1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC First Listen (part 00110111)

Discussion in 'audio' started by BigDog, May 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDog

BigDog pfm Member

Sorry to have mislead... I should have said "new ISO REGEN" which is on the order of $325 and which includes galvanic isolation, a redesign of the original REGEN which is still available for $175.

Based on comments in this thread by those who I have come to know thru their posts, I have no doubt that John's DETOX will surpass the REGEN in both improved sound quality as well as construction based on number of machine screws if nothing else. :) I have less confidence in the performance of the ISO REGEN if only based on my personal experience.

C'mon DETOX!

2. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

A standard module (CM3) will work but the CPU on the module will not be clocked-locked to the Audio Master Clock.

My intention is to hand rework Modules under a microscope to allow external clock synchronisation - I might only do this for the P&P sponsored units (without extra cost).

We have used an unused I/O pin on the CM3 DIMM connector as a 19.2MHz clock input (PLL'ed from the Audio Master Clocks) and I'll hand modify the module to route this pin to the CPU's XO circuit.

3. JohnW

Sounds like you have a power amplifier with very high gain or very sensitive speakers?

I'd not worry about it too much, there is no neat affordable solution.

4. Richard Kimber

Richard Kimber pfm Member

Have I missed Fusion's view of the Detox, or hasn't he posted it yet?

5. fusion5

fusion5 on the dark side of hifi...

No, you didn't miss anything. Unfortunately I have yet to deliver a final statement on the Superior DAC and the Detox.

I'm sorry, but after my nephew was born 10 days ago, I had a lot of family business going on. This week should be calm enough for me to get more stuff done.

6. dimedrol

dimedrol Member

Mine is a 200W@8Ohm power amp (input impedance 50kOhm) with no gain controls. Most listening I do is at night, hence MDAC volume has to stay below -40db and I saw people on this forum (including you) saying that this is not the best mode for the MDAC, yet it's the mode I need most. So in my situation, is there anything I could do, including opting for a different DAC etc? Or is this particular problem not worth resolving (considering the drawbacks of known approaches)?

7. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

The whole gain of your system is too high, it is really common, with DACs having increasingly high output, a DAC with a variable analogue output would solve the problem.
    Keith

8. dimedrol

dimedrol Member

how is this different from a preamp?

9. Purité Audio

Analogue attenuation decreases the signal and the background noise, digital attenuation decreases the signal but not the back ground noise, that is why it is not good practise to use too much digital attenuation.
    Keith

10. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

11. BigDog

BigDog pfm Member

It may be situations such as this that Mytek anticipated and made allowance for by offering jumpers to lower the gain by 6dB as required. In extreme cases, the Mytek DACs as well as others, I surmise, can overload the amp(s) resulting in distortion.

12. Purité Audio

Having the choice of output allows you to use more of your volume knob!
    Keith

13. dimedrol

dimedrol Member

I understand that some standalone/built-in preamps operate in analogue domain, I just don't understand how are they beneficial to in-line attenuators I already ordered. In-line attenuators are fixed level passive preamps (that is my understanding). And there's a lot of opinions on the internet about them degrading sound.

14. JohnW

This does not apply to a decent digital front end where the significant noise contribution is basically the output impedance of the DAC array.

The MDAC has a balanced Dynamic range of 126dB in standard form any pre-amplifier including a passive pot over most of its operating range is going to add more thermal noise.

Where a Passive pot / "Good" pre-amplifier is going to help is that any Common Mode noise is also going to be attenuated at lower levels - where as the RF "Hush" is outputted at full level at all times with a Digital preamp.

15. dimedrol

dimedrol Member

Now the question of the year is: under what condition will an analogue preamp (attenuator) be beneficial to the MDAC's digital one, provided the listening level is -40db? Are there known implementation meeting that criteria?

16. brab

brab pfm Member

Relax. My situation is similar to yours. I use -15dB Rothwells. Everything sounds great.

17. ChrisPa

ChrisPa pfm Member

No problem with the MDAC at -40db (or less)
    From my listening sessions with some properly implemented balanced attenuators (built by John) I (marginally) preferred the sound without, but any differences were minimal and potentially at the imaginable level.

By all means get some attenuators and see what you think, but I wouldn't unduly worry about it

18. timola

timola pfm Member

On some well produced tracks my MDAC is running at +3db ....and I still want more....:D:D:D

(not really, the system is close to total breakdown at that sound level)...All the amps and the MDAC are really hot after a listening session....worryingly hot, but John assured me the MDAC can't go past about 38 Celsius...so maybe I imagine things.

19. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

20. BigDog

BigDog pfm Member

I am all in favor of volume settings appropriate to the genre of music being played and find that almost nothing sounds good in a whisper.

38degC?! My Pass Class A monos idle at 60degC/140degF. Not a good thing during the warmer times of year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.