1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Discussion in 'audio' started by ti33er, Sep 12, 2017.

1. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

Yep, the thermal ramp times are decent, we need to follow a certain profile for each type of solder paste / PCB.

One function of the hacked software upgrade is to run the cooling fans during the reflow process to help even out internal hotspots... running these fans effects the thermal ramp-up speed, we cannot have too much circulation / ventilation during the heating phase.... Mickey Mouse games...

The larger oven simply lacked the thermal and cooling power to follow the require curves!

The Pro reflow oven I plan to purchase once funds allow is controlled via a PC so yep, that display will not be missed :)

2. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

Dear All,

Can anybody guide me to a list of what is John offering? Apologies - I am finding it very difficult keeping up with this thread.

An updated list via dropbox perhaps?

TIA.

Pedro

3. timola

timola pfm Member

Have a look here: http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

4. hluga

hluga pfm Member

Hi johnw

If even car fails I think you experience the murphy law with that project !

Bests

5. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Have I got this right? The FDAC (mid range option) is likely to be around £3,000?

I hope it sees the light of day and I hope it's as brilliant as the 'investors' deserve but that is a lot of money and there is some serious competition out there for much less.

6. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

Last I checked, estimate was half that figure...?

7. JohnW

Yes, GBP1500 is closer to the target in basic build.

The highest performance MDAC2 variant (the first to be released) which will be around GBP1200 inclusive of development sponsorship - subject to final costings, the reasons for the cost will become apparent when the design is revealed.

8. BigDog

BigDog pfm Member

since I got in the queue for a DETOX! Have not waited that long for anything since the 5 years for my custom preamp but at least there it was a project for someone running a company full time and I was evaluator of the intermediate iterations.

In that time there has been a plethora of USB correction dongles released...2 generations of the REGEN, several by iFi, etc., but no DETOX! Hopefully, what the DETOX does is still SOTA given the advances being made generally with treating USB transmission for audio,.

I have been less vocal than some but now even I am getting frustrated.

9. JohnW

BigDog,

Detox will be run after the first 10 or so streamer / DevDAC boards - so within the next couple of months.

10. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Apologies. It was the x5 development cost that threw me. It's 5x£100 and not 5x£500 as I assumed?

11. JohnW

As I write this, the first test PCB is in the new mini reflow oven... in about 5 minutes I'll see how its reflowed the board - worst case would be a burnt board...

12. fusion5

fusion5 on the dark side of hifi...

How did the oven perform?

13. JohnW

Yes, very well - even on the standard unmodified reflow profile.

I re-flowed a test PCB where I placed the solder paste & components by hand, and all good.

A few solder bridges & a couple components needed touching up - but very happy!

Tomorrow I'll run some streamer type PCB's - with solder stencil and the components placed by the PnP machine.

14. hluga

hluga pfm Member

clap clap clap :D

15. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

Terrific John, nice to hear things are working out :)

16. BigDog

BigDog pfm Member

Hope the timing is realistic given your recent success with the new oven.

To my original inquiry tho' I do not have the creds to question your design, will the DETOX still be relevant given the flurry of new USB decrapifier designs?

Thanks.

17. jansen

jansen pfm Member

Can anyone remember what the latest specs and features of a full blown mdac2 are? I need a refresher...

18. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

19. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

AFIK, nothing comparable has (or is ever likely to have) as much internal shielding as the Detox, and once you have cracked 99% of the problem, any incremental improvement is going to be inaudible.

(And we wouldn't want John to start a re-design at this point, would we? :) )

20. JohnW

Jansen,

I'll try to find time to add the three variations of MDAC2 to the website.

The first version to be realised will be a VERY unique design - we are very excited about it, but will be ultimately limited by the sonic performance of the ESS DAC's - you will understand more once we publicly release information about it.

Sorry for being so cryptic, but sadly its become too hostile here to talk in much detail about what we are working on :(