advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXIII)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassor

There may be more posts after this.
Because they’d have to have a border with Ireland. If we crash out that’s the inevitable consequence.
The DUP have an ambivalent stance on a border with the Republic. They don't want a hard border, but are OK with a soft technological border, but not any sort of customs union. I don't know if this kind of soft border can work as it doesn't exist anywhere else. The DUP won't entertain any “regulatory alignment” that ties them to the Republic differently than the rest of the UK. Can self interest overcome their historical intransigence? Would they precipitate a GE that could see them lose their influence and £1b? Yes I think they would do that. The only hope, it seems to me, is that May can cobble together some sort of kind of soft border that is not seen as a customs union for the whole of the UK and the EU.

LK on the BBC is very good http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42235282

The DUP have an ambivalent stance on a border with the Republic. They don't want a hard border, but are OK with a soft technological border, but not any sort of customs union. I don't know if this kind of soft border can work as it doesn't exist anywhere else. The DUP won't entertain any “regulatory alignment” that ties them to the Republic differently than the rest of the UK. Can self interest overcome their historical intransigence? Would they precipitate a GE that could see them lose their influence and £1b? Yes I think they would do that. The only hope, it seems to me, is that May can cobble together some sort of kind of soft border that is not seen as a customs union for the whole of the UK and the EU.

LK on the BBC is very good http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42235282
Thanks, that explains something that's been puzzling me, namely what do they DUP want and what, realistically, are they prepared to accept? The Laura K piece is indeed pretty good - and that's not something I say very often. ;)

Can self interest overcome their historical intransigence?

In a word, no. Never underestimate the tribal stubbornness of both sides of the Northern Irish issue. Both could conveniently adopt "No surrender!" as a slogan. The ability to shoot themselves in both feet and the head simultaneously continues.

As the phrase goes, is this a hill they're willing to die on?

We don't need to wait for an answer if we're asking the DUP.

You can picture Junker next week when he gives his press conference on progress. "Unfortunately..."

May resigns.

The DUP, like UKIP, really exist so that stupid people have some way of shouting stuff together in a way that doesn't change anything but makes them feel better for shouting. As always, make them actually do something and it is a disaster.

How reliable is this Skwawkbox site? Things could be about to get rather interesting!

Word has reached the SKWAWKBOX from Tory insiders that preparations have begun at CCHQ (Tory headquarters) for another ‘snap’ General Election, with May preparing to risk everything on a ‘back me or sack me’ gamble.

Word also comes from different Tory quarters that knives are being sharpened for a ‘civil war’ between ‘Centre One-Nation True Blue’ Tories and ‘bonkers right-wingers’.

With Labour riding high in the latest polls and the Tories at their lowest for years, the first option might seem wildly improbable – but the inevitability of the second may make it a more viable possibility.

May’s desperation to achieve some progress – any progress – in the Brexit negotiations led her into a cul-de-sac of her own incompetence’s making.

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/12/05/may-preparing-for-second-snap-ge-and-civil-war/

There was a similar rumour going round the EU Facebook groups about a month ago but I'm not convinced about the reliability of Skwawkbox. Probably like the Canary in that there is truth in there but also misleading stories too.

We can but hope that sanity will return before it's too late!

Makes no sense at all, they’d need a new leader before an election and that takes time even for back-stabbing Tories. If May ran again she’ll just get crucified. An election now could only be seen as the party cutting and running, i.e. they know they have screwed the country up and want someone else to clean up their mess. If they go to the country now I’m voting Tory! (not that my vote matters here).

PS I don’t think the new boundaries are even in place yet, let alone predictions as to the extent of gerrymandering etc.

Here's your guide to "alt-Left" websites:

The Canary - clickbaity rubbish mostly

Skwawkbox - hit and miss but can be good

Another Angry Voice - very good; a bit shouty but the articles are usually quite detailed and the author always provides links to his sources

They'd never let her near another General Election.

This is much more likely:

Theresa May could face 'leadership change before Christmas' warns Tory as backlash mounts over collapsed Brexit deal http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-could-face-leadership-change-11640838
"Speaking to the Times, one senior Tory claimed the crisis could cost Mrs May her job within weeks.
The unidentified politician said: "If, to save their blushes, the Irish agree to a meaningless and frankly unenforceable set of words then great.
"If they don’t, or Theresa May goes too far, then we and the DUP will withdraw support and there could be a leadership change this side of Christmas.”

Foster has her fist right up the Tory Party sock puppet acting as Prime Minister, presiding over a zombie Government. I'm really enjoying this- I want the Tory party to rip itself to pieces before the Christmas holiday. What better present could you ask for?

What’s needed now is that May says she’ll deliver a Norway, Labour help vote the deal through. The Conservatives will probably split over this.

Stephen

MPs and peers criticise tight security around Brexit impact reports

MPs and peers have attacked tight restrictions on access to Brexit analysis papers, claiming their content is little more than what has already been released into the public domain.

The Brexit secretary, David Davis, is due on Wednesday to appear before the exiting the EU select committee, to which he has handed over 850 pages of analysis after being forced to do so by a parliamentary vote.

Parliamentarians are now allowed to view the papers in a restricted-access reading room organised by Davis’s Department for Exiting the EU (DexEU), which one called “ridiculous amounts of security just to ensure that as few people see this stuff as possible”.

Another described the collection of documents as “two lever-arch files for 80% of the economy”

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are forgetting the EK/Eire Common Travel Area, which predates the ECSC/EEC/EC/EU. Ireland is also, like the UK, outside Schengen, so as regards immigration the EU - UK/Eire borders are already effectively at the UK and Irish ports/airports.

So what? Irish immigration checks passport of Lithuanian tourist who wants to visit Dublin. No problem, welcome to Ireland and enjoy your visit, Sir.

Bet there’s a rubber chicken in there and nothing else.

PS Johnson will have the government clown horn.

To be frank.. whilst I can try to comfort myself with the obvious ludicrous humour in the whole situation, I'm besically appalled that we have come to this 'perfect storm' of a clusterf**k. ( Please note my self filtering.. ;) )

A minority Govt, kept in power by another minority, pushing through what is increasingly obviously a minority objective .. A massive failure of the democratic process on so many levels.

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/938207178451714051

Peter Jukes with the clearest simplest guide to what has happened. Oh and Squawkbox" and"The Canary" have a lot more respect from other professional journos than many so called established journos. Nick Robinson has made a total ass of himself twice this past couple of days and Labour MPs particular are now turning on the BBC full on not just making snarky asides. Robinson was making sarcy remarks about "Labour not wanting to talk about brexit and not being available" to be roundly told he was lying through his teeth by Labour MPs who made it clear that, the BBC hadn't even contacted the Labour party for their opinions. This has been confirmed by the Labour Press Office who have made it plain, Robinson and BBC never contacted them and offered them air time.

One clue that almost everybody has overlooked was left by Obama before he left office. The make someone a PNG, person non grata in the USA, takes some doing. It;s not something you just decide on a whim. Because those people to be made PNGs are almost always diplomats the weight of evidence has to be pretty nailed on, that Obama did it to 35 Russians tells you much and tells you some of the extent of Russian meddling in both UK and USA internal affairs.

One interesting fact I noticed this last week. Over the last 50 years 92 members of the Whitehouse Staff have faced serious investigations and or criminal charges, of that 92, 91 were Republicans. People tend to forget because it was Nixon and all the focus was on him, 55 people were charged with criminal offences over his tenure in office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back