advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John, thanks. Do you know if the same will be available for the F-DAC?

If MQA makes sense then same for FDAC - but there will be an extra fee which might be substantial due to the need to spread the MQA conformity and approval fee across so few units.

But FDAC hardware will be able to support MQA.

@ John Understand that you're busy, guess you missed my post last weekend :(

I'd appreciate if you could make some time in your schedule to organise return of my MDAC pls. Last reply you were planning to ship it the following day - nothing's arrived and no tracking info for me to chase up on this end :confused:

Alan,

I'll complete a section of MDAC2 PCB by Tuesday then I'll work on your MDAC - sorry for the delay I'm being pulled in all directions ATM with MDAC2 being my priority.

Yaaayyy looking very much forward to finally getting something to shame my Oppo for music John! :)

Incidentally, an excellent track to audition which has tremendous 3 dimensional properties (can be found on Spotify) is "Bubbles" from the Wandering Album of Yosi Horikawa - has marbles tinkering around and if your system is set up right, can hear them bouncing all over the room, in their locality! Was most impressed hearing this on a friend's Lyngdorf setup

BR, Paul

Just checked into availability of the "Wandering" album. From what I can gather, it is 4 tracks including "Bubbles" and available as MP3 only download for $1.99 at least here in the States.

I did find the full digital discography for about 9.75GBP in FLAC so ordered that.

Looking forward to exploring a new artist. Thanks for recommendation!

If MQA makes sense then same for FDAC - but there will be an extra fee which might be substantial due to the need to spread the MQA conformity and approval fee across so few units.

But FDAC hardware will be able to support MQA.

John, many thanks for the clarification.

I'll be visiting China mid February for Detox T0 production of say 10Pcs - once we have confirmed pricing then I'll open the "order Books" for those first 10 units.

MP (Mass production) will follow once I've confirm the 10 Pcs.
Thanks, John.

Alan,

I'll complete a section of MDAC2 PCB by Tuesday then I'll work on your MDAC - sorry for the delay I'm being pulled in all directions ATM with MDAC2 being my priority.

You mentioned the MDAC was boxed and ready to be shipped a couple of weeks ago John.

After nearly 12 months without it, can I ask you to make it one of your priorities, to return it this week please.

I'll resend the address so its at the top of your inbox.

Just checked into availability of the "Wandering" album. From what I can gather, it is 4 tracks including "Bubbles" and available as MP3 only download for $1.99 at least here in the States.

I did find the full digital discography for about 9.75GBP in FLAC so ordered that.

Great! Will be interested to hear what you think...and if you'd recommend to John for MDAC auditions :) ...another impressive sounding track, surprisingly was the old "The Pink Panther Theme" by Henry Mancini, from Greatest Hits. Not quite my Genre, but how the instruments paint the stage is also impressive!

You mentioned the MDAC was boxed and ready to be shipped a couple of weeks ago John.

After nearly 12 months without it, can I ask you to make it one of your priorities, to return it this week please.

I'll resend the address so its at the top of your inbox.

Rick,

I'm sorry I confused your unit with Alans, yes its ready and box to go, Renata will post it after lunch when she returns.

BTW. it still has Detox software loaded into it which has a bug (only related to the Detox operation) so if you do use with Detox I recommend using the official release.

Ricky,

Renata's just checking your DAC before is sent - did you still have the screen protector film on your unit?

Also, when your unit arrived last year I replaced only the bad caps - I've since done a full recap since we used it for our Detox listening tests - so it will need time to run-in as the caps are fresh... so just leave it powered for 3-5 days...

It's on Bandcamp for £2.50 so you can hear before buying. Sounds like table tennis balls on the Bubbles track.

Very nice idea of Horikawa to develop music from everyday sounds.

Alas, the intro of Bubbles sounds totally plastic to me, interesting 3D effects, but the sound quality is nothing to judge a DAC by, IMHO.

The next song on that album sounds more natural, but still no cigar.

If you're on Tidal, check out the album "Bells: Sound Effects". That's some proper sound material. Lacking the whistles, though (and no MQA, gosh)...

Very nice idea of Horikawa to develop music from everyday sounds.

Alas, the intro of Bubbles sounds totally plastic to me, interesting 3D effects, but the sound quality is nothing to judge a DAC by, IMHO.

If you're on Tidal, check out the album "Bells: Sound Effects". That's some proper sound material. Lacking the whistles, though (and no MQA, gosh)...

I think it may be ping pong balls maybe mixed with other, hence the "plastic" sound.

Given how nice many of the Horikawa tracks sound, I was quite surprised that the majority of the tracks in the digital discography only have a Dynamic Range of 5-7 with few even being close to 10. Not sure why recordings with such detail, delicacy, and, presumably, frequency range are recorded compressed?!

Don't do Tidal or any streaming but would like more info on "Bells: Sound Effects", i.e., is it a track or album?

That's the feeling I get at home when listening via my Oppo, not that special ...on that Lyngdorf I was most impressed as you could hear the balls panning all about the stage

I'm hoping it's just the TDAi Lyngdorf DAC making the difference and our MDAC2s will do same and better!

It's an album. I searched for "sound effects" on Tidal in order to compare natural sounds to the intro of Bubbles, to make sure the odd plastic sound was not my systems' fault.

I have been a table tennis player for quite a part of my youth, I know how table tennis balls sound in the real world ;-) That's a different kind of 'plastic'.

Edit: Not to be misunderstood: Yes, it's table tennis balls on the recording - but the recording is mangled somehow. Maybe to do with the 3D effect, maybe to compression or some other processing.

That's the feeling I get at home when listening via my Oppo, not that special ...on that Lyngdorf I was most impressed as you could hear the balls panning all about the stage

I'm hoping it's just the TDAi Lyngdorf DAC making the difference and our MDAC2s will do same and better!

It's a pity I can't check it out on that Lyngdorf!

It's a pity I can't check it out on that Lyngdorf!

Yes a pity because I was impressed with that track and the Pink Panther intro - he is in Reading, but Wife about to give birth within the week ETA so not even I will be back there for some time, to listen to music at least hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back