advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been out of touch for a while and just spotted that there are now more new items in process..
Whats the ETA for FDAC?

Sam,

No new projects just MDAC2 is now better defined and the design is progressing well.

The idea is to have MDAC2 PP before Munich and I'l be upgrading the units during the show (well during the evenings).

The MDAC2 will be released in stages:-

Stg1.

"Basic" MDAC2 without Streamer or ADC.

Stg2.

RPi CM3 "Streamer module" user installable to Stg1 MDAC2's.

Stg3.

User installable MDAC2 ADC board

Stg4. (After release of FDAC)

User installable FDAC Slave interface board - allows the MDAC2 to become a FDAC "Slave" DAC

Sam,

No new projects just MDAC2 is now better defined and the design is progressing well.

The idea is to have MDAC2 PP before Munich and I'l be upgrading the units during the show (well during the evenings).

The MDAC2 will be released in stages:-

Stg1.

"Basic" MDAC2 without Streamer or ADC.

Stg2.

RPi CM3 "Streamer module" user installable to Stg1 MDAC2's.

Stg3.

User installable MDAC2 ADC board

Stg4. (After release of FDAC)

User installable FDAC Slave interface board - allows the MDAC2 to become a FDAC "Slave" DAC

Oh stage 4 caught my eye I have paid development for 1 Trac slave so I could transfer this a get the MDAC2 ?

1. 79mm Wide x 52mm deep x 20mm high which is designed for portable use - think operating from a Laptop with headphones while travelling etc.

For what it's worth, I'd say phone is the most likely transport for many people, and it becomes a pain with all the cables. For that reason, perhaps Bluetooth should be considered?

We have three DAC's based on our engineering platform we used for MDAC2 / FDAC XMOS software development, but will not be manufactured by us due to our focus being the MDAC2 / FDAC / VFET.

The little DAC's are current going into production.

L1:-

ES9038 Mobile

USB 2.0 PCM 768KHz / DSD256

SPDIF / Optical input

USB powered or optional HQ external PSU

RCA Analogue Line outputs

Selectable digital filters + optimal Transient filters :)

L2:-

As L1 with 6.3mm Headphone Jack + Level control (digital Pre-amplifier)

L3, as L1 but:-

Dual ES9038

1" Colour OLED screen

Remote control

Digital Pre-amplifier

L1 - L3 are currently on the production line, but L3 will be released once its submitted for potential European award...

We have used this platform during the development of the MDAC2 / FDAC by basically adding the more advanced analogue stages, testing PSU's Clocks etc... despite the small footprint and budget pricing they make VERY decent DAC's - but MDAC2 / FDAC will be in a different class.

Due to our workload on core projects these designs are not manufactured by us, but I'm sure I can arrange favourable prices for those planning to join our group at Munich :)
Ah that was what the RCA question was leading up to :)

Looking forward to Munich it would be great to return home with both a mini DAC and a MDAC2 :p

Hi John

The other day I asked you to check what payments I have made to the project.

I would be grateful if you could PM me with this information and also so we can can discuss a refund.

Thanks

Alan

We have three DAC's based on our
engineering platform we used for MDAC2 / FDAC XMOS software development, but will not be manufactured by us due to our focus being the MDAC2 / FDAC / VFET.

The little DAC's are current going into production.

L1:-

ES9038 Mobile

USB 2.0 PCM 768KHz / DSD256

SPDIF / Optical input

USB powered or optional HQ external PSU

RCA Analogue Line outputs

Selectable digital filters + optimal Transient filters :)

L2:-

As L1 with 6.3mm Headphone Jack + Level control (digital Pre-amplifier)

L3, as L1 but:-

Dual ES9038

1" Colour OLED screen

Remote control

Digital Pre-amplifier

L1 - L3 are currently on the production line, but L3 will be released once its submitted for potential European award...

We have used this platform during the development of the MDAC2 / FDAC by basically adding the more advanced analogue stages, testing PSU's Clocks etc... despite the small footprint and budget pricing they make VERY decent DAC's - but MDAC2 / FDAC will be in a different class.

Due to our workload on core projects these designs are not manufactured by us, but I'm sure I can arrange favourable prices for those planning to join our group at Munich :)

MDAC2 Stage 1:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/mdac2 stage 1.JPG

The power connector has been replaced with a 15W D-SUB for higher current and parallel contacts. This also makes it easer for DIY PSU's.

Pair of 12V trigger outputs

Balanced Headphone XLR output

RCA SPDIF inputs have been replaced with BNC

Holes on rear panel for Non installed "options" covered with labels which can be removed when installing future options.

MDAC2 Stage 2 (RPi CM3 module installed).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/mdac2 stage 2 RPiCM3.JPG

MDAC2 Stage 3 (ADC PCB installed):-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/mdac2 stage 3 ADC.JPG

MDAC2 Stage 4 (FDAC "Slave")

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/mdac2 stage 4 Slave input.JPG

MDAC2 with all options installed:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC2 stage 1 to 4 RPiCM3 ADC Slave.JPG

To insure A Munch delivery date, the MDAC2 will be released as Stage 1, with the other options (RPI CM3, ADC & FDAC Slave interface) user installable as they are developed and available.

The other day I asked you to check what payments I have made to the project.

A will confirm your payment status with Renata tomorrow - and we can add you to a list to pass your position onto project newcomers - but I don't expect movement until we open order books for the MDAC2 "PCB at cost".

We will have first MDAC2 PP units sometime before Munich - with first units most likely ungraded by me personally during the show... possibly slightly earlier (with the first PP boards).

Ah that was what the RCA question was leading up to :)

Well for those who don't require XLR output (I DO!) then its going to be hard to find a better DAC at the price :)

Looking forward to Munich it would be great to return home with both a mini DAC and a MDAC2 :p

I suggest the L3 version with the Dual ESS9038's (mobiles) :) if is available for release (we are not in the loop as we made it clear that apart from forwarding samples and design files etc. we have no time for production support apart from confirming the PP / TO samples - I'm not sure of the "Awards release" requirements...).

The only change to our XMOS development PCB's is the customised front panels that Jarek turned around within a couple of days.

A will confirm your payment status with Renata tomorrow - and we can add you to a list to pass your position onto project newcomers - but I don't expect movement until we open order books for the MDAC2 "PCB at cost".

We will have first MDAC2 PP units sometime before Munich - with first units most likely ungraded by me personally during the show... possibly slightly earlier (with the first PP boards).

Thanks John but I am going to have to insist on a refund.

The project specification has changed from what I signed up for and costs have increased beyond what was originally stated. 4+ years and no sign of a product.

Under the circumstances I think it only reasonable that you provide a refund and take on the responsibility yourself of re-selling the position.

If you are confident about the product and its delivery then this shouldnt be a problem.

regards

Alan

Well for those who don't require XLR output (I DO!) then its going to be hard to find a better DAC at the price :)

I suggest the L3 version with the Dual ESS9038's (mobiles) :) if is available for release (we are not in the loop as we made it clear that apart from forwarding samples and design files etc. we have no time for production support apart from confirming the PP / TO samples - I'm not sure of the "Awards release" requirements...).

The only change to our XMOS development PCB's is the customised front panels that Jarek turned around within a couple of days.
Yes the L3 looks like a nice little DAC.

Would like to bring a MDAC2 home from Munich but I sold my MDAC almost a year ago.
Would it be possible to either buy one of the salvaged or a faulty one if you get your hands on some faulty stock?

With regards to the MDAC2 Slave option, would the MDAC2 be suitable for a 2 channel active crossover, bi-amp solution with the FDAC or only in multi-channel set ups?

John,
hopefully I can manage a trip to Munich show too, as I might be the one with the longest journey (35km :) )
If there is anything I can do to support you, just let me know.

The project specification has changed from what I signed up for and costs have increased beyond what was originally stated. 4+ years and no sign of a product.

Yes I'm very confident in the MDAC2 audio performance :) prototypes with the XMOS development board & the superior PCB connected together are certainly a big leap over MDAC - we have optimised the design further (over the "Simple" internal XMOS development PCB) and the MDAC2 also uses the higher end ES9028Pro which is a more advanced device then the ES9038 Mobiles used during out tests.... We now have the final debugged (hopefully) ES9028Pros IC’s on the bench so we will be able to listen to the “finalized” design by the end on January.

I beg to differ on the "Original" Spec. the MDAC2 is very close (ignoring the latest Hyperstream2 ESS DACs which remove the need for FPGA on the MDAC2 design) also the cost is certainly very close.

Wither I have faith in the MDAC2 has nothing to do about refunding you, we have and still ARE developing the design - the development payments are self explanatory and CLEARLY have funded the designs development. I standby my offer of exchanging your position with a project newcomer - but this will not likely happen until we have "finalized" prototype design and the "At Cost" order books are opened.

With Detox closer to shipping then MDAC2 and if sales are brisk then I'd be more then happy to clear the MDAC / FDAC "Exchange list" - but thats not likely to happen until say Mid February (after Chinese New Year) - but a couple of months earlier then MDAC2...

I'm certainly not going to refund you above the few others that have been patiently waiting to exchange there production slot (it simply would not be fair) - despite the very public "noise" you are creating - I'm certainly very sorry your so upset / disappointed with me and as you can well imagine I'm the kind of person that takes this to heart and have made it my #1 goal to get MDAC2 released and shipped ASAP.

With the MDAC2 design now clearly defined into simplified production / logistics stages nothing but mass project sponsor uproar and discontent well prevent the MDAC2 being available for upgrade by me personally at Munich -so I kindly ask for your further patience - and you never know, as I mentioned maybe pending Detox sales will allow a swifter resolution :)

One things for sure, generating a very public discontent is not going to make it easy to give others faith in me once the upgrade PCBs are available - so your shooting yourself in your foot with your current actions - although I do clearly hear and understand your unhappiness – and I can only apologise for my failings on timescales.

Last night I posted the finalized MDAC2 configurations’ (Stages) – this is the now fasttrack development path we are working to :)

John,
hopefully I can manage a trip to Munich show too, as I might be the one with the longest journey (35km :) )
If there is anything I can do to support you, just let me know.

Thats it - we are all staying at your home :) I see a mass PFM "house" party :) (dont worry, only joking) :)

It will be great to finally meet with you at the show - and thank you for the kind offer.

Yes the L3 looks like a nice little DAC.

Would like to bring a MDAC2 home from Munich but I sold my MDAC almost a year ago.
Would it be possible to either buy one of the salvaged or a faulty one if you get your hands on some faulty stock?

Rune,

We can give you an uncased board / kit - I'm sure we can cobble together a Front panel solution.

Once the FDAC's are out of the way, then we will re-look at the MDAC2 and our idea is to design a full width chassis with internal PSU and OLED display etc. allowing the MDAC2 PCB's to be transferred to a single chassis which matches the FDAC / VFET.

Another noise ….

I don't care about the MDAC2 since it was jointly ditched long time ago in favour of the FDAC after a poll between all supporters and consequently I sold my MDAC.

Then JohnW breached the joint FDAC agreement without asking supporters and started development of MDAC2 as well as a new DAC for some unknown commercial vendor. Happy to support this commercial vendor with my 600GBP!

Compared to above the ”noise” as JohnW calls it from BE718 is nothing.

At least the FDAC agreement and agreed priorities (1. Detox 2. FDAC) between supporters & JohnW should be respected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back