advertisement

New car choice again.

It has been that long since I drove a rear wheel drive car I probably wouldn't appreciate it.

Nice looking car is that Mazda, being petrol too you wouldn't suffer the pain associated with the DPF issues I read of

The front of the new Mondeo reminds me of an Aston Martin.

2015_ford_mondeo_6_1920x1080.jpg

On planning new car purchases, I tend to go through a rather protracted analysis quite a few years out before I actually commit the choice. I'd take into consideration brand reliability, innovation, model lifecycles and of course my personal circumstances.

I still get it wrong.

My current car, a BMW F31, was supposed to replace a Subaru Legacy wagon, which was a great workhorse and carted all sorts of stuff. But in the four years of ownership, I think I folded the rear seats down once to haul some fencing material. The rear seats were used by people maybe two dozen times. I still have the Legacy. I should have bought a two-door coupe instead.

So that'll be my next car - due after 2020; the next model 2-series or something equally compact and fun. What's the bet that that will be wrong as well?

Mondeo is a very good car. Looks even better with the body kit. Generally very reliable.

Quite a big thing though - have you looked at the Focus estate? Bigger inside than you think. Friend of mine has the hatchback with the 1.0L ecoboost 3 cylinfer engine. You would not know. Amazing piece of tech - these Ecoboost engines are the size of a A4 piece of paper and some versions are tuned to quite high power!.

The front of the new Mondeo reminds me of an Aston Martin.

2015_ford_mondeo_6_1920x1080.jpg

Head of design for Aston Martin and designer of the DB7 and DB9 (and later head of design for jaguar) - Ian Callum. (He also designed the Ford RS200 and the Puma).

VP of design for Ford - Moray Callum

They are brothers.

It has been that long since I drove a rear wheel drive car I probably wouldn't appreciate it.
I think FWD have come a long way, particularly with torque vectoring and electronic intervention. Under normal driving circumstances, most people won't be able to tell the difference. I just like the idea of separating steering and driving duties, and the neutrality of 50/50 weight distribution that configuration can bring.

Nice looking car is that Mazda, being petrol too you wouldn't suffer the pain associated with the DPF issues I read of

Most people who bought a diesel for the right reasons and drive them as they should be don't suffer DPF problems.

A DPF is cheaper than the OP's solution as suggested by VW. Yes, they were scary expensive at first, but just like catalytic converters were very expensive back in the mid-90s, those days have passed.

This is one risk when buying secondhand diesels. How was it driven? Lots of five mile journeys? Ten thirty mile commutes per week? Did it ever get properly warmed up?

I've plenty of friends who have DPF equipped diesels with over 250k miles on them, no DPF replacements.

Was tempted by the new Skoda Superb but that is VW Group so was binned today no matter how well thought of they are.

The new Skoda Superb has had very good reviews incl one where it came on top as the best second hand executive car.

Mazda 6 and the Mondeo share many parts like engine and gearbox. What I am not sure about are the Ford weaknesses -the power steering, trailing arm bushes and brake discs. The Mazda does take tropical temperatures better than Ford

A close friend occasionally drives his dad's newish Mondeo. He describes it as like driving a Transit.

Are Transits great to drive? ;)

My Mondeo was superb to drive until those arm bushes went. I got rid of it because it spent to much time waiting for parts - the plastic pipes couldn't take Malaysian temperatures and using a single 14" fan compared with the 626 twin 12"

A close friend occasionally drives his dad's newish Mondeo. He describes it as like driving a Transit.

Are Transits great to drive? ;)

Yes, I have owned two, a Mk 1 1600 V4 (a bit underpowered but it got us to India and back) and a Mk2 which had been up-engined to 2 litres and went like sh*t off a shovel (didn`t really work in the desert though so we never made Timbuktu).

Excellent fun.

I think FWD have come a long way, particularly with torque vectoring and electronic intervention. Under normal driving circumstances, most people won't be able to tell the difference. I just like the idea of separating steering and driving duties, and the neutrality of 50/50 weight distribution that configuration can bring.

The thing is though, the 50/50 distribution is nonsense once you think about accelerating or breaking - the behaviour of the car when it's going in a straight line at a constant speed is pretty irrelevant. However, all theoretical for me, as I just driving boring simple cheap cars.

50/50 isn't nonsense. I don't think it matters too much whether it's 48/52 or whatever, but 60/40 on a spirited drive will be nasty. Anyway, like people say, most of the time you can't tell.

Nobody has mentioned the Skodas yet, the latest bigger model is very well equipped.

I am a badge snob myself and would never touch one.

I am changing in November and it will be a new Passat Estate, not quite as powerful as my trusty Volvo V70

advertisement

Back