1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC first listen (part V)

Discussion in 'audio' started by Oktane, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

I was looking at one of the 20W processors....

John

2. JohnW

Random miss lock - Due to a design bug in the ESS DAC IC, once in a blue moon its prone to miss lock...

I've personally not experienced it for a while...

Are you still on the original software - or one of our Pre-release Beta's?

3. noricom

noricom New Member

Thanks, you got post :cool:

4. ddenyer

ddenyer pfm Member

Hi John, I'm on the original software.

Derek

5. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Mines crackled 3 times this evening now - all using USB. Any filter setting. 16-bit material. Left channel only. Cycling inputs 'cures' it for a random period of time...

Hopefully this can be solved with another firmware release?

- John

6. JohnW

Hi John,

Its no the Buffer level is it? Enable the buffer display and just confirm that it remains around 50% during "crackling",

John

7. sam_cat

sam_cat ʇɐɔ_ɯɐs

Why not go for a fusion/higher spec atom? I use a fusion based pc for playing blu-rays, dvds, streaming films off my network (dvd images), playing music off spotify, Iplayer and locally hosted flacs.. Has no problems what so ever doing any and all of the above.. Have also used it for ripping dvds/cds and does that faster than my laptop..

And there are native distros compiled for OpenELEC, the open source XBMC operating system.. Very very slick to use!

Just my rambing thoughts on this as I have been on this very same journey recently.

Sam

8. gh0st

gh0st pfm Member

+1 for OpenELEC, I have it running on an old (by pc standards) acer revo nettop with an atom 330 and it pulls like a train, hdtv no problem...

9. sam_cat

sam_cat ʇɐɔ_ɯɐs

The only test I havent done with openelec and my mdac is the bitperfect test.. Would be interesting to see if it passes.

10. fusion5

fusion5 on the dark side of hifi...

John, is there a reason for picking the H61 Chipset over H67 and Z68?

Since the release of the MITX is not imminent maybe you should consider using one of the upcoming 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs and a mainboard featuring a Series 7 Panther Point Chipset.

Nevertheless I like your choice to go with an Intel mainboard. Many of their mainboards have a internal CIR (Consumer Infrared Receiver) header. You could integrate an IR receiver into the MITX. Intel provides a Windows driver with the mainboards. If I remember correctly, this solution is fully MCE Remote compatible and can be used with a lot of universal remotes (like a Logitech Harmony).

There are fully assembled IR receiver kits like this:
    http://shop.inteset.com/Products/5-intel-cir-receiver.aspx

And I remember some guy on the AVS Forum describing how to build your own:

-> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-1050640-p-7.html

Besides the possibility of nearly invisible integration this solution has a big advantage over external usb ir receiver: It can power on your pc!

Don't know if this works with Linux :confused:

Michael

11. jagdesign

jagdesign pfm Member

Any news on the software?!?

12. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

Thanks for the reply. Just getting itchy feet on getting a quality hifi streaming device in place.

Living with laptop at the moment, but its a general use one and it has no place along side the rest of AV hifi. Unless I do late night listening I'm finding that I just grab the odd 1/2 hour here and there. So need to find simple switch on and play device which is high SQ.

Looks like we'll be lucky to see the MITX this year maybe ... ?

I've tried Sonos/SBT but not cutting it , for me.:confused:

Thinking about it, might get an IPAD to stream from in the iterim

Can't believe how good spotify sounds via MDAC btw ...thanks again for this amazing product. Currently listening to new spotify app callled digster. Kanye West playlist :D

13. gh0st

gh0st pfm Member

What's not to like about bitperfect output from an SBT? :confused:

14. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

I get occasional white noise type of effect through left channel. I power cycle the MDAC and it's ok again. On original software. Happy to try new update, in fact really looking forward to it, but, as this has happened maybe three times in six months, not sure I'd be adding much to the knowledge base!

15. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

bitperfect plus noise;)

To be fair never got round to trying USB mod. Wasn't avail when I sold.
    On its own no server the SBT was slow and failed regularly on hires.
    My nas is a basic WD affair , processor not upto job to run LMS.

Straight comparison on hires material betweem SBT and Laptop was close, but there was a difference in SQ and the laptop won (MDAC usb did the job). My thought was to invest money on dedicated server . Can't get my head around the need for SBT plus PC, when bespoke PC server will beat the SBT on sound quality..

16. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

17. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

With you on that..

But with the MITX build John will also include 192 to optical conversion from USB to connect to the MDAC. If I spend £400 - £500 on a build now it would probably be redundant when the MITX is released. So IPAD for now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.