would it be to disconnect the headphone amplifier section,if at all possible? In a Teac I used to own all we had to do was unplug it from the PSU (no de-soldering get necessary).
Can the adjustable line out be bypassed?

Thanks,
Ric

It's a pity because I am sure many have no need for a headphones out or a pre...
How difficult would it be to disconnect the headphone amplifier section,if at all possible? In a Teac I used to own all we had to do was unplug it from the PSU (no de-soldering get necessary).
Can the adjustable line out be bypassed?

Thanks,
Ric

Why not just run cables from the pre outs to your own headphone amplifier? That stage should be transparent.

Although in the "Foobar control panel..." - but ASIO driver works perfectly :))

Thanks a lot;
Lonek

Glad to help, and glad you figured out my meaning. I went back and fixed that in the original post, in case someone else needing that info stumbles upon this thread. It's great to have XenForo features like unlimited editing now!

Why not just run cables from the pre outs to your own headphone amplifier? That stage should be transparent.

I don't use headphones. All I need is a DAC with fixed line-outputs.
I tried to say that in my first sentence but apparently was unsuccessful...

I don't use headphones. All I need is a DAC with fixed line-outputs.
I tried to say that in my first sentence but apparently was unsuccessful...

OK sorry. But if you set the volume control to 0 db, the preamp RCA jacks become fixed line outputs.

Yes, as Pro-Ject have confirmed to me, all customer units shipped have the high quality Lelon caps fitted (and not the inferior sound quality Pink caps used on the first internal engineering units). :)
20171106_211802.jpg
If they say they use Lelon across the all board then they're wrong these capacitors are much much worse than Lelon! "hope i got a picture this time"
20171106_211802.jpg
https://minfil.org/55l5V5cdb1/20171106_211802.jpg

fuller review here of the unit: http://www.stereolifemagazine.com/news/item/1306-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital

just messaged friend of mine here in the States - product director for Pro-Ject, and have asked him about availability and pricing
reckon across the pond, it will probably cost at least $399.00

if it does everything it claims that's one helluva bargain, would love to put it up against my Brooklyn DAC and Brooklyn DAC+

just heard from my friend at Pro-Ject.... the unit is backordered in the hundreds and they haven't even started shipping in the States - confirmation $399 if you can get your hands one one, as of this morning only two units are in the States and they are being exhibited at shows, most recently RMAF and CanJam

an optional (silver) remote control is available
Control it Pre Box S2 digital (silver)
MSRP $49

Last edited:
Yes, as Pro-Ject have confirmed to me, all customer units shipped have the high quality Lelon caps fitted (and not the inferior sound quality Pink caps used on the first internal engineering units). :)

20171106_211802.jpg
If they say they use Lelon across the all board then they're wrong these capacitors are much much worse than Lelon! "hope i got a picture this time"
20171106_211802.jpg
https://minfil.org/55l5V5cdb1/20171106_211802.jpg

@BertilR I see yours are "K 50 1000 6.3V". Mine all say "F7 OCRZ 1000 6.3V". Both OK @JohnW?

fuller review here of the unit: http://www.stereolifemagazine.com/news/item/1306-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital

just messaged friend of mine here in the States - product director for Pro-Ject, and have asked him about availability and pricing
reckon across the pond, it will probably cost at least $399.00

if it does everything it claims that's one helluva bargain, would love to put it up against my Brooklyn DAC and Brooklyn DAC+

just heard from my friend at Pro-Ject.... the unit is backordered in the hundreds and they haven't even started shipping in the States - confirmation $399 if you can get your hands one one, as of this morning only two units are in the States and they are being exhibited at shows, most recently RMAF and CanJam

an optional (silver) remote control is available
Control it Pre Box S2 digital (silver)
MSRP $49

I can confirm a US dealer also told me $399 but cannot order stock yet. Until this month they did not even have a price. I've seen no US reviews either.

I have not heard a Brooklyn/Brooklyn+. That would probably be an unfair comparison ...but if not, Mytek customers are going to be feeling cheated!

I can confirm a US dealer also told me $399 but cannot order stock yet. Until this month they did not even have a price. I've seen no US reviews either.

I have not heard a Brooklyn/Brooklyn+. That would probably be an unfair comparison ...but if not, Mytek customers are going to be feeling cheated!
when i hear from my contact that they are available in the States, will let you and the rest of the forum know

advertisement

Back