advertisement

Pre Raspberry Pi delivery question please.

Lancs to here (Surrey) is a bit too far, even with the great generosity I have experienced from Fishies!

My experience is that the very best person to offer advice is someone in the same boat who has solved a problem. Experts usually assume you know far more than you really do (I speak as an 'expert' in a very narrow field who has given up trying to explain what I used to do...).

Even just sharing your summaries of the critical posts would be a help, but if I get stuck I'll certainly gratefully call on you offer of support via the phone.

Lancs to here (Surrey) is a bit too far, even with the great generosity I have experienced from Fishies!

My experience is that the very best person to offer advice is someone in the same boat who has solved a problem. Experts usually assume you know far more than you really do (I speak as an 'expert' in a very narrow field who has given up trying to explain what I used to do...).

Even just sharing your summaries of the critical posts would be a help, but if I get stuck I'll certainly gratefully call on you offer of support via the phone.

I tell you what then. As soon as your kit arrives post here, and I'll do a step by step numpty guide in numpty speak to hopefully get you going within the hour.

The thing that makes me giggle is a Pi 3 is actually about the same power as the high-end professional DEC Alpha and IBM RS/6000 Unix boxes that I so aspired to back in the early '90s!

DEC Alpha - I worked for DEC and I've worked on these for the past 25 years, every single model ever built from DEC 3000 to GS1280. What astonishes me is that people still use DEC 3000 and we still repair them!

DEC Alpha - I worked for DEC and I've worked on these for the past 25 years, every single model ever built from DEC 3000 to GS1280. What astonishes me is that people still use DEC 3000 and we still repair them!

I still miss the VAX (and the DECWriter terminals)...

Icon for Media Juke box is still showing on the Win 10 lappy I use for contolling Ipcore/RPI, it still contains a lot of forgotton rips.

Is it possible to stream them from the lappy through this set up?

Again, nice one and thanks.

I refer the rhg to the answer I gave earlier.

I believe that you would have to connect via Samba (but I don't dance well )

or transfer the to a usb stick and connect that to the pi.

ronnie

I'm about to embark on the same journey having just obtained an M-DAC.

I've been using Squeezeboxes for years but have just moved to max2play on a Raspberry pi. Currently I have the excellent Digi+ Pro on the Rpi providing SPDIF out to a DACMagic, but want to move the M-DAC in and try it with both the Digi+ output and then with USB and to then stick with whatever sounds best.

Kenny - is there any chance of you sharing your summary to help me and anyone else who is on this journey that you seem to have accomplished?

Are you using one of the new OS versions of m2p or one of the legacy?

Ronnie.

I'm going to have another go at this. I tried Moode about a year ago with a RPi2 and IQ Audio DAC+ and got right annoyed with it corrupting the image quite frequently so gave up and stuck it in a drawer. Going to try getting PiCore to work with my MDAC this time to see see how it stacks up against my Logitech Transporter and Touch - I should be able to sync all 3 and then just cycle through the MDAC inputs to compare.

I have bits of a Vax hung on my office wall.

Paul

Here's one of my test systems .....

mvax.jpg

Sorted it Del. Well done mate, great stuff. Had to put hw in front of the value but all working great now.

So one card for MDAC and one for IQUADIO.

Many thanks again.

What did you have to type in the 'Output Setting' box to get it to talk to MDAC?

It was automatically there in a list when I clicked on "output settngs" I copied and pasted the "card Mdac" line but realised I had to prefix it with hw to get it to work.

I wish we had kept mcvax, or the mythical kremvax...

Julf (who used to be mcvax!penet!julf back in the day)
The anonymous Finn...

I have a pair of boards from a Vax 11/785 CPU hanging on the wall. I tried to take a photo but my phone is crap at that. The electronics is very unambitious, even for 1980ish. It's amazing that these machines were so useful, and now we are littered with quad-core RPi spinning away wasting cycles. There's a lack of efficient elegance in most software architectures nowadays.

Anyway, well done Kenny. The Pi with its on-chip I2S is ideal for an audio source. At least you didn't have to build a kernel....

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'm amazed at what this little tiny thing is capable of, I'm thinking about buying another for a none hifi play, people are using it for all kinds of things, I'd love some ideas what other things guys on here use one for other than hifi.

I only bought one as a mate and myself were looking at streamers, the streamer in question had a big HD and CD ripper......so does my laptop though I kept telling myself
It was then a PFM'r mentioned the RPI saying it probably had a bigger processing ability than this streamer and many others. 35 quid against 1000 seemed risk free:D , providing you have a bit of patience to set it up.

Love the picture of that big old "colossus", incredible to read that the RPI is as powerful.

As a source for hifi I too now think it is well capable of fronting some quite decent gear with good results, I'd also bet it would stand its own against some of the over engineered flashy pretenders I've often seen and heard at shows.

Stick it in a large billet milled ali case with a fancy name etch printed on it and £3000 wouldn't surprise me as an ask!

Thanks Paul. I'm amazed at what this little tiny thing is capable of, I'm thinking about buying another for a none hifi play, people are using it for all kinds of things, I'd love some ideas what other things guys on here use one for other than hifi.

I have one running a weather station on our roof (measures temperature, humidity, air pressure, wind strength and direction as well as rainfall), one measuring power consumption (monitoring six outlets in addition to whole house mains), one controlling the lights, and one controlling a wifi network of 3 base stations. I have a couple of "spare" ones that get used for whatever needs a temporary server or controller.

This is in addition to the two that are playing music... :)

I have one running a weather station on our roof (measures temperature, humidity, air pressure, wind strength and direction as well as rainfall), one measuring power consumption (monitoring six outlets in addition to whole house mains), one controlling the lights, and one controlling a wifi network of 3 base stations. I have a couple of "spare" ones that get used for whatever needs a temporary server or controller.

This is in addition to the two that are playing music... :)

Cool!!!, Nice one! Any swearing setting them up?:D

I only bought one as a mate and myself were looking at streamers, the streamer in question had a big HD and CD ripper......so does my laptop though I kept telling myself
It was then a PFM'r mentioned the RPI saying it probably had a bigger processing ability than this streamer and many others. 35 quid against 1000 seemed risk free:D , providing you have a bit of patience to set it up.

Love the picture of that big old "colossus", incredible to read that the RPI is as powerful.

As a source for hifi I too now think it is well capable of fronting some quite decent gear with good results, I'd also bet it would stand its own against some of the over engineered flashy pretenders I've often seen and heard at shows.

Stick it in a large billet milled ali case with a fancy name etch printed on it and £3000 wouldn't surprise me as an ask!

If you are like me, you will try 10 different cases, then decide to add a screen which will be 4 more different cases and 7 different sizes of spacer as you try to make it all fit, then change it all again to a screen and a separate case with the Pi/DAC, connected with a fancy £25 cable that won't quite be long enough.

Oh - and don't even have a peek at the Audiophonics web site... I'll never reach £3000 but I'm trying my hardest to get close!

Like you, I'm loving the RPi as a streamer, so much so that I'll be selling a Squeezebox Touch, a Joggler and various ancillary bits sometime soon.

advertisement

Back