advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will it come in on price though?
When the MDAC was first being touted it was going to cost c£400.

Luckily I have a clearer margin structure with the current company we are designing the BDAC for...

If we go too far over budget then we can have 2 versions, the first with a reduced feature set (although retaining the SQ).

John

JohnW

I have listened to my new MDAC over the weekend and also I have tried different streaming scenarios between my Oppo and MDAC. When I use Oppo to play high-res materials (24bit/192kHz) from esata drive directly connected to the Oppo, the files were played with no issues and sounded really great.
However when I stream the same high-res materials from my Synology NAS (DS212 with DSM4.0) to Oppo, the first 0.5-1 sec were played with distortions. So, the first observation that I thought was not valid, is in fact happening.
Is there anything you and Dominik could do about this? As always, your support is greatly appreciated!

I'll talk with Dominik, not sure if we are going to be able to help - lets see.

I suspect it the MDAC establishing lock at the start of the track - although its very odd that its not an issue when using the Oppo / MDAC directly. Are you certain its not an network issue (bufferering issue)?

John

Hi Bernard,

The official update has yet to be released - although it should be ready tomorrow.

The MDAC can be updated by the owner with a PC via USB in about 5 minutes, The update process itself takes less then 30 seconds,

Your dealer will be able to update your software if your concerned.

John
John

Thanks for the Info, really appreciate responding quickly

Regards

Bernard

Hi John,

Apologies if this has been covered once and buried in one of the earlier threads. What is the output impedance of MDAC's Headphone Amp?

Thanks and Regards,
Sandeep.

Hi John,

I'm sure your head is buried in BDAC, sorry to be a pain... I'm well up for building a PSU for my MDAC though, could I trouble you to confirm the input rails needed for an MDAC with no internal mods?

thanks ./dom

I'll talk with Dominik, not sure if we are going to be able to help - lets see.

I suspect it the MDAC establishing lock at the start of the track - although its very odd that its not an issue when using the Oppo / MDAC directly. Are you certain its not an network issue (bufferering issue)?

John

JohnW

Here what I observed on MDAC display. When going to the next track, first, display would briefly show 192.001k before switching to 24bit/192.001k and locked the data stream. Then music play distorted for about 0.5 sec before it continued and distortion disappeared.

Any clue?

John,

I'm driving a power amp direct from the MDAC at the moment - is it safe to remove the 10uF input cap (DC blocker) ?

Which amplifier is it?

Answer depends if the "Amp Side" of the cap is biased to Ground (most amplifiers are) - then I would (that's because I take risks for best SQ)... and I'll bet you it will make a significant difference...

John
Can I ask you the same question (is it safe to remove the 10uF input cap (DC blocker) if I am using NVA A80 amps?
Thanks
James

Which amplifier is it?

Answer depends if the "Amp Side" of the cap is biased to Ground (most amplifiers are) - then I would (that's because I take risks for best SQ)... and I'll bet you it will make a significant difference...

It is an Avondale NCC200.....and I am sure that removing the input cap will make a difference, but don't want to risk my speakers!!

It is an Avondale NCC200.....and I am sure that removing the input cap will make a difference, but don't want to risk my speakers!!

http://www.areyoulocal.com/PhotoLarge.asp?Loc=photos/Large/avondale_ncc200_circuit_diag.gif

In the Avondale circuit I've linked above, C6 - the capacitor in the feedback path reduces the amplifier gain to unity at DC, thus the MDAC's mV levels of DC offset should not effect things too badly...

You can always measure the DC level with and without the Capacitor fitted - looking at the circuit, I'd guess the Amplifiers own DC level will drift about (harmlessly) more then any effects of removing the input cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back