advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFIK, nothing comparable has (or is ever likely to have) as much internal shielding as the Detox, and once you have cracked 99% of the problem, any incremental improvement is going to be inaudible.

(And we wouldn't want John to start a re-design at this point, would we? :) )

Thanks, davidjt

Hopefully I am not the one guilty of spreading toxin but did think the DETOX relevance question was a fair one given the time elapsed.

Not calling for a re-design by any stretch.

I won't post again until DETOX delivery.

We're all champing at the bit, and those (unlike me) who don't use USB input must have the patience of Job. I don't envy John juggling the PFM projects with the day job, not to mention demands for free support from Pro-ject customers.

But it looks as though we're over the hill, so roll on Christmas!

Sure, but they cover IP; after-sales support is a surely a separate (and onerous) commitment. It might be in John's long term interest but I doubt that's his motivation. In fact in some ways it's making a rod for his own back.

Support plays a big part in the buying process, we used tofigure epic support added 20% to perceived value.

...I believe John is decent enough to lend Support when needed ...look at all the annoying traditional MDAC queries that come straying through this thread that still get answered. No worries here

Looking forward to hearing about a working rats-nest of the first hardware being spun up at the moment and how it's sounding :)

Hi John,
I was just wondering when you are going to get confirmation that the streamer will be MQA certified? There’s still quite a bit of music being added to Tidal and I know that Universal will continue to add content to the library in the future.
Thanks.

Hi John,
I was just wondering when you are going to get confirmation that the streamer will be MQA certified? There’s still quite a bit of music being added to Tidal and I know that Universal will continue to add content to the library in the future.
Thanks.

We should be OK with the ESS variants of the MDAC2 as MQA have already created the MQA renders for these DAC IC's.

The discrete DAC being a custom design might be harder to certify as Qtys. would be too low to justify the NRE costs.

Hi John, I was wondering if it's worth adding this rendering to the Lakewest website....I think it's a really cool, unique look for the MDAC2?

MDAC2 https://www.flickr.com/photos/153016309@N02/, on Flickr

Well, we wanted to keep this "secrete" :) until we have the resources to pay for the NRE costs.

ATM, all funds are being pumped into pending production - leaving little funds spare for such large tooling costs (we would need to tool x2 sets of lightguides & the capacitive touch panel).

The streamer PCB's have been designed to support the panel - so its only a question of "when" we can offer the MDAC2 front panel update.

Question for any Linux Guru's (JiriJ) :)

How do you force an USB CDROM drive to x1 speed and do all CDROM / DVD drives support x1 (I was told that its part of the IDE Spec. or somesuch).

I'm pretty sure JiriJ posted such information awhile back but I cannot find it now..

Well, we wanted to keep this "secrete" :) until we have the resources to pay for the NRE costs.

Whoops!...sorry John, 'I really don't know whether I'm going or coming these days'. (I didn't really appreciate the truth of this little phrase until recently, its my age I'm 53 now)...:eek:

I could delete it from the thread if you prefer?

Question for any Linux Guru's (JiriJ) :)

How do you force an USB CDROM drive to x1 speed and do all CDROM / DVD drives support x1 (I was told that its part of the IDE Spec. or somesuch).

I'm pretty sure JiriJ posted such information awhile back but I cannot find it now..

Code:
eject -x 1 /dev/cdrom

... but you have to do that every time you insert a new media.

This thread on Ubuntu forums explains how to do that automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back