advertisement

OS X High Sierra

Would you say veils have been lifted and if so, how many?

Dec with my kit the improvement is obvious. Lets just say the music is better in every way. However my way may be different to others. We as a family go to a lot of live performances and its that experience that we want to achieve at home. A seat at a live venue warts and all.

Others may differ and prefer canned studio type performance or something.

I don't do A/B testing. If a change for the better is not immediately obvious and remains obvious after a period of time its not worth the bother comparing A with B. The true test is to go back to what you had previously and see what you think.

Cheers,

DV

Darth,

JR is talking about the technological singularity.

Joe

singularity.png

Has anyone else had a problem with FaceTime, Sierra and IOS 11?

I have an iMac and iPhone 6 and up until quite recently have been able to make wifi calls through the iMac and a couple of iPads.

I can still make calls using the iPads but with the iMac I can connect calls where the caller hears me but I cannot hear them.

Certain callers can call but I am unable to pick up the call. Just spent the thick end of an hour with apple support who have tried assorts to rectify the issue and scratching their heads and recommending a complete disk wipe.

Any ideas?

This Keychain security hole is very worrying (MacRumours). I’m amazed we haven’t had a point release to plug it yet. Ok, needs a trojan to work, so a considerable degree of user-stupidity, but even so why does the thing exist in a form that can be hacked?

...even crazier security bug thing: The Register. Thankfully a point release is now out to address this and the Keychain thing above, I’ll stick it on later in the hope the nice slowly moving progress bar distracts me from QT.

...update done, it takes a fair bit of time and the progress bars appear to grind to a halt a couple of times, but it got there in the end. No change to cold boot time, which still feels a good bit longer than Sierra (still pretty fast as I have an SSD).

Now this is interesting. After releasing iTunes 12.7 a couple of weeks ago, Apple have now released, er, 12.6.3 - which retains the ability to manage Apps from your Mac.

Story and links:
http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/09/get-itunes-12-6-3-with-app-store/

I've 'upgraded' to this (from 12.6.2) and yep, works fine, nothing broken.
Apple really have lost their ability to join the dots seamlessly on hardware/software integration exp w.r.t what people need and actually use stuff for - as opposed to merely decalring 'teh neuer shineh'. Oops.

Martin,

Excellent. Thanks, man.

I've still not heard definitely if the latest OSX breaks Adobe CS6. Anyone know?

Joe

I've 'upgraded' to this (from 12.6.2) and yep, works fine, nothing broken.
Apple really have lost their ability to join the dots seamlessly on hardware/software integration exp w.r.t what people need and actually use stuff for - as opposed to merely decalring 'teh neuer shineh'. Oops.

Tried to go from i.Tunes 12.7 to 12.6.2 and have run into a problem. Downloaded and installed the latter, but when I launch it a warning window opens.

It says "The file iTunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now?"

My worry is if I download iTunes it will be 12.7, which I am trying to escape from.

Should I delete the iTunes Library.itl file and launch iTunes 12.6.2 again? I assume a new Library file will be written.

Jack

The thing to me is - as post 131 above alludes - Apple have effectively 'forked' a live software package. This they never do. Big cock-up.

The thing to me is - as post 131 above alludes - Apple have effectively 'forked' a live software package. This they never do. Big cock-up.

I expect it’s been introduced to satisfy some big corporate users and will be reintroduced into the main version shortly.

They’ve been way beyond hyperventilating about iTunes 12.7 over on the Macrumours forum, so it looks like Apple have caved to punter pressure. Good to see. Not something that bothers me in this instance as 12.7 works fine for me (I have no old apps).

Martin,

Excellent. Thanks, man.

I've still not heard definitely if the latest OSX breaks Adobe CS6. Anyone know?

Joe

It's messed up my CS5 & had crashes on LR4 too.

CS5 is crashing when i'm attaching data to the image via file info.

Not a happy bunny, have a work around but it involves using another app (Photomechanic) to get the data embedded into the image.

Joe - I'm staying in El Capitan - can't see a single thing that HS 'offers' that I want or need anyway. (I came to El Cap straight from Snow Leopard for similar reasons: wait till something works really, really well enough, and you need to change -in my case, for hardware)

advertisement

Back