advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

@Sonci Yes I did, one likes to live on the edge. Also I wanted a remote to switch inputs as I also use the SPDIF out on my TV to feed the DAC and I'm far too lazy to get up and switch the toggle on the Benchmark.

If it's average, I'll buy something else :)

Hi all!
So, much to my surprise, the issue was apparently with Tidal after all. I have no clue why the Explorer 2 could handle the MQA unfolding without drop-outs while the S2 could not before the latest Tidal release though. The only thing I have noted is that judging from the LEDs on the Explorer 2, it also took a few seconds for it to unfold the MQA stream (change to blue light). I have however not had time to check how the LEDs behave with this new update (if there is something in the new version of Tidal that has sped up this process).
The problem appeared in Roon as well, playing MQA from TIdal. If it works in Roon now also, it would indicate a source problem, or maybe a Tidal server/service problem. But maybe someone who uses MQA in Roon can check, I don't use MQA myself (can't combine MQA with room correction).

@Sonci Yes I did, one likes to live on the edge. Also I wanted a remote to switch inputs as I also use the SPDIF out on my TV to feed the DAC and I'm far too lazy to get up and switch the toggle on the Benchmark.

If it's average, I'll buy something else :)
Did you really have a benchmak dac 2 ?? It have a remote and all what you want, I have a benchmark 2 and probably will not buy it for this pre box, schiit Bifrost seems to be too much better.

If you want really a better sound quality than benchmark buy an audiomat tempo 2.8 a french product awesone quality but high price, 3500 euros, another world, you can't buy it for 350 usd..

If you want really a better sound quality than benchmark buy an audiomat tempo 2.8 a french product awesone quality but high price, 3500 euros, another world, you can't buy it for 350 usd..
Is it better because it's french?:D

Well it's here. Been doing some A/Bing with the Benchmark for the past hour and I must say I really like it! I'm currently only using the COAX from the Pi/HiFiberry and swapping cables between the two DACS, not ideal but the fairest method I can do at the moment. I'm currently also using the standard power supply as the iFi has yet to arrive.

Sound - A little more attack in the bass and separation of Lauryn Hill's vocal in The Fugees 'Ready or Not' which I've been using as my main test track. Separation is the big takeaway for me, songs sound a little less muddy. It's only subtle and I don't want to read too much into it as it's hardly a scientific test and maybe that placebo new gear factor. Played some of my test tracks, Sade, Steely Dan, Simply Red, Nirvana and all sounding wonderful.

Without wanting to read too much into it just yet certainly not worse, and with the iFi power to come and switching to USB input, playing with DSD, Allo USBbridge and MQA support (need to go get a compatible cable to test Tidal on my Macbook Pro) it isn't just the sidegrade I thought it would be, but a potentially surprising upgrade.

Cheers!

The real problem with the dacs is that differences are subtle and without AB test we could not tell which dac is in use.
Benchmark 1 dac is an old product, not curious pre box is better.

A comparison to Chord Mojo or iFi Black Label would be interesting. They are a little more expensive and have from what I have heard very good sound.

My S2 stays on 24/7 since I have ran a usb cable down to my main computer (my Roon Core) in my office. The unit barely gets warm. I am assuming I am ok leaving it on. In fact, I think having it warmed up improves the sound (could be just me). I was going to get a higher end DAC (Mytek Brooklyn+) before a new amp. I think now, I will just keep using the S2 because I am doubting I will hear any jaw dropping difference.

My S2 stays on 24/7 since I have ran a usb cable down to my main computer (my Roon Core) in my office. The unit barely gets warm. I am assuming I am ok leaving it on. In fact, I think having it warmed up improves the sound (could be just me). I was going to get a higher end DAC (Mytek Brooklyn+) before a new amp. I think now, I will just keep using the S2 because I am doubting I will hear any jaw dropping difference.

The Brooklyn+ headphone amp is probably better, though it doesn't sound like you're using that feature anyway. And one could add something else inline for headphones anyway, like the Pro-Ject Headbox RS, DS, or S, or — my favorites — one of the Schiit headphone amps.

The Brooklyn+ headphone amp is probably better, though it doesn't sound like you're using that feature anyway. And one could add something else inline for headphones anyway, like the Pro-Ject Headbox RS, DS, or S, or — my favorites — one of the Schiit headphone amps.

My Pre-amp (rogue rp-5) already has a headphone jack. I rarely listen thru headphones.

I do think the USB has a slight edge over the Coax input. I’m sure we’ll hear more comparisons to other dacs once theirs more availability over here. In the meantime, i may order a second one for another preamp input to handle Apple Tv ( wife prefers airplay) and she only has to mess with one input switch on my preamp

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC and while I'm absolutely delighted with it -- incredible sound for its price point -- I'm having the before mentioned problem of the channels being switched while playing DSD.

I'm playing DSD64 via DoP using Roon and a Squeezebox Touch with Enhanced Digital Output. And the problem is consistent: whenever a DSD (.dsf) track starts, the channels get switched.

I've read on this forum that some of you have had the same problem and solved It with a beta firmware. I'd like to try it, if anyone could send it to me I'd be very much obliged.

Thanks in advance :)

Good morning. I'm new in this forum.
I'm writing from Italy.
Yesterday i received my new s2 DAC. I hoped it arrives with latest firmware, but I noticed soon that when it plays dsf music, the channels are switched.:(
So I need a firmware for correct the problem. Please someone can send me latest firmware? :)
Thank You
Ercole

advertisement

Back