advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 4 din is not a balanced connection then I would think so although John's previous reply suggests that if you are going from 4 pin din to XLR for amplification there could be some benefit. Probably worth investigating.

What are you thinking of doing?

If 4 din is not a balanced connection then I would think so although John's previous reply suggests that if you are going from 4 pin din to XLR for amplification there could be some benefit. Probably worth investigating.

What are you thinking of doing?

2 x XLRs on DAC to single 4 pin DIN on Naim/Avondale power amp. Currently RCA to DIN.

Thought that would be the case, I'm happy as it is anyway. Ta.

I'm guessing that even though your using the Physical XLR connectors, the cables are wired single ended to your amps.

The little Dacs based on our XMOS development board will work just as well even though they are only single-end as this is how your MDAC is currently connected :)

The little Dacs based on our XMOS development board will work just as well even though they are only single-end as this is how your MDAC is currently connected :)

John,

Are you planning a product around this design?

I think it is a good idea to do a mini DAC based around the development board. One of each inputs and RCA out is normal for a mini DAC.

If I had one I would use it together with a RPI or one of the other SOC. Guess there is no issues recognizing the DAC while using USB.

John,

I think it is a good idea to do a mini DAC based around the development board. One of each inputs and RCA out is normal for a mini DAC.

If I had one I would use it together with a RPI or one of the other SOC. Guess there is no issues recognizing the DAC while using USB.

One can also use RCA-XLR interconnects on the miniDAC I should think ;-)

Perhaps it would be more appealing to more people if they were balanced XLR outputs which could be converted to RCA? Although I agree that RCA is probably what most people would expect and use.

I guess that the RCA only design also keep cost down which is important for the sucess of a mini DAC.

Those that needs/wants XLR would probably not buy it in the first place.

I guess that the RCA only design also keep cost down which is important for the sucess of a mini DAC.

Those that needs/wants XLR would probably not buy it in the first place.

Agree, it is a miniDAC after all ...RCA gives all the cable kniggits something to tweak the sonics further with <cheeseysmile>

For me, yes

Chris,

We have a two balanced uDACs planned:-

1. 79mm Wide x 52mm deep x 20mm high which is designed for portable use - think operating from a Laptop with headphones while travelling etc.

2. 120mm wide x 36mm High x 110mm deep part of a Micro series

These designs follow after the MDAC2 / FDAC / VFETs.

We have three DAC's based on our engineering platform we used for MDAC2 / FDAC XMOS software development, but will not be manufactured by us due to our focus being the MDAC2 / FDAC / VFET.

The little DAC's are current going into production.

L1:-

ES9038 Mobile

USB 2.0 PCM 768KHz / DSD256

SPDIF / Optical input

USB powered or optional HQ external PSU

RCA Analogue Line outputs

Selectable digital filters + optimal Transient filters :)

L2:-

As L1 with 6.3mm Headphone Jack + Level control (digital Pre-amplifier)

L3, as L1 but:-

Dual ES9038

1" Colour OLED screen

Remote control

Digital Pre-amplifier

L1 - L3 are currently on the production line, but L3 will be released once its submitted for potential European award...

We have used this platform during the development of the MDAC2 / FDAC by basically adding the more advanced analogue stages, testing PSU's Clocks etc... despite the small footprint and budget pricing they make VERY decent DAC's - but MDAC2 / FDAC will be in a different class.

Due to our workload on core projects these designs are not manufactured by us, but I'm sure I can arrange favourable prices for those planning to join our group at Munich :)

Been out of touch for a while and just spotted that there are now more new items in process..
Whats the ETA for FDAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back