1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

NAIM Shoebox case from AudioFlat

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by flatpopely, Oct 3, 2009.

1. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Excellent news Andrew, that's a lotta ally...

2. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Thanks Si.

Yes it is!

3. pure sound

pure sound Trade: manufacturer/distributor

Maybe Naim will buy some off you? ;)

4. flatpopely

Its been a long wait but I finally have three 100% samples of the NAIM shoebox case sleeve. We have hit the go button and ordered a 1000. Expect to see them on eBay in a month or less!

Working out the pricing tomorrow.

The inner tray is next..................hopefully that will be easy. Its our intention to offer the case with or without inner tray as some people will want just the sleeve to replace a damaged one.

Andrew.

P.S I'll post some pics tomorrow.

5. ChristianThomas

ChristianThomas Registered User

Andrew,

1000, are you mad?

C

6. flatpopely

Only time will tell!

7. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

That's the only problem with custom extrusions - the minimum order quanity is BIG.

8. hamish_gill

hamish_gill pfm Member

best of luck with this, i think you are brave, but i think you will do fine as long as the price isnt too much

9. flatpopely

Funnily enough, a 1000!

10. flatpopely

What price to make your shoebox amp look like new? £100, £200....they really are spot on. Same OEM manufacturer as NAIM used (they remember JV)and the same paint and paint processes, as confirmed by NAIM!

These will be on eBay so we will have international exposure.

It's a gamble for sure but you have to speculate to accumulate.

Tool was £5k before any material costs!!!

11. pure sound

pure sound Trade: manufacturer/distributor

It seems alot. Wouldn't they just do a metric ton of Aluminium for you?

12. flatpopely

Nope! Its the tooling up and the manufacture that dictates the minumum qty for this item. Remember its bespoke.

13. hamish_gill

hamish_gill pfm Member

So is that what they will cost? Somewhere between £100 & £200?
    Sorry if I have missed an official price mentioned

14. flatpopely

Price announced soon, hopefully tomorrow. But yes it will be between £100-£200, very much more towards the £100

15. hamish_gill

hamish_gill pfm Member

That doesn't seem to expensive considering the intended punter and naime people... What about with the slot in bit?

16. flatpopely

Thanks.

The 'sled' is coming soon.

17. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

1,000 @ £100 ... since no one is allowed to make any profit on hi-fi these days (well, maybe 10%), that's a f**k of a lot of cash you're investing!

18. flatpopely

Indeed it is but you can make more than 10% you know!

19. ChristianThomas

ChristianThomas Registered User

Andrew, I have to say that 5k is an awful lot for a simple tool. I have never been quoted anything above £1500 and sometimes as little as 400 or 500. I wish I had known you were still doing this.

At the same time I should say, that I know exactly what Naim pay for their extrusions, and I think that's outrageous too, One of these days I'll pursuade Paul to come to me for advice on finding cheaper suppliers. I could easily save him enough to buy another AMG Merc.

20. flatpopely

All I will say is that it was designed for us and the results are superb. The price also included 30 samples.

Perhaps I will talk before (if) we do the full width case. The tool for that will be about £15k from the current supplier.

TBH the supplier we use is the only one I felt confident with and when I found out they used to do NAIM cases in the JV days, well it was a no brainer. Cheaper is not always better! The lack of any concavity in the extrusions is really superb and proof of their skill.