advertisement

New car choice again.

Problem is that Ford look like they've been built to a specific price point, and deteriorate/behave accordingly.

Same with most modern cars though, isn't it? The industry is so competitive that there's little room for over-engineering nowadays.

Maybe the odd exception still in some categories. I believe they say in Oz: "If you want to go into the outback, take a Land Rover. If you want to come back, take a Land Cruiser."

You'd think that something like a Porsche or a Ferrari would be more reliable than say a Ford or VW, as you are paying a premium, but the reverse is true, possibly as performance cars tend to be regularly given a damn good thrashing.

I had a VW Golf Mark III 1.9 TDI, which was still incredibly reliable when I sold it last year, 17 years and 150k miles after it was built. I believe it could well last for another 17 years/150k if someone keeps the rust at bay, and it isn't condemned as a socially unacceptable pollution hazard in the meantime. They don't build 'em like that anymore. Which is both good and bad.

shame to bin passats , my brother has a lovely estate and its been wonderful .

I was in several ford taxi`s this week and most impressed with fit and comfort so might well be an option

shame to bin passats , my brother has a lovely estate and its been wonderful .

Of what vintage?

My impression is that VW aren't what they used to be, and the Dieselgate scandal is just the most obvious manifestation of this. Though still, they're not as bad/dead as some people make out either - if they've finally fixed all the issues with it now, their 1.4 TSI petrol engine offers one of the best blends of performance and economy ever (for a non-hybrid petrol, anyway).

I was in several ford taxi`s this week and most impressed with fit and comfort so might well be an option

Mondeo, presumably? People see the Focuses, Fiestas and others and they see OK, fun cars to drive, but a bit plasticky inside. I think perhaps the Mondeo is a step up in more than just size. (The S-Max is also better, and more 'car-like', than a 7 person people carrier has any right to be.)

Kind regards

- Garry

yes its a late model Passat , 15 or 16 plate I think . big , beautifully built and extremely good vfm

yes the taxi was focus estate and s max . this latter chap did hundreds of miles daily going from dorset to London sometimes twice daily to airports

I was about to say the same, the X type and Modeo ahred the same chassis too I think?

The breaks [sic] seemed to be not very progressive just on or off.
I'm sure changing the pads to a different compound would have solved the problem. That's a far better problem to have than no brakes, like I once did when the pads of an old Holden were replaced.

My current car has fantastic Brembo brakes. My only worry is that the guy behind can't stop as quickly as I can.

Jaguar have the heated front windscreens.

Even an X-Type.

The X-type shared a chassis some components with the Mondeo. Ford licensed the tech to other brands. I thought that the patent had run its course but I'm not sure about that...

I thought the X-Type and Mondeo shared most parts including engines, suspension etc, not just the chassis, but differed on body panels and interior.

Not just the X-type, the S-type did too, not to mention various Volvo models.

I'm sure changing the pads to a different compound would have solved the problem. That's a far better problem to have than no brakes, like I once did when the pads of an old Holden were replaced.

My current car has fantastic Brembo brakes. My only worry is that the guy behind can't stop as quickly as I can.

Mine too

6th June by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

Pete

So? They were then.

I asked the question because if Jaguar are not part of Ford now, they still continue to licence the heated front windscreen; you don't have to buy a Ford to have the convenience.

No need to spit your dummy out.

shame to bin passats , my brother has a lovely estate and its been wonderful...
I got so close to buying a 4-Motion V6 Passat CC around 2010. It was easily one of the nicest looking sedans around at the time. Regrettably, it just wasn't the right time for me. By the time I was ready in 2013, the curvaceous CC had become more rectilinear, which is less pleasing to my eye.

By the time I was ready in 2013, the curvaceous CC had become more rectilinear, which is less pleasing to my eye.

Agreed, they ruined the look of the 1st generation CC by grafting on the new look wide stance corporate nose, it just became a bloated boring Passat lookalike instead.

Took a look at the Mazda 6 today, have to arrange a test drive, lovely looking car in the flesh but very dependant on colour.

I like this colour.

01.jpg

The Mazda 6 is a lovely looking car, and arguably the best looking Japanese mid-size sedan. They look particularly good in Soul Red Mica as pictured above. If I wasn't allergic to FWD, I'd have one.

advertisement

Back