advertisement

OS X High Sierra

Joe - I'm staying in El Capitan - can't see a single thing that HS 'offers' that I want or need anyway. (I came to El Cap straight from Snow Leopard for similar reasons: wait till something works really, really well enough, and you need to change -in my case, for hardware)

Ive already forgotten what changes HS has over EC. Can someone remind me?

Thanks Martin and Stuntsworth.

The way Apple fiddled with the apps on the 12.7 update was rubbish and I am a Mac fan.

I have now got iTunes 12.6.3 going. Unfortunately when I plug my iPhone in it can see the existing apps on the home screen and extras, but they aren't listed in the column next door. Hence you can't manipulate them.

Just hooked my iPad up to iTunes. The apps don't appear in the device column, along with music and films etc. I have however just installed a couple of apps from the Store on the iPad using my Mac and it was quick.

One of them I have been looking for in the App Store on the Mac for weeks and I couldn't find the bloody thing.

I am not software savvy, but reckon Apple have badly messed up with the apps. They used to be easy to find, install and delete until update 12.7.

Jack

Now my laptop is auto dimming the screen on battery power. WTF! I think i'm going have to revert back on this machine - if possible....

Power setting in System Settings.

Not that. Had it enabled to slightly dim the screen on battery but this bug sees the screen go near dark after a few minutes use from half brightness level (mu usual setting). Had to jack it up to full power to stop it.

Worse update ever so far...

No idea if it's OSX High Sierra or iTunes related but since adopting High Sierra, my 7 plus' ability to sync is so bad I had to restore the phone today.

I have a large amount of music on there, roughly 180GB but for some reason with WiFi sync enabled, it would almost freeze in the sense I couldn't change or delete albums, from iTunes or the iPhone itself. A very, very frustrating experience. All I know is that I unplugged said iPhone having ejected it it would show the circular sync sign but in reality be be nothing - I left it in this state for nearly 3 days and nothing changed despite connecting the iPhone. This is the first, and worst experience I have had with iTunes since being a Mac user.

I cannot state it is High Sierra linked but the first time it has happened to me in nearly 8 years or so. :(

After a restore, ticking all desired albums, now is all fine but I wouldn't want a repeat.

RE High Sierra, as an early beta adopter, it is faster. Photos is better but besides that, there is nothing revolutionary going on to my "layman" eye's.

I think i've sorted my Light Room 4 issues out. Holding down the option & shift key while opening the app brings up an option for selecting the last catalogue LR4 created. Picked one that was done before the HS update and it's been fine since.

Maybe HS had moved the LR4 catalogue location but anyway, thanks to the person on the Adobe help forum that suggested it.

Just need to see if that tip helps with the bug in PS CS5 now.

Couldn’t sort out PS CS5. No support from Adobe for it on this OS X, so had to bite the bullet & pay £10 pm for the current PS/LRCC/LR bundle.

I’ll put my CS5 (extended) & LR4 up for sale to help towards the first year subs. Oh well...

On the upside, the latest version of iTunes sounds really good. Been impressed enough to use it on its own & not bother with Audivirna. I’ve had replay problems using it with iTunes anyway, (tracks played out of sequence, repeated etc) so it’s no real loss apart from £40 I paid for it. Didn’t get any support from them when I tried getting in touch with them either.

Software & computers eh!

Rack,

Do you think these issues affect CS6, too? I'd rather have an older OS than monthly subscription fees.

Joe

Rack,

Do you think these issues affect CS6, too? I'd rather have an older OS than monthly subscription fees.

Joe

Hey Joe.

My only experience is with CS5. If i were you, i'd stay on your current OS. Can't say i've noticed any difference between Sierra & High Sierra TBH.

I am a sucker for upgrades though.

I'm still running CS5 (now with bugs) on my iMac but will dump it soon seeing as my Adobe subs allows you two licences.

I attempted to reinstall CS5 on the laptop, which it did but then the install disc refused to load. I even tried a download but got the error message about it not being compatible.

Adobe got me this time.

Rack,

Cheers, I'd rather not give Adobe cabbage every month, as I'm more than content with Photoshop CS6. I have the latest Photoshop CC at work but I can't find any new feature that matters to me.

Granted, I don't do much more than basic colour and curve or levels adjustments, so most of Photoshop's capabilities are overkill for me. I'd upgrade the software only if I bought a new camera and needed the latest RAW plug-in, but I can't see splashing out for a new camera either. A decent digital camera and Photoshop from four years ago are plenty fancy enough for me.

Joe

Rack,

Cheers, I'd rather not give Adobe cabbage every month, as I'm more than content with Photoshop CS6. I have the latest Photoshop CC at work but I can't find any new feature that matters to me.

Granted, I don't do much more than basic colour and curve or levels adjustments, so most of Photoshop's capabilities are overkill for me. I'd upgrade the software only if I bought a new camera and needed the latest RAW plug-in, but I can't see splashing out for a new camera either. A decent digital camera and Photoshop from four years ago are plenty fancy enough for me.

Joe

I'm a fairly basic user too. Now again i do the odd bit that needs layers but i do need & use the file info for captioning pictures. They've even messed with that now so it's an extra couple of actions to get the job done. Not good when you're trying to file pictures back to the desk as fast as possible.

Even the feature where it remembered what you've previously typed in the caption field has gone, so another change for the worse once you've become used to the previous version.

Need to have another play when i get chance before the weekend comes around again.

Tony, it really isn't... Phone with wifi switched on gets near to open hotspot which records MAC address. Tesco or whoever, tie very localised geographic hotspot at till to clubcard, and so they know stuff the person whose phone is a certain mac address likes to buy, restricted hotspot detects phone at bottom of escalator and targeted video ads follow person up the escalator... Much more likely to happen within a single organisation, though, due to data protection law prohibiting data sharing

Absolutely correct. And in fact the example used (Tesco) aren't that bothered about data protection laws as their data centre is in the Channel Islands (set up by Terry Leahy's brother-in-law) specifically to avoid such.

And anyone thinking that ad tracking is a simple matter of cookies, wake up. Cookies are almost obsolete -- it's now all about "fingerprinting".

And in fact the example used (Tesco) aren't that bothered about data protection laws as their data centre is in the Channel Islands (set up by Terry Leahy's brother-in-law) specifically to avoid such.

Since when?

As far as I was aware Tesco have their DC's in the UK and the clubcard data was always managed by a company they bought to do the analytics and held in a Scottish DC.

Just updated to High Sierra and from what I can see CS6 is working as before. Just opened a raw file, played about and created some layer masks. All as expected.

Just updated to High Sierra and from what I can see CS6 is working as before. Just opened a raw file, played about and created some layer masks. All as expected.

Good news. Just don't uninstall it like i did, though i was attempting to fix the bug i mentioned earlier.

It's done now, so i'm stuck with perpetual payments now. Do Adobe offer shares?

advertisement

Back