advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So roughly speaking DEVDAC (means DAC board + Lakewest modified CM3) end of the year then.

End of September / start of October sounds likely for streamer and DEVDAC and then MDAC2 after that.

So I am still optimistic about getting a MDAC2 as well this year.

Don`t want it repaired,want to wait for MDac2. Wanted to buy a good cheap Dac instead and maybe sell it later. I thought it might be a good Idea to buy that Project Dac,John advisede(made ?). But it was only finished for the Show ,I think now and not in Produktion yet. So still have to wait.

That's why I bought the Brooklyn. The fact it is way ahead of where the L2 MDAC was is a bonus, and the MDAC2 will compete for place as and when it's available. No point repairing the L2 if it's gonna get replaced anyway....

But remember it uses the previous generation ESS Sabre 9018K2M.
MDAC2 and the Project DAC uses the newest generation ESS Sabre DAC.

From the DIY section.

Quick update - IAG replied to my email with an offer to replace 'leaking' caps foc save for carriage. I've asked for clarification about 'bulging' caps and will update as we go.

Otherwise, servicing is £48 per hour plus parts....

Update on the Project status.

1. The PnP machine has been ordered with the 30% deposit transfered.

2. I rearranged the lab to make space for the production equipment - space to build the PCB's. I met with the carpenters to modify the existing benches and add shelf / cabinet for the Ultra Sonic PCB cleaner & Manual solder Paste printer - hopefully they should arrive at the end of next week.

3. The MDAC2 Streamer PCB Solder Paste Stencil arrived from China and fitted to the Printer - our very first "In House" Solder Stencil.

Here's the first version (prototype) A01 streamer PCB fitted in the Solder Paste Printer bed:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mde5nq0xq2x6ixm/MCM3 A01 SSP1.JPG?dl=0

Production Solder Mask (A02) with Prototype A01 PCB below - you can see the alignment of the mask over the pads (Note that the protective film still fitted on the solder Stencil until we actually need it for production):-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6lul6zyh8su7cd/MCM3 A01 SSP2.JPG?dl=0

Zoomed photo and you can see the A01 / A02 PCB differences though the Solder Stencil:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99cgkurjqqkfxyv/MCM3 A01 SSP3.JPG?dl=0

This coming week I carry on with MDAC2 PCB design, install the new Bench's if / when they arrive and also work on the MDAC2 front panel update.

I'm still waiting on a confirmed delivery date for the PnP machine (expected September sometime).

The MDAC2 update front panel design will be kept secret until its released - but it will upgrade the look and feel of the MDAC2 - it can only be retrofitted to DAC's with the streamer PCB installed.

I'd like to thank everyone who Emailed me directly offering there support.

Thanks for the update John. The stencil pics made me chuckle, we have a board at work with over 3,000 components on each side!

Good to have you back John, loads of progress and loads of hard graft in the lab and on your wallet (ouch!).

I just love secrets...:D:D:D...its gonna be soooo cool I'm sure.

I've no idea how the Solder thingy works, I'm just glad you do.

I've just been playing my MDAC for the last three hours and it sounded just brilliant...can't wait for my next WestLake product...(actually I can, as I really enjoy the anticipation).

Thanks for the update.

Thank you John for the update... I very happy to hear about what seems to have been a very productive week! ;-)

Thanks for the update John. The stencil pics made me chuckle, we have a board at work with over 3,000 components on each side!

:) 6000 parts per board - its amazing how quickly the components add up. The PnP machine I've purchased is rated at 1500cph, it would take 4+ hours to complete your board!

Not sure of the final MDAC2 component count, but its going to be about 2000 components - so lets just say about 1.5 hours per PCB, which means 10 boards on a "good" day :)

Still all 100 or so MDAC2's completed within a couple of weeks is no bad thing :)

I can see myself purchasing a faster SMD machine by the years end!

Good to have you back John, loads of progress and loads of hard graft in the lab and on your wallet (ouch!).

I just love secrets...:D:D:D...its gonna be soooo cool I'm sure.

I've no idea how the Solder thingy works, I'm just glad you do.

I've just been playing my MDAC for the last three hours and it sounded just brilliant...can't wait for my next WestLake product...(actually I can, as I really enjoy the anticipation).

Thanks for the update.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your support :)

Jarek and I will take a break from our receptive PCB designs tomorrow and work on the new MDAC2 front panel renderings / mechanical design as we need to open tooling on a "certain part" if tomorrow we can confirm it can all be fitted together.

If it works out as I visualize it in my mind then it will be unique and stunning front panel - give the MDAC2 the front panel it deserves :)

I will need say 20 sponsors to help fund the NRE tooling charges - but it will really make the MDAC2 stunning - clean - simple!

The front panel itself will need to be CNC milled from a solid lump of aluminium and the MDAC2 will endup being deeper by say 20mm due to the extended front panel thickness.

The Solder paste printing is akin to very accurate silkscreen printing with the "paint" being replaced with "liquid" solder paste and a Laser cut metal stencil in place of the soft Silk screen.

When funds allow the manual Silk screen printer will be replaced with an automated machine as stencil alignment with the fine pitched components used is very critical and time consuming - we are especially afraid of the fine pitch components used on the streamer PCB the other PCB's use physically larger components.

Nice to see your advances on the project.

A new special front panel hmmmm you can count me in!
so i'm also ok for NRE tooling funding.

Bests from toulouse :)

If it works out as I visualize it in my mind then it will be unique and stunning front panel - give the MDAC2 the front panel it deserves :)

I will need say 20 sponsors to help fund the NRE tooling charges - but it will really make the MDAC2 stunning - clean - simple!

John, I would like to be one of the 20 sponsors for the NRE tooling. So now only another 18 are required.

For me, I don't need a round of endless questions/answers regarding this, I simply want to support this development whatever the cost as I want the new front panel for my MDAC2 (if you decide to go ahead). It's a matter of trust and friendship and I have both.

let's do it...:D:D:D

PS: I understand silk-screen printing...its a great simple technique.

Hi John, please count me in for the new front panel, and glad to hear that you had a productive few days away from this forum. Nice to have you back though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back