advertisement

Pre Raspberry Pi delivery question please.

Great to hear you got it set up Del and first impressions are favourable.

I called it even at first against a fresh on song MDAC, then edged in favour slightly for the IQ after a day or so of swapping back and forth. Adding the battery pack for me sealed the deal and for now the IQ is the main source and sounding fantastic. I even had a listen last night after being at a show yesterday listening to 10's of thousands of pounds worth of gear and it certainly did not disappoint. Main stream dac and streamer makers must hate it though.

It appears to be a more subtle sound than the Dacmagic but I'm sure that will emerge when I get a proper, extended listen and when my ears have had chance to adjust. As I have another Pi I will set them up together so I can compare more effectively. Whatever the result, I'm continually amazed that modules like this can cost so little and produce so much. I'll also order a battery pack, though I run a screen as well so may need to look at the power rating more closely.

Seems the RPI'S are the modern answer to endless tweaking. For LP12 users and tube rollers run out of options and/or withdraw symptoms :)

The funny thing is it's not really endless tweaking. It's the ability to clip in another DAC at circa 30-80 quid or one of the other enhancements (KALI clocker) etc. and see how it sounds.

With more and more firms having a go at products for the device I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm not saying it is a world beater either, but chuck a blanket over one and a 3k DAC/streamer and it will split a bind test jury, I'm convinced of it.

If it "just loses out" then for coppers it's still a mighty fine result. Also some of the dac chips used in the boards I'm now reading about are the same used in some other......errr more expensive boxes.

Roll on the first Class D 2x150wpc fag packet sized amp :D

The funny thing is it's not really endless tweaking. It's the ability to clip in another DAC at circa 30-80 quid or one of the other enhancements (KALI clocker) etc. and see how it sounds.

With more and more firms having a go at products for the device I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm not saying it is a world beater either, but chuck a blanket over one and a 3k DAC/streamer and it will split a bind test jury, I'm convinced of it.

If it "just loses out" then for coppers it's still a mighty fine result. Also some of the dac chips used in the boards I'm now reading about are the same used in some other......errr more expensive boxes.

Roll on the first Class D 2x150wpc fag packet sized amp :D

It all reads great.

Perhaps I pluck the courage up soon :)

Have you looked at the new hypex modules?

I've got a couple of big Class D's with Hypex modules. Would love to think the new ones you mention could somehow be incorporated in the PI platform.

That would be fun.

I've got a couple of big Class D's with Hypex modules. Would love to think the new ones you mention could somehow be incorporated in the PI platform.

hypex nc250mp

There is of course nothing special (apart from small size) required to "incorporate into PI platform". The Pi is one of many small-size ARM architecture linux-based computers, and you don't want to tie your system too tightly to a specific model. There will be more powerful/cheaper/smaller ones coming out, and you don't want to have to replace your DAC and amp when upgrading.

All bodes well. Thanks. Really looking forward to trying to trying something like this.

The 2 hypex amps I have are bloody good and really lack for nothing driving an array of different speakers.

It all reads great.

Perhaps I pluck the courage up soon :)

It costs very little and if you have a separate Dac then it's peanuts really. Use Tidal or Qobuz Cd quality stream and I promise you won't be disappointed. I know there are discussions about mastering and watermarking but I've rarely come across streams there are disappointing so it must be rare. Combined with Roon or LMS it is a real pleasure to use.

Please could I ask a question? OK, I understand that piCorePlayer can be used to play music stored on, say, a NAS disk etc. However, forgive me if this has already been answered earlier, but how would I use the networked pi to play, for example, YouTube or BBC Radio iPlayer music & drama?

Thanks, Andy

Please could I ask a question? OK, I understand that piCorePlayer can be used to play music stored on, say, a NAS disk etc. However, forgive me if this has already been answered earlier, but how would I use the networked pi to play, for example, YouTube or BBC Radio iPlayer music & drama?

Thanks, Andy

No problem. Picoreplayer includes various extensions including LMS which you can upload directly onto the Pi. You then have access to plug ins that include the music you have asked about. The plugins also include Shairport which is an Airplay emulator.

Iqaudio Dac+ review part 2

Spent a few more hours with this Dac board wonder. Listened to Take 5 by Brubeck Quartet and some voices including Bega, Amos and Cohen. I'm really warming to this Dac. Great levels of detail, including natural rendering of top hats, cymbals and drum brushes. The mid is a touch more recessed than my other Dac but I don't mind this as the voices are generally a little more natural. Bass appears more prominent but need to listen more to decide whether it is overly so. I like my bass tight and not overdone.I can't easily compare as both dacs have equally strong attributes. Will settle down with iit for a few more days.

Thanks, Andy

No problem. Picoreplayer includes various extensions including LMS which you can upload directly onto the Pi. You then have access to plug ins that include the music you have asked about. The plugins also include Shairport which is an Airplay emulator.

BBC live radio and 30 day playback

1_zpsduzuq4li.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

utube ( bit of hacking required, but not too hard)

2_zps1vdmah0j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You can of course, do all this from your computer or ipad, lots of ways to skin the cat!

Thanks both. I wasn't aware that the Logitech Media Server (LMS) was a piece of (free) software, rather than a physical device.

Thanks both. I wasn't aware that the Logitech Media Server (LMS) was a piece of (free) software, rather than a physical device.

Yes it's free. Download it from MySqueezebox.com and register with the site. You'll need to get into the settings to install wahat you need but there are plenty here who will help you.Let us know if you need help.
Del

Nice write up Del on the IQ by the way. Very pleased you are impressed with the initial few listens.

advertisement

Back