advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

@microtone I have not tried it but theoretically it is possible to upsample to DSD512 using foo_dsd_asio.
This review mentions "Galvanically-isolated USB XMOS solution"
https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/shop/product/viewfile?FileId=2827&ProductId=741

Pro-Ject only mentions "double filtering" (for S2+... no mention for S2 Digital at all)

So is the USB input fully galvanically isolated? Either the review spreads false information, or Pro-Ject is doing bad job not marketing latest buzzwords. ;)

We have it from the designer himself that it is no galvanic isolation: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...box-s2-digital-dac.201691/page-5#post-3221808

BTW, firmware 2.12 officially released and available for download on Project (box-designs) website :)

Changelog:
DSD channel swap problem rectified
Pop noises on samplerate changes problem rectified
MQA drop-out problem rectiefied

BTW, firmware 2.12 officially released and available for download on Project (box-designs) website :)

Changelog:
DSD channel swap problem rectified
Pop noises on samplerate changes problem rectified
MQA drop-out problem rectiefied

Thanks Manchos. Do you work with John or Pro-Ject? I did not find a change log on the Pro-Ject website, and the Pro-Ject support manager emailed the update to me without a list of changes. I am interested in learning more about the MQA drop-out fix.

The firmware update utility did not work for me (it is asking for a missing dll), so perhaps it must be extracted to a specific location. I was able to update using the Pro-Ject Windows control panel, and I have 2.12 running now.

The firmware update instructions on the Pro-Ject website require some corrections. I have emailed suggestions to the Pro-Ject support manager, along with a report of the update utility error.

I have installed "Pro-Ject UNI Driver v4.38.0 for Windows" and after that firmware update - using "Utility"; and works! :)

To where did you extract the firmware update utility? Wherever that dll is, it can't find it on my machine.

The control panel's update feature works well enough anyway. I'm still testing 2.12 but it seems to be working well.

@left channel I have nothing to do with John :) I´ve just read a post from Pro-ject that FW was released.
So I just wanted to share the news...I follow this thread from the beginning, because I still consider buying S2 Digital.

I saw a notification on their FB page (https://www.facebook.com/PJ.Audio.Systems/)

Thanks! Found the post here [link]. I followed the Pro-Ject page a long time ago, but apparently Facebook somehow decided I don't want to see their posts. I in fact absolutely love the Pro-Ject modern design sense.

Of course that post was made at 12:27 AM my time, and the Pro-Ject support manager e-mailed the firmware to me a few minutes earlier, so on my normal schedule I wouldn't have seen it for a while anyway.

I've sent a PM to @JohnW asking for more detail on the MQA-related changes. I hope he has time to answer. His work on this has been pro bono I believe, on issues Pro-Ject should have caught in testing. A recent Tidal update fixed many problems, but hopefully this enhances the experience.

I think that "ds2waudioapi_x64.dll" and "ds2waudioapi.dll" ought to be in C:\Program Files\Pro-Ject Audio Systems\WX_Driver\W10_x64
All other needed .DLLs are in WIN system directory.
And try run "Utility" as Admin

Funny. Their instructions certainly doesn't say anything like that, just "download and extract" the files, then run the utility. There are other problems in that PDF, including incorrect section headings (not to mention all the German-style quotation marks, but I could live with those). For now I've deleted those pages from the PDF, leaving only the control panel instructions page in my Dropbox folder.

This is yet another example of balls being dropped between Pro-Ject and their Czech manufacturing partner, and why we often permanently assign a home office employee to just sit, watch, and jump on problems at offshore manufacturing plants. It's a cost that many executives never seem to anticipate.

doesn't say anything like that
I think there is not necessary to write this information in firmware upgrade instructions.
Firstly - those DLls are installed automatically during driver upgrading;
and secondly - are written in "ds2wDfu.xml file": "...!-- GUID required to locate the driver DLL...";
IMORTANT: This GUID must be equal to the one specified in the 'InterfaceGUID=' statement in custom.ini " - driver update .INI

I think there is not necessary to write this information in firmware upgrade instructions.
Firstly - those DLls are installed automatically during driver upgrading;
and secondly - are written in "ds2wDfu.xml file": "...!-- GUID required to locate the driver DLL...";
IMORTANT: This GUID must be equal to the one specified in the 'InterfaceGUID=' statement in custom.ini " - driver update .INI

Well the GUID certainly matches the one in my custom.ini file. Running as Administrator doesn't help it find the DLLs. Perhaps they hard-coded the path to look in drive C for their program directory. My Program Files directories are on my D drive.

advertisement

Back