advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that'll make it nice and professional. I have an old can of Hammerite in the garage if that is any good.
Back in the day when it was usually worthwhile answering your landline we had a period of several weeks where we were getting nuisance calls from some ****er. I used to just rest the handset on its side and let him talk to himself.
I vividly remember thinking, what a rich and fulfilling life this total loser must have to get his kicks from making these calls. Sad really . . . .

Back in the day when it was usually worthwhile answering your landline we had a period of several weeks where we were getting nuisance calls from some ****er. I used to just rest the handset on its side and let him talk to himself.
I vividly remember thinking, what a rich and fulfilling life this total loser must have to get his kicks from making these calls. Sad really . . . .

To be fair, his posts might be provocative, but they're probably doing all those who are still waiting patiently for a return on their investment a favour by drawing attention to the Emperor's rather scanty attire...

It would be great if someone could help with out the chassis. I'm a little confused at exactly where it fits in with the Detox critical path and how complicated it needs to be. Does the detox need anything beyond usb in and out and power by way of inputs. Does it need LEDs and switches and things? Or do we just need a box in the way you do with a raspberry pi?
I suppose another way of asking this question is- if someone said "here's your box", would the only remaining step be to manufacture the board (with inputs)?

The reason I ask this is that if the chassis were the only obstacle to the immediate commencement of production of the Detox then I would be pretty tolerent of price and finish. If on the other hand, sorting it out would just move us on to the impossibility of obtaining the right shade of magenta for the power LED, then not so much. I guess this is why projects usually have project managers.

John has purposely designed the DETOX chassis to have isolation for the various parts of the circuitry as well as the control knob.
I would definitely would prefer that, even sans anodizing, to some kind of generic build-box.

John has purposely designed the DETOX chassis to have isolation for the various parts of the circuitry as well as the control knob.
I would definitely would prefer that, even sans anodizing, to some kind of generic build-box.
OK yes I agreed the internal rf shielding was par of the scheme (it's all so long ago, it's hard to remember); but it's still just a box with partitions isn't it? (audio-gd have made their dacs like that for ages IIRC).

-My point is: assuming you could have that box made, would we then have the detox, or would it just take us to the next stage of problem. If the former then I might not care so very much what it looks like or costs (within reason). But if the latter, then cost matters a lot more.

Hi John,
is it possible to install a "usb over ethernet" softwarte in the MiniStreamer?

Thanks.

If its available for the RPi then no problem to install on the Ministreamer. From a software perspective (apart from a different dt-blob config file and drivers for the WiFi / BT Module) RPI software should work on the MInistreamer.

A quick question regarding MDAC (while I wait for the MDAC2 or whatever it is now!!).

I have a QNAP Server (TVS473) which allows audio output to the USB port. I have connected this to my MDAC but all music has a background popping sound every few seconds. It's a bit like fluff on the stylus of a record. I have tried changing leads and have made loads of reboots. The only other thing I can think of is that the QNAP has only USB 3 ports whereas the MDAC has USB2. Could this be the problem? Any other ideas?

Thanks

A quick question regarding MDAC (while I wait for the MDAC2 or whatever it is now!!).

I have a QNAP Server (TVS473) which allows audio output to the USB port. I have connected this to my MDAC but all music has a background popping sound every few seconds. It's a bit like fluff on the stylus of a record. I have tried changing leads and have made loads of reboots. The only other thing I can think of is that the QNAP has only USB 3 ports whereas the MDAC has USB2. Could this be the problem? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Yes, the issue is with the USB3 ports. If you enable dispaly buffer level I suspect you will see the buffer drop to zero coinciding with the pops.

Kind of ironically, some USB 3 controllers cannot handle USB1.1 correctly.

Interestingly they only claim "backward compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices", they must be aware of the compatibly issues with USB1.1.

The Ministreamer would work here.....

No Detox will not help here, the USB3.0 controller in the QNAP Server is dropping USB1.1 frames, once the frames are dropped the USB input buffer in the MDAC needs to be flushed to resynchronize the frames.

I have difficulty in finding posts on FB: they appear to cluster in 'conversations'. Try searching comments on the post by Hossein Jadidi.

I guess the difference between a small minority and an elite depends (rather like my '57s ;)) on where you're sitting.

I have difficulty in finding posts on FB: they appear to cluster in 'conversations'. Try searching comments on the post by Hossein Jadidi.

Yes, FB seems to be geared towards single posts... which is great for swift updates (great for our "selfie" generation), I was always taught vanity was wrong...

Well, I use it for design progress "selfie's" :)

PFM is better for longterm discussions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back