advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming the ramp up and the very fast ramp down (1.5 minutes from 250 to 75) in temperature is good? BTW that display reminds me of something from the 80's, very large pixels...:eek:

Yep, the thermal ramp times are decent, we need to follow a certain profile for each type of solder paste / PCB.

One function of the hacked software upgrade is to run the cooling fans during the reflow process to help even out internal hotspots... running these fans effects the thermal ramp-up speed, we cannot have too much circulation / ventilation during the heating phase.... Mickey Mouse games...

The larger oven simply lacked the thermal and cooling power to follow the require curves!

The Pro reflow oven I plan to purchase once funds allow is controlled via a PC so yep, that display will not be missed :)

Dear All,

Can anybody guide me to a list of what is John offering? Apologies - I am finding it very difficult keeping up with this thread.

An updated list via dropbox perhaps?

TIA.

Pedro

Have I got this right? The FDAC (mid range option) is likely to be around £3,000?

I hope it sees the light of day and I hope it's as brilliant as the 'investors' deserve but that is a lot of money and there is some serious competition out there for much less.

Have I got this right? The FDAC (mid range option) is likely to be around £3,000?

I hope it sees the light of day and I hope it's as brilliant as the 'investors' deserve but that is a lot of money and there is some serious competition out there for much less.

Last I checked, estimate was half that figure...?

Last I checked, estimate was half that figure...?

Yes, GBP1500 is closer to the target in basic build.

The highest performance MDAC2 variant (the first to be released) which will be around GBP1200 inclusive of development sponsorship - subject to final costings, the reasons for the cost will become apparent when the design is revealed.

since I got in the queue for a DETOX! Have not waited that long for anything since the 5 years for my custom preamp but at least there it was a project for someone running a company full time and I was evaluator of the intermediate iterations.

In that time there has been a plethora of USB correction dongles released...2 generations of the REGEN, several by iFi, etc., but no DETOX! Hopefully, what the DETOX does is still SOTA given the advances being made generally with treating USB transmission for audio,.

I have been less vocal than some but now even I am getting frustrated.

BigDog,

Detox will be run after the first 10 or so streamer / DevDAC boards - so within the next couple of months.

As I write this, the first test PCB is in the new mini reflow oven... in about 5 minutes I'll see how its reflowed the board - worst case would be a burnt board...

Yes, very well - even on the standard unmodified reflow profile.

I re-flowed a test PCB where I placed the solder paste & components by hand, and all good.

A few solder bridges & a couple components needed touching up - but very happy!

Tomorrow I'll run some streamer type PCB's - with solder stencil and the components placed by the PnP machine.

I re-flowed a test PCB where I placed the solder paste & components by hand, and all good.

Tomorrow I'll run some streamer type PCB's - with solder stencil and the components placed by the PnP machine.

clap clap clap :D

Terrific John, nice to hear things are working out :)

BigDog,

Detox will be run after the first 10 or so streamer / DevDAC boards - so within the next couple of months.

Hope the timing is realistic given your recent success with the new oven.

To my original inquiry tho' I do not have the creds to question your design, will the DETOX still be relevant given the flurry of new USB decrapifier designs?

Thanks.

Can anyone remember what the latest specs and features of a full blown mdac2 are? I need a refresher...

will the DETOX still be relevant given the flurry of new USB decrapifier designs?

AFIK, nothing comparable has (or is ever likely to have) as much internal shielding as the Detox, and once you have cracked 99% of the problem, any incremental improvement is going to be inaudible.

(And we wouldn't want John to start a re-design at this point, would we? :) )

Can anyone remember what the latest specs and features of a full blown mdac2 are? I need a refresher...

Jansen,

I'll try to find time to add the three variations of MDAC2 to the website.

The first version to be realised will be a VERY unique design - we are very excited about it, but will be ultimately limited by the sonic performance of the ESS DAC's - you will understand more once we publicly release information about it.

Sorry for being so cryptic, but sadly its become too hostile here to talk in much detail about what we are working on :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back