advertisement

Pre Raspberry Pi delivery question please.

Take a copy of the SD card on your PC in this configuration. This is your backup.

You can then reflash this if you run into further problems, without having to go right back to a clean installation

I should also have said:
do this every time you get a stable working system - you can leave the copies of your earlier stable versions alone, or overwrite them if you're certain this is the new truly wonderful and definitive version ;)

This means you can roll back to earlier versions whenever you want without tearing your hair out and getting worried about how to undo what you've broken. You go back to how it was before you broke it and have a chance to break it in a completely new, different and wonderful way :)

(I really should listen to my own advice and do this more often)

Top lads for that info. and advice. I'll be backing this card up now. I take it I just save it on a hard drive?

I've actually just put Volumio on another card, not dared stick it in to the PI yet in case it spits it out :D

I hope to run the RPI/IQUAUDIO Dac on ipcore and the RPI/Mdac on Volumio.

Watch all this go tits up tomorrow when I try it!

Again, all these tips and advice are really appreciated, many thanks for sticking with it. Good guys!

I'm going to be giving a Pi another go after my last failed attempt.

Until reading this thread, I had planned to use Moode, but now unsure. What are the advantages of using Picore Player over Moode? I see Tidal can used, can Spotify?

Until reading this thread, I had planned to use Moode, but now unsure. What are the advantages of using Picore Player over Moode? I see Tidal can used, can Spotify?

From my limited experience and help gleaned on here over the last couple of weeks I reckon Spotify could easily be set up on Picore.

I've now after starting again yesterday made a fresh ipcore card that is now working 100% with Tidal and my IQAUDIO on board dac
I will be removing that card later today for safe keeping and putting another card in which I flashed Volumio to yesterday. I'm hoping to have this second card running using RPI to MDAC via USB.

Why don't you give Volumio a go too so I won't be on my own when I'm crying that I'm in the shite again:D

Still reckon this RPI is a great little piece of kit with SQ I'd certainly not believed was possible.
Good luck and keep us posted how you get on.

Spotify/Tidal is available through LMS/piCoreplayer (subscription required for both)

Volumio2 has, i think a plugin for Spotify, don't know about tidal. I only ever tried Volumio once about 18 months ago and gave up trying to install.

Moode Player, latest version has a choice of kernels (same as picoreplayer - use the audio version).

Tidal should be available using something like this and compatible setting in Moode. Spotify can be accessed this way but requires rooting your Android tablet or phone.

Spotify is possible as a service on Moode and requires a line or two of code if your happy doing this.

Easy way is to use LMS for both.

ronnie.

Well, success of a kind. Put newly flashed Volumio card in to RPI, put in the ip address I use for Ipcore and bloody hell I was in the main Volumio page.

Went into "devices" and it recognised the MDAC I have USB'd to Raspberry.
It also said "i2s off", I do have an option to switch it on but don't know whether I need to?

Seemed a lot simpler than ipcore/LMS to get that far, although it could be fooling me.

Then I decided to download the Tidal plugin and see if I can get some music out of it.
Pressed "plugins" but the only one showing was Spotify........good news for Bourneendboy I hope. Nothing else there apart from that one plugin though.

Tidal does not seem to be on the plugins list, pressed search and tried to download Tidal from the laptop but it never worked.
Others seem to have got Tidal working with Volumio, do I need a 3rd party programme to do this do you reckon. I've seen Ickstream mentioned but don't know whether I should mess about with that yet.
Anyone used Volumio yet?
Thanks guys.

Volumio working well, but I can only get radio stations, no chance of Tidal apparently.

So I'll wipe it and try Rune next. Anyone used that?

Well, success of a kind. Put newly flashed Volumio card in to RPI, put in the ip address I use for Ipcore and bloody hell I was in the main Volumio page.

Went into "devices" and it recognised the MDAC I have USB'd to Raspberry.
It also said "i2s off", I do have an option to switch it on but don't know whether I need to?

Seemed a lot simpler than ipcore/LMS to get that far, although it could be fooling me.

Then I decided to download the Tidal plugin and see if I can get some music out of it.
Pressed "plugins" but the only one showing was Spotify........good news for Bourneendboy I hope. Nothing else there apart from that one plugin though.

Tidal does not seem to be on the plugins list, pressed search and tried to download Tidal from the laptop but it never worked.
Others seem to have got Tidal working with Volumio, do I need a 3rd party programme to do this do you reckon. I've seen Ickstream mentioned but don't know whether I should mess about with that yet.
Anyone used Volumio yet?
Thanks guys.

Nice one! I have next Sunday set aside for setting up as my wife is out for the day. Hopefully Volumio it is the!

Well if I can get Volumino playing music in 5 minutes I'm sure you can mate:D

I've sadly wiped it off the card now as it won't do Tidal.
Just waiting for Runeaudio to download now to try that instead.

What's the tie up/difference with Roon/Rune by the way?

You're only saying that so I don't give you grief again :D

I'll report back on Rune. At least I have my Ipcore/LMS card to fall back on now, thanks to you and Ronnie.

Looked at the Rune site. Looks like a nice set up and there appears to be Spotify integration. I can switch between Roon and IPeng/LMS quite smoothly with Picoreplayer. Really enjoying it with the screen and just added code to increase the suze of the artwork which looks great.

Do you reckon I'll get Tidal working on it Del, It's not downloaded yet.

So you can get rune via LMS?

I'm having separate cards it looks like, one for Rune via MDAC and one for Picore/LMS via Iqaudio dac. Hmmm, am I doing this wrong again?

Some blokes talk about using a digi card for connecting to a remote dac.
Is this where I went wrong, I was just using the USBs on the RPI's motherboar
d.

Thanks.

Cheers Del. What does a digi board do mate? Do I need one in reality to hook up to the MDAC or can I just usb the MDAC in to the rpi motherboard?

Kenny, pm your details if you want to try a spdif board. I can post on Tuesday.

ronnie

Thanks Ronnie. Briefly what do I need it for?

Because I have no more Milk Tray :p

Do you reckon I'll get Tidal working on it Del, It's not downloaded yet.

So you can get rune via LMS?

I'm having separate cards it looks like, one for Rune via MDAC and one for Picore/LMS via Iqaudio dac. Hmmm, am I doing this wrong again?

Your fine. I use Roon. Different to Rune.I use IPeng/LMS for Iplayer and certain radio channels not yet accessible on Roon. When I stop LMS on the PiCoreplayer page, I can use my Pi as a player(Endpoint) for Roon.

I'll try Roon then. No way can I get Rune connected or even show up when I boot the RPI up with it in.

Cheers Del.

I'll tell you what Kenny, you've done well to stick this out and get a result mate. With all this farting about this is never ever going to happen for me. I just want something you plug in and it plays :cool:

I'll try Roon then. No way can I get Rune connected or even show up when I boot the RPI up with it in.

Cheers Del.

Read up on Roon. Roon also requires a subscription but you can trial it. Ask them for an extended trial. They may allow this. Roon is an interface. You will need to run it's core OS on a separate machine. I run the core on a headless Mac mini. You can then add software known as Roon Bridge to your Pi. Instructions are available on the site. It has several interesting tools that you can read about. Have fun.

advertisement

Back