advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats a BDAC?

A BDAC is a half price MDAC which might actually have a better SQ than the MDAC but we wont know until it is actually built. :eek:

It will not be an Audiolab product , John Westlake's latest development
(and Dom of course) .

It's a new design by JW and Dominic for a british manufacturer. About £300 if I remember and, according to John, an 'interesting' design indeed.

Balanced output and remote too.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember John saying it was £200, not £300.

At £200, worth considering buying as a spare but not sure about £300.

Whats a BDAC?

:) Hi Spacey,

The BDAC a play on words - could be "Budget" DAC or "B-Grade" ;) :p

I have a friend who recently proclaimed - "I need to buy my Mother a car - shes wants a Mercedes B Class, no way am I buying anything B Class..."

I'm still designing the unit so we have still not had a listened to it. There's a good chance - a very good chance that it might sound better then the MDAC...

I'm not happy that SQ sold his MDAC for a Weiss - so this is my revenge :) Not only is the intention to beat the Weiss but to do it for "around" £300 :)

Tall order maybe - but I'm hopeful.

The BDAC will sound "Different" to the MDAC - maybe not to my taste - but lets hear...

John

Will the BDAC have a headphone amp? If so will it be of similar quality as the one in the MDAC?

The BDAC's output CROSSII output stage is improved over MDAC's earlier generation CROSS design - and should be even better at driving headphones.

CROSS II is a MOSFET based output stage design which I prefer, however it uses transistors in place of JFET's in the input stage due to costs. I have however redesigned the BDAC's input stage topology to be better suited to the "limitations" of Bipolar transistors - so I'm looking forward to listening to the new design.

The BDAC uses much cheaper DAC's (Dual Mono) then the MDAC - so I have to really pullout all the stops if the BDAC is to have any chance of sounding better then the MDAC...

Now, back to designing,

John

I have a friend who recently proclaimed - "I need to buy my Mother a car - shes wants a Mercedes B Class, no way am I buying anything B Class..."

I'm still designing the unit so we have still not had a listened to it. There's a good chance - a very good chance that it might sound better then the MDAC...

I'm not happy that SQ sold his MDAC for a Weiss - so this is my revenge :) Not only is the intention to beat the Weiss but to do it for "around" £300 :)

The BDAC will sound "Different" to the MDAC - maybe not to my taste - but lets hear...

John

oh dear, does anyone want to buy my MDAC then?

I think the MDAC has been the best selling DAC in history, if the BDAC is half the MDAC price, then the second hand market will be a wash with MDACs and they will be going for pennies.
Sounds like THE END TIMES to me

Hi John

I’ve been reading with interest about the software update for the M-DAC. I went into my local dealer on Friday and asked them about the software update, as I’ve ordered one through them. While the dealer didn’t know anything about the software issues he immediately rang his contact at Audiolab who acknowledged that there had been a problem but told him that all future batches would have the updated software. While I don’t doubt the dealer, what software version is the update.? I should get my order in the next couple of weeks and I’d like to check at the dealer before taking it home.

Regards Bernard

I think the MDAC has been the best selling DAC in history, if the MDAC is half the price then the second hand market will be a wash with MDACs and they will be going for pennies.
Sounds like THE END TIMES to me

I think you mean 'if the BDAC is half the price......'.

JohnW said a few posts ago that 'The BDAC will sound "Different" to the MDAC - maybe not to my taste - but lets hear...' so may not be to everyone's taste.

If the BDAC dose turn out to be a 'killer DAC' it will not only affect the second hand/new price of the MDAC, but potentially all DACs.

Time will tell.

John
Not just different to the MDAC but the ambition is to beat the Weiss for £300
That will pull the bottom out of the MDAC market

John, you are welcome to borrow the Weiss for a few weeks if it will aide you in reaching you quality target. I'm off on the road for 3 weeks from the start of May.

Simon

Upon further listening and checking all connection between MDAC and other components I cannot hear distorted sound as I mentioned this morning... good news.
I guess now I can start burning in my MDAC and wait for the official release of the software.
Thumbs up for both JohnW and Dominik!:)

JohnW

I have listened to my new MDAC over the weekend and also I have tried different streaming scenarios between my Oppo and MDAC. When I use Oppo to play high-res materials (24bit/192kHz) from esata drive directly connected to the Oppo, the files were played with no issues and sounded really great.
However when I stream the same high-res materials from my Synology NAS (DS212 with DSM4.0) to Oppo, the first 0.5-1 sec were played with distortions. So, the first observation that I thought was not valid, is in fact happening.
Is there anything you and Dominik could do about this? As always, your support is greatly appreciated!

JohnW

I have listened to my new MDAC over the weekend and also I have tried different streaming scenarios between my Oppo and MDAC. When I use Oppo to play high-res materials (24bit/192kHz) from esata drive directly connected to the Oppo, the files were played with no issues and sounded really great.
However when I stream the same high-res materials from my Synology NAS (DS212 with DSM4.0) to Oppo, the first 0.5-1 sec were played with distortions. So, the first observation that I thought was not valid, is in fact happening.
Is there anything you and Dominik could do about this? As always, your support is greatly appreciated!

Surely thats down to the network connection then as you said they play fine when connected directly to the Oppo ?

Hi John

I’ve been reading with interest about the software update for the M-DAC. I went into my local dealer on Friday and asked them about the software update, as I’ve ordered one through them. While the dealer didn’t know anything about the software issues he immediately rang his contact at Audiolab who acknowledged that there had been a problem but told him that all future batches would have the updated software. While I don’t doubt the dealer, what software version is the update.? I should get my order in the next couple of weeks and I’d like to check at the dealer before taking it home.

Regards Bernard

Hi Bernard,

The official update has yet to be released - although it should be ready tomorrow.

The MDAC can be updated by the owner with a PC via USB in about 5 minutes, The update process itself takes less then 30 seconds,

Your dealer will be able to update your software if your concerned.

John

John, you are welcome to borrow the Weiss for a few weeks if it will aide you in reaching you quality target. I'm off on the road for 3 weeks from the start of May.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the offer, but ATM my system sounding really poor - I'd find it hard evaluate the units.

I've bought a pair of Martin Logan CLS2z but I don't have decent amps to drive them yet - I have been waiting for the M-AMP, but I've been busy with BDAC.

I'd rather send you a BDAC once its ready - better for you to listen in your own environment etc...

Also, i'll still be designing the BDAC in May.. :( if I'm still sane....

Based upon your comments I know which direction to take the BDAC SQ....

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back