advertisement

NAIM Shoebox case from AudioFlat

Indeed, it's not so easy to sort out templates for all the options. I can draw them easily enough (though time is money as they say) - but the only half width components I have easy access to are a 72 and a Hi-Cap - hardly a definitive list of everything built into a half width case (I'm not at all keen on dismantling them either just so I can measure hole positions and diameters).

Yes. Far easier to design things from scratch than to measure up other people's work.

I was lucky with the top plate and so on. I first measured it up in mm, then realised that everything would have been Imperial and so got absolute accuracy. Even so, there are various places on the LP12 which are in 32nds of an inch (space around the armboard, IIRC).

I

Did anyone ever like the olive fascias?

Well I do for one, I feel the olive series are quintesential Naim. Though I do feel a bit of a traitor too, all mine now sporting Avondale guts with the exception of the Armageddon !

Perhaps a steel blue version front with the words "Avondale Audio" would be far more fitting ? :cool:

John R.

Well I do for one, I feel the olive series are quintesential Naim. Though I do feel a bit of a traitor too, all mine now sporting Avondale guts with the exception of the Armageddon !

Perhaps a steel blue version front with the words "Avondale Audio" would be far more fitting ? :cool:

John R.

Les has my contact detials.

So, what's the current status on these? I'd be interested in a chrome bumper style sleeve and facia (not fussed about the tray).

Cheers!

Chris

So, what's the current status on these? I'd be interested in a chrome bumper style sleeve and facia (not fussed about the tray).

Cheers!

Chris

Chris.

No CB ones I'm afraid but you could take them to a paint finisher who could sand off the paint (linishing) thats exactly what NAIM did.

On eBay in about a month.

Andrew

I could use a new facia for my CB Hicap, please keep one aside Andrew.

I assume it will be plain with no logo.

The finish on the boxes looks very nice indeed, good luck with the venture.

:)

Chris.

No CB ones I'm afraid but you could take them to a paint finisher who could sand off the paint (linishing) thats exactly what NAIM did.

On eBay in about a month.

Andrew

Ah, I thought you were planning to make them "ended" CB one end, and "Olive" the other. I suspect careful use of wet'n'dry would get it done?

I'll keep an eye on e-bay, then.

Thanks,

Chris

Ah, I thought you were planning to make them "ended" CB one end, and "Olive" the other. I suspect careful use of wet'n'dry would get it done?

Well, an "ended" case would just be the same as a CB case, since the backside of a CB is all black.

Hello All.

Ebay add out next week, I will provide an announcement and link when its online.

£125 + postage each, inc custom made box like the NAIM one.

£75 + Postage to those who registered intent before I went all trade on pfm!!!!

These are who I have in the list:-

uzinusa
neiljadman
mudlark
eddie_pugh
binnie
YNWOAN
John R
laverda
Briatic
coredump
chilly
trancera
RichardH
iamjohnwayne
sq225917
Pete MB&D
JD12
BobMaximus
markfin
shambala
nickcase
megalord
synapse
imgrant
misterc6
Agent_Cooper79
JamesN
Sham
Nic Robinson

Hi Andrew, have you thought about how you're going to advertise them yet? I got an auction pulled the other day for having '***' in the title when it wasn't strictly speaking a '***', and i'm not sure if fleabay will let you away with it. There seems to be nazi ebay moles all over the site nowadays.

I don't think your enclosures would be counted as 'counterfeit', particularly as naim seem to have been great about them. Maybe ebay will have other ideas though?

p.s. they look brilliant!

I could use a new facia for my CB Hicap, please keep one aside Andrew.

I assume it will be plain with no logo.

The finish on the boxes looks very nice indeed, good luck with the venture.

:)

We are not intending to do CB facias as such - we are looking into doing Olive style fascias however (they will be plain with no logo, holes etc.)

Les W has a black sheet material that is very close to the CB fascia; or you can buy black polypropylene sheet (which is what it is) from hobby suppliers (it can be cut with a sharp knife and stuck on with either contact adhesive or double sided tape).

Hi Andrew, have you thought about how you're going to advertise them yet? I got an auction pulled the other day for having '***' in the title when it wasn't strictly speaking a '***', and i'm not sure if fleabay will let you away with it. There seems to be nazi ebay moles all over the site nowadays.

I don't think your enclosures would be counted as 'counterfeit', particularly as naim seem to have been great about them. Maybe ebay will have other ideas though?

p.s. they look brilliant!

Hi Fraser. Hopefully it will be fine as we have listed (will list) them in the accessoroes section and we do not make a claim to be NAIM. if there is an issue then we will have to redo the ad.

FWIW Teddy seems to have no problems with ebay listings.

Thanks for your kind comment, they are rather spendid!

Andrew.

P.S. now you are back I will send the box up to you!!!

We are not intending to do CB facias as such - we are looking into doing Olive style fascias however (they will be plain with no logo, holes etc.)

Les W has a black sheet material that is very close to the CB fascia; or you can buy black polypropylene sheet (which is what it is) from hobby suppliers (it can be cut with a sharp knife and stuck on with either contact adhesive or double sided tape).

Thanks for that YN.

I have made a front plate for an old bolt together Naim box and I did this with thin aluminium sprayed matt black. I think it works a treat. I stuck it to the front of the original sledge with contact adhesive. My front plate has no switches, just an led hole. The original facias were ally....

The plastic fronts can be made cheaply, but can be fragile.....wasting all your hard work.

The depressing thing is I could do with about 7 boxes. Squeezbox extra, active thingy, NJ preamp, B4 preamp, super power supply, two 140 style amps.

I have made a front plate for an old bolt together Naim box and I did this with thin aluminium sprayed matt black. I think it works a treat. I stuck it to the front of the original sledge with contact adhesive. My front plate has no switches, just an led hole. The original facias were ally....

The plastic fronts can be made cheaply, but can be fragile.....wasting all your hard work.

The depressing thing is I could do with about 7 boxes. Squeezbox extra, active thingy, NJ preamp, B4 preamp, super power supply, two 140 style amps.

We will have to limit them to 1 box per pfm member. As it is that's 20odd x £50 we are giving away as goodwill.

I hope you all understand, it's not just my money involved here.

Andrew.

I so want to put an mini itx computer in one of these....

You swine!!

I'd never even thought of that, and now you go and give me foul ideas.

I've enough so called "friends" spending my money as it is, thank you very much.

Now, wheres my tape measure.....

John

advertisement

Back