advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXIII)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your unique brand of humour never ceases to have me doubled over my keyboard. Hilarious...

eternumviti, as our resident 'leaver in chief' what's your take on the comments of some of the (very angry) leave voters who, having voted to leave the EU to 'take back control and make the UK Parliament sovereign', are now upset that Parliament is finally getting control of the process of leaving the EU?

Stephen

No bespoke deal for Britain, yet there is one for Canada and and Norway. And we are supposed to pick one of those, off-the-shelf, ready to go, but not create a new one? The rather important dynamic difference that Canada is actually thousands of miles away suggests to me that it will not fit.

Have I understood this correctly? Barnier is saying UK should accept one of those?

The challenge for the EU negotiating team was that the British Govt turned up disagreeing with itself about what it wanted, or not knowing what it wanted and being unrealistic about what it could actually get from negotiation with a 27 state block of far higher economic power.

Have I understood this correctly? Barnier is saying UK should accept one of those?

I think we accept whatever the EU offers. That's what smaller economies do.

Still, we are special. This may be the first time in history a country has negotiated to make the trading situation with its neighbours worse. Go, UK!

Stephen

i think one important difference is that canada was prepared to sit down and go through years of discussion and negotiation in order to get to where it got to. we on the other hand, want to walk out the front door, swivel around and go straight back in, but without paying a membership fee. the old bojo 'cake and eat it' delusion (remember that? or the 'whistle for their money' wheeze?) barnier is simply stating the obvious, which is something our own politicians are criminally neglect in, viz: you can't expect to have, as a third-party country, what you currently have as a member. simple really.

There are voices far more powerful than his clamouring for hard Brexit- right inside government. I must admit I'd never considered the Jewish money theory you propose.

You're not keeping up with UKIP. First Farage and his Soros conspiracy. Now we have Godfrey Bloom and the international Jewish bankers https://twitter.com/goddersbloom/status/942664507939319809

Only a matter of time till they start talking about the rootless clique.

The EU has merely thrown May a flotation aid to get keep her leadership alive until the next phase. The threats to her from her own hard right and the right wing media will only intensify once they see what's actually on offer in the new year. We are now well past the delusional "give us what we want or we'll commit economic suicide" stage. The declining economic indicators and suspension of investment will have bitten harder by March too. I see Turmoil in the Shires.

i think one important difference is that canada was prepared to sit down and go through years of discussion and negotiation in order to get to where it got to. we on the other hand, want to walk out the front door, swivel around and go straight back in, but without paying a membership fee. the old bojo 'cake and eat it' delusion (remember that? or the 'whistle for their money' wheeze?) barnier is simply stating the obvious, which is something our own politicians are criminally neglect in, viz: you can't expect to have, as a third-party country, what you currently have as a member. simple really.

I doubt Canada had huge German and French companies breathing down Juncker's neck though.

I doubt Canada had huge German and French companies breathing down Juncker's neck though.
Juncker reports to the member states, who have agreed on a process, a set of negotiating parameters and instructions. What German or French companies do or where they breathe does not have much influence in comparison.

It's not a one-way street. This is a huge opportunity for the French and German banks to expand. Plus French car companies would love to see UK car exports to the EU decline so they could step in instead.

Plus Canada can feed itself. That alone is a very big difference.

It was really just a summary of the pressure, using Juncker as a symbol. Think more broadly, Merkel, Chambers of Commerce etc...

Merkel has been quite clear, but remember there are 26 other member states, each with an effective veto. The only way for Barnier to keep a show like that going is to stick to his negotiating mandate.

May has already frittered away the best part of a year with a silly election, and she is only now getting to the stage of holding cabinet meetings to figure out what it is the UK really wants. Neither side has a big interest in the transition period dragging on beyond 2 years (2019-2021), so an off-the-shelf solution is all there is time for. Bespoke always takes much, much more time. The Brexiters should have thought of that before invoking Art. 50.

yes but I am talking about the impending pressure coming to Merkel and other leaders from industry...it's been relatively quiet so far, but I expect the big guns to start coming out of the closet now.

It's not a one-way street. This is a huge opportunity for the French and German banks to expand. Plus French car companies would love to see UK car exports to the EU decline so they could step in instead.

Plus Canada can feed itself. That alone is a very big difference.
Just as Banks, Mogg and the other disaster capitalists see a financial opportunity for themselves in the chaos of hard Brexit, Europe based companies will naturally wish to acquire the newly released capacity in the automotive, banking and pharma sectors. The perception internationally will be- "Brexit Island- Not a Great Place to Do Business".

yes but I am talking about the impending pressure coming to Merkel and other leaders from industry...it's been relatively quiet so far, but I expect the big guns to start coming out of the closet now.
We'll see. Good to see the old "they need us more than we need them" line of thinking is still going strong in some quarters.

I am more depressed by old Kippers like Bloom trying to re-activate the "internationalist cosmopolitan Jewish cabal" theme. I suppose people like him want to make sure their prejudices are passed on to younger generations before they peg out.

What's also rather sickening is the sentiment expressed by some of the hard brexitiers- acknowledging that living standards would fall once outside the EU, they suggested it would toughen up the British lower orders and make them hungrier for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back