advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPI3 running LMS and Squeezelite with 13000+ WAV files in external HDD is using 2-3% of CPU on playback. It have worked without any problem via USB with MDAC and Mojo so far.
YMMV!

Yes LMS with Squeezelite on a RPI has very decent performance.

But the UI and searches can get even more responsive if you run LMS on something faster. That is why the Roon server recommendation is i3 or faster even though it can run on a x86 NAS with only an Atom processor.

The good thing about having the CM3 is that those of us that want something different can install it. So as I see it there is only upsides to this :)

Why would they want to write to the SD (eMMC)? If they need temporary files, /tmp will be on ramfs or tmpfs, so that will work fine. Any other storage can also be read-write, it's just the OS disk image itself will be read-only.

(You can still modify it externally, just not while running the system from it.)

LMS is using for example SQL database which requires updating time to time (music library updates, etc.), logs...

You might to want to look at the wiki (not sure if up to date):
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Logitech_Media_Server_file_locations

But the UI and searches can get even more responsive if you run LMS on something faster. That is why the Roon server recommendation is i3 or faster even though it can run on a x86 NAS with only an Atom processor.

It's common sense that faster processor probably give you better response but you forget that LMS is searching from local database which was built when you (re)scan the music library. So the performance difference is probably smaller than you tried to propose.

For example rebuilding/rescanning previously mentioned music library using RPI3 is much faster than using my NAS (ext4 w/ raid5) for same operation. On the other hand the NAS has also other services running.

RPI3 based standalone LMS server with Squeezelite might be enough for quite many of us (it's also light and portable).

It's common sense that faster processor probably give you better response but you forget that LMS is searching from local database which was built when you (re)scan the music library. So the performance difference is probably smaller than you tried to propose.

For example rebuilding/rescanning previously mentioned music library using RPI3 is much faster than using my NAS (ext4 w/ raid5) for same operation. On the other hand the NAS has also other services running.

RPI3 based standalone LMS server with Squeezelite might be enough for quite many of us (it's also light and portable).
Agree LMS + Squeezelite is enough for most I am not denying that even on the same RPI3. The RPI 3 is faster than most NAS servers people have. Especially if it is more than a year old ARM based NAS.
What I am trying to say is that in my world it better only have the endpoint Squeezelite or RoonBridge on the DACs RPI CM3.
Because the endpoint will not need to write to on board storage. Which in my view makes the system more robust and add to bloat.

The server on the other hand will write to its data base and therefore in my view it is better located on another box which could be another RPI3. But YMMV.

I have testet LMS on various platforms. It is considerable faster on a i5 Haswell NUC with Linux compared to a Synology DS1010+ with dual core Intel Atom D510 1.6 MHz.

I don't like Volumio buy the way because it is no inferior compared LMS on UI. But it is fine as a prof of concept.
And Roon is much better than LMS but it cost more than most are willing to pay.

LMS is using for example SQL database which requires updating time to time (music library updates, etc.), logs...
Ah, okay. But squeezelite is not full blown LMS. If you want to run LMS, you'll either have to do it on a different OS image or repack the one I'll make as ie. ext4 instead of squashfs.

Ah, okay. But squeezelite is not full blown LMS. If you want to run LMS, you'll either have to do it on a different OS image or repack the one I'll make as ie. ext4 instead of squashfs.

Are we not better off only having the endpoint(clint) and not the server on the SOC?

I would think that this is more robust.

Are we not better off only having the endpoint(clint) and not the server on the SOC?

I would think that this is more robust.
Yes, that is what I'll do by default, but others are free to modify the system however they want.

I've had a problem with my MDAC today, I've always used the USB connection, a couple of times my PC has refused to talk to it, but rebooting/disconnecting/restarting DAC has fixed it, however today I could't get it to work at all.

The display said USB Ready, JRiver said it was playing but no sound was coming out, I turned everything off one thing at a time then JRiver would just crash when I hit play, despite the DAC saying USB Ready, I have a USB to SPDIF converter so I plugged that into my USB and used the MDAC coax input, this works fine. I've not tried the MDAC USB again yet as I was just happy to be able to listen to music.

My USB to SPDIF is the Matrix one so quite good and 24/192 capable, in previous listening tests I was unable to tell any difference between it and the MDACs USB input, I stopped using it as less boxes is easier, I haven't done a comparison since adding the triple Calex though.

Been unable to follow the thread for a month or so due to over work..

What’s the current situation wrt to Detox production / estimated delivery, please ?.

Thanks.

As far as I can remember production is still promised in February.

I'll be visiting China mid February for Detox T0 production of say 10Pcs - once we have confirmed pricing then I'll open the "order Books" for those first 10 units.

MP (Mass production) will follow once I've confirm the 10 Pcs.

I've not been posting much as I have been "Single Mindedly" working on the MDAC2.

We have updated the MDAC2 hardware to be able to support MQA via a software update (+Fee) if MQA becomes an important feature.... We should have first listen to MQA next week, PCB arrived Thursday, but parts shortages have prevented us building the PCB over the weekend :(

Yaaayyy looking very much forward to finally getting something to shame my Oppo for music John! :)

Incidentally, an excellent track to audition which has tremendous 3 dimensional properties (can be found on Spotify) is "Bubbles" from the Wandering Album of Yosi Horikawa - has marbles tinkering around and if your system is set up right, can hear them bouncing all over the room, in their locality! Was most impressed hearing this on a friend's Lyngdorf setup

BR, Paul

We have updated the MDAC2 hardware to be able to support MQA via a software update (+Fee) if MQA becomes an important feature.... We should have first listen to MQA next week, PCB arrived Thursday, but parts shortages have prevented us building the PCB over the weekend :(
Great that you have made sure it possible to enable native MQA decode via a software update. :cool:

Looking forward to your findings when you have had a first listen to MQA.

I do not expect MQA to be a substitute for native DSD but it is interesting because it gives access to higher than CD quality content from the Tidal streaming service which at the moment is the biggest source for MQA content and it also makes the £20 hifi tier a bit better VFM.

One thing I am wondering is if those that suddenly cannot live without MQA support has the same interest for MQA after their 3 month free Tidal trial period have ended. We will see in 2 month :)

@ John Understand that you're busy, guess you missed my post last weekend :(

I'd appreciate if you could make some time in your schedule to organise return of my MDAC pls. Last reply you were planning to ship it the following day - nothing's arrived and no tracking info for me to chase up on this end :confused:

Hi John, thanks. Do you know if the same will be available for the F-DAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back