advertisement

New car choice again.

Sorry, I edited the Lexus comments out as they have 2 cars in manual & petrol on the website, no longer a choice for me.

I think that maybe a Jaguar is beyond what I am after, a sensible easy maintained & reliable car.

I think that maybe a Jaguar is beyond what I am after, a sensible easy maintained & reliable car.
Fair enough. I've always tried to stretch my budgets to get more horsepower and more prestige, and have sometimes regretted doing so.

I should stop pushing you in the same direction :)

Just looking online & I can get a 6 months old Mondeo 2.0 240 BHP Ecoboost Titanium with X-Pack, fully loaded for £15,000 & 2.5 yrs Ford warranty.

Also available are brand new Mazda 6 2.0 SatNav-L for £16,000 with 3 years manufacturers warranty.

Interestingly both vehicles are available on PCP deals & the residual value is set at £8300 for the Ford & £7950 for the Mazda, a sizeable hit it seems if that is what they are worth in 3 years time if bought as advertised for outright purchase.

Fair enough. I've always tried to stretch my budgets to get more horsepower and more prestige, and have sometimes regretted doing so.

I should stop pushing you in the same direction :)

No problem, aspiration can be a good thing for anyone. I'm trying to be sensible in an overall approach, I've been burnt by VW so am now very wary.

I wouldn't get a secondhand car per se.

I'm not sure what the position is in the UK, but here the moment a car is registered by a dealer it effectively becomes secondhand, which means major discounts but they still have the full warranty. They'll also have tiny mileage unless they've been used as demo cars - Mine had 20km.

On Ford, I hired a B Max with around 100km on the clock for a few weeks last year. Initially impressive, until bits started falling off. Ford also offered the biggest discount when I was looking, which is a bit worrying. Really, if you want a good practical car, then look at Toyota.

Looking online their are some massive savings to be had just by going pre-reg.

2017 " 17 " plate, Mazda 6, 2.0 SE-L, choice of colours, 10 miles on the clock with full warranty : £15,995 ( main dealer )

The fully loaded Mondeo is extremely tempting I have to say, would have to test drive it first as I will with the Mazda soon.

3P's worth.
Most reliable cars are all Japanese., easily beating the germans.
Oddly new Peugots are also very close to the top of the list.
Toyota are amazingly relaible, quiet and comfy. The Avensis might be on your list unless you are a sporty driver, in which case, not.
Mazda are great, but no longer have their rock solid reputation, tho the 6 is a fine car, if slightly firmer riding tha most.

The Koreans do decent cars now. Check out Kia Optima with 7 yr warranty??.

Peugot 308 or the new 3008 are fine cars...lovely inside. A mate has one and loves it. Comfy and new HQ interior is an eye opener in the 3008.

Mondeo must be on the list too.

If you want good dealer service then get a Lexus.

Not sure why you discount Mercedes? BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Lexus/Jaguar are fighting hard against each other for market share. There are lots of Mercedes Taxis out there for a reason.

I have just spent a month with a company car hired Renault Kadjar - it's the Renault version of the Nissan Qashqai (Nissan and Renault are in alliance). I thought I was going to hate it, but it grew on me. I particularly liked the higher driving position. Okay, the Renault engineers have screwed up what was a good design in the Qashqai by messing with the multimedia system, cup holders etc. I was going to order a new Insignia, but it just so happens a year-old Qashqai become available. I've only had it a few days but so far it's better than the Kadjar. The 1.5 dci is no racing car, but it is ample for Town driving and okay when you get up to speed on motorways. Best fact for me is it's 99 g/km for co2 emissions which helps keep the tax bill down. Unfortunately, the previous owner was a smoker, so I am going to have to valet the hell out of it to get rid of the smell and it was valeted fully before I got it.

I don't like the wires in the windscreen or the grabby breaks on the Mondeo I was glad to return it and get back into my Alfa 159.

Pete

If you want good dealer service then get a Lexus.

Not sure why you discount Mercedes? BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Lexus/Jaguar are fighting hard against each other for market share. There are lots of Mercedes Taxis out there for a reason.

I have just spent a month with a company car hired Renault Kadjar - it's the Renault version of the Nissan Qashqai (Nissan and Renault are in alliance). I thought I was going to hate it, but it grew on me. I particularly liked the higher driving position. Okay, the Renault engineers have screwed up what was a good design in the Qashqai by messing with the multimedia system, cup holders etc. I was going to order a new Insignia, but it just so happens a year-old Qashqai become available. I've only had it a few days but so far it's better than the Kadjar. The 1.5 dci is no racing car, but it is ample for Town driving and okay when you get up to speed on motorways. Best fact for me is it's 99 g/km for co2 emissions which helps keep the tax bill down. Unfortunately, the previous owner was a smoker, so I am going to have to valet the hell out of it to get rid of the smell and it was valeted fully before I got it.
Bet you can fit a big telly in one Stuart! :D

The VW dealer where I bought my ex demo golf gtd which was 3 yrs old in march promises to call me back when I report I can't get the fuel flap open, I gave up waiting so got in there myself and had to disconnect the lock actuator so the flap is permanently unlocked. I'm so busy at the moment I haven't had time to go in there and see the bosses but I'll be expecting repeated phone calls soon to book a service so I'll let rip then.

Anyway I think I'll be going back to Honda when this Golf goes in a year's time. I've had two Hondas (a Civic type R and an Accord Type R) and both were no trouble whatsoever.

I don't like the wires in the windscreen or the grabby breaks on the Mondeo I was glad to return it and get back into my Alfa 159.

Pete

I've lived with the heated windscreen for 14 years in my old Mondeo, one of the best car innovations ever & I'm surprised other manufacturers do not fit them. Can't say I ever see the wires, they just disappear from view they are that fine.

I've lived with the heated windscreen for 14 years in my old Mondeo, one of the best car innovations ever & I'm surprised other manufacturers do not fit them. Can't say I ever see the wires, they just disappear from view they are that fine.

Agreed, we had a Mondeo with the same. I understand that Ford had the patent and didn't wish to share without £££.

Problem is that Ford look like they've been built to a specific price point, and deteriorate/behave accordingly.

advertisement

Back