advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

Good morning. I'm new in this forum.
I'm writing from Italy.
Yesterday i received my new s2 DAC. I hoped it arrives with latest firmware, but I noticed soon that when it plays dsf music, the channels are switched.:(
So I need a firmware for correct the problem. Please someone can send me latest firmware? :)
Thank You
Ercole

PM sent.

Hello Left channel.
Thank you very much for the firmware, I will test it as soon as possible and I will make the result on the forum.
Kind regards and good listening to the whole forum :)
Ercole

Glad to help! PM sent.
Hi, another newbie looking for the firmware.

Also, some of the drop outs with mqa were cured by changing my USB cable. The one I'd been using on my old DAC was fine with 16/44.1, but didn't like the higher resolution stuff.

Hi, another newbie looking for the firmware.

Also, some of the drop outs with mqa were cured by changing my USB cable. The one I'd been using on my old DAC was fine with 16/44.1, but didn't like the higher resolution stuff.

PM sent. Funny about the cables. Just when they've almost got me convinced cables don't matter...

PM sent. Funny about the cables. Just when they've almost got me convinced cables don't matter...

I know, however, if it is down to bandwidth, I've no idea if the old cable was even 2.0.... Worked great on my old DAC tho...

Thanks for the firmware, will update that later today.

Hi could you please send me the 2.11 update and other files as i didn't receive the cd either

PM sent. I only have the beta, but it behaves like a final release. The Pro-Ject website now offers the missing CD contents, but does not yet include the firmware update. I've included both, plus my corrections to the manual on the power connections and DSD/MQA local file playback.

That is appreciated! There is also an option to download the latest drivers on the website, if you enter your serial number. I did this and with the security certificate but device manager throws up a problem with the driver not being security signed

That is appreciated! There is also an option to download the latest drivers on the website, if you enter your serial number. I did this and with the security certificate but device manager throws up a problem with the driver not being security signed

Any warning that "Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software" can be ignored in this case. It just means the manufacturer didn't pay their tithe to the Church of Microsoft, er, I mean didn't submit their driver to the fee-based verification process which mainly serves to delay product release. Just saying.

I still cannot get an MQA file to play via Tidal. But it wil play a downloaded MQA sample played with Musicbee. I suspect an issue with Tidal itself

I still cannot get an MQA file to play via Tidal. But it wil play a downloaded MQA sample played with Musicbee. I suspect an issue with Tidal itself

Tidal MQA setup is hidden quite ingeniously. Let's make sure all your boxes are ticked.

Open the Tidal app, and then:
* click on "HiFi" or "Masters" at the lower right of the app,
* make sure Quality is set to "Master" and the Sound Output is set to the Pro-Ject,
* hover over the DAC's name until the gear icon appears, click on the gear, and
* select all three items in there.

Yup all three ticked. Frustrating! I'm in touch with Tidal to. Hopefully they can sort it. The DAC plays 24bit 384khz files beautifully!

So does this thing sound any good or is it just intended for geek-ness?

The DAC competes well with my Modi 2U. The built-in headphone amp is weaker than my Magni 2U. I keep going back to my Magni/Modi stack, but I do enjoy geeking out over MQA, DSD, and filters with the Pre Box S2 Digital. It's been an excellent and reasonably-priced way to explore the possibilities.

Has anyone managed to use DSD512 native mode on Windows?
From what I understand, there is a modification in linux that allows the use of the native DSD mode up to DSD512, then it should also work on windows, only a suitable OS driver is missing.
I was able to use up to DSD256 via DoP on Windows without any problems, but I would like to try upsampling via Foobar, SOX SRC up to 1411/1536kHz, and the SACD plugin up to DSD512 to test the possible better sound quality. Maybe also get the trial version of HQPlayer.
In the DAC release material it is clearly specified that it plays files at the rate of DSD512, so Pro-Ject should provide the appropriate software, but John Westlake informed us in this same thread, that his firmware fix work was done to service users, without compensation from Pro-ject.
However it is a small big DAC, PCM files upsampled to DSD256 never sounded better on my system. Well done!

advertisement

Back