advertisement

Mains Cables

Thats the stuff, standard 3183Y. A few friends are now using it too, and all have been pleased with the results.
I also used 3183Y when I made up a set of leads with one of those Maplins multi plugs and some decent quality IEC plugs. Good value and effective imo.

That says it all, really, head-in-the sand. You forget that some of us have experimented, and not found the difference that others have, but you don't wish those people to comment. That's a true negative attitude.

+1
The assumption of the OP undermines his credibility of being open minded. In fact he seems provocatively predjudiced. Ive tried and cannot hear any benefits. Save your cash for spikes or supports..

I have yet to really notice any difference, but still splash out a limited amount just in case!! and to make sure I've at least covered that base

A subjective "I heard no difference" is as valid as any other subjective finding on a subjective thread.

Objectivist cries for "proof", of "wild claims" etc are not.

Then there are the "you so funny ha ha" interjections from the board's oafs.

A subjective "I heard no difference" is as valid as any other subjective finding on a subjective thread.

Objectivist cries for "proof", of "wild claims" etc are not.

All IYO of course.

there was a debate this morning on BBC1 concerning the teachings of religion in schools. It struck me that there are very obvious parallels between religion and this manins lead nonsense. Both are based on faith, and no proof can be supplied, both have a god (the manufacturer) both have a jesus (the retailer) and both have their flock (of sheep?) the end user. Of course, I await the usual brush off about 'braying' and 'foghorn' type noises coming from those who point blank refuse to accept any doctrine other than their own, or those who frankly uanble to provide any evidence of the existence of their mains god or indeed those who follow blindly the teachings of their own personal jesus (dealer). This will of course go on for ages until someone says something somebody else takes the wrong (or indeed the right way) and bleats about it to Tony as is usual.

I always use mains cables that meet the standards of the country I happen to be in. They all seem to perform their function well.

Dino and Sue, nice to see you already on the offensive against people whose opinion is different from yours. Can't you let your provocative postings rest? These are only peripheral bits of hifi, which in itself isn't important in:eek: the overall scheme of things.

Plus one for the avole by god.

See, we can get along. :eek:

All IYO of course.

there was a debate this morning on BBC1 concerning the teachings of religion in schools. It struck me that there are very obvious parallels between religion and this manins lead nonsense. Both are based on faith, and no proof can be supplied, both have a god (the manufacturer) both have a jesus (the retailer) and both have their flock (of sheep?) the end user. Of course, I await the usual brush off about 'braying' and 'foghorn' type noises coming from those who point blank refuse to accept any doctrine other than their own, or those who frankly uanble to provide any evidence of the existence of their mains god or indeed those who follow blindly the teachings of their own personal jesus (dealer). This will of course go on for ages until someone says something somebody else takes the wrong (or indeed the right way) and bleats about it to Tony as is usual.

More outright sanity! How dare you :mad::mad::mad: You shall upset the true believers and hellfire shall rain down on yo ass!

I have yet to really notice any difference, but still splash out a limited amount just in case!! and to make sure I've at least covered that base

It is the just in case mindset I feel sorry for. Tried no help leave. Id like to hear a demo where they do!

You are required to provide at least a feasible reason for any claims Steven.

I don't agree. Just because you do not know why something exhibits certain behaviour does not mean that it does not. Typically, in man's understanding of the world, he has observed the behaviour first and then sought to figure out the whys.

I'm not saying Steven is right about these cables, I don't know, but you can't throw out his opinion just because he can't back it up on paper. Although I'm sure you will anyway...

Your number 5 is tautological because you have effectively stated that there is no difference because there is no difference or they do not work because they do not work. That is tautology.

This may help:

http://m.dictionary.com/definition/tautology/?linkId=ibc5yn

Please explain to me why you think they may not work. Remember that absence of proof is not proof of absence and as I am neither a vendor nor a manufacturer I am under no requirement to provide objective proof.

I have not stated anything. I added an option to your list which requires peoples attention. You are the one going off on a little tantrum.

All IYO of course.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is evidence-based therapy with a 55-70% cure rate for emotional disorders like a craving for certainty.

Regarding religion, as I have no evidence either way I have no belief either way. I can live with the uncertainty of not knowing whether or not god exists and if s/he did exist what form s/he would take.

Regarding mains cables my position is the same. I neither believe nor disbelieve. I act on personal experience (quite different from belief) and live happily with all the uncertainty that this brings. I am at peace with my fallible human condition without need to catastrophise over the risk of having wasted a couple of hundred quid.

It is only money. It isn't life and death.

I have not stated anything. I added an option to your list which requires peoples attention. You are the one going off on a little tantrum.

Category error ^
Explaining the concept of tautology and supplying a link is hardly throwing a tantrum. Perhaps it's a cerebral tantrum!

Category error ^
Explaining the concept of tautology and supplying a link is hardly throwing a tantrum. Perhaps it's a cerebral tantrum!

For someone who is so neutral to the concept of mains cables you seem rather resistant to accepting a 5th item to your list of possibilities.
Perhaps you arent so neutral after all. :)

Oh dear Steve. Why can't you come up with anything original? You know full well I was not questioning your religious faith, but rather your faith - for that is just what it is - in your mains paraphernalia. That you refuse to see or accept that you base your findings on faith merely shows how resistant to questioning you are on the subject. You come across as someone who has such a high level of arrogance on the subject since you refuse to accept there could be an alternative, an alternative where you are proved wrong. It matters not that there have been no tests ever where anyone including the 'golden ears' have not been able to hear a difference after decades of bickering, you simply accept what you think you hear, and what others tell you to hear. I am so glad I am not that gullible.

I tend to think a lot of the stuff surrounding the hobby-mains, cables, supports etc is about managing your mental state and mental state will affect perception. Objectively it makes no difference to the sound but subjectively it does.

Oh dear, this won't end well.

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the first line of post no 2 :D

Flippancy aside, a couple of the posts has directed the OP to some fairly inexpensive well shielded options and a slightly more expensive one in addition to the rather eccentrically priced "Powerline". Why doesn't the OP try one or more and come back and tell all?

I never had any issues with Naim's stock cables. Indeed, they used to pride themselves on their gear not benefiting from after-market cables until they made one, of course. :D

Before Dave swallows a rock on that one, their position was always "until they heard something better" but that was never going to be made by someone else, now was it. The earthing arrangement lent itself to the Graham's Hydra type of arrangement for many users, has the OP tried that?

Oh dear Steve. Why can't you come up with anything original? You know full well I was not questioning your religious faith, but rather your faith - for that is just what it is - in your mains paraphernalia. That you refuse to see or accept that you base your findings on faith merely shows how resistant to questioning you are on the subject. You come across as someone who has such a high level of arrogance on the subject since you refuse to accept there could be an alternative, an alternative where you are proved wrong. It matters not that there have been no tests ever where anyone including the 'golden ears' have not been able to hear a difference after decades of bickering, you simply accept what you think you hear, and what others tell you to hear. I am so glad I am not that gullible.

Thanks for the scripted answer that belies a complete lack of understanding of my position.

I am glad that you think you are not gullible. You obviously crave certainty. If the symptoms become acute help is available. Repeated tests only feed a craving for more tests. They do not tackle the root of the problem.

PS: watch the multiple negatives. They may not mean what you would like them to mean.

I have used Furutech at £30 a metre plus the cost of plugs each end and I sold my Nordost Vishnu and Russ Andrews reference, the Furutech was that much better. I bought it from mainscablesr-us and David Brooks the owner was the most helpful supplier I've ever encountered. I did notice a huge difference in sound quality, the same as I did with the Isotek Sigmas, mains quality in my opinion is as important as interconnects, speaker cable and equipment isolation. Hope this helps.

Steve, you are coming over as arrogant again. I do not crave certainty, in fact I have certainty on my side. The default position is that there is no effect from fancy mains leads, whatever your mate larry tells you, and so I have no need to prove anything, or indeed to 'crave' anything. It is this single point on which you dwell so much that is your undoing. There can be no proof, otherwise there would have been swathes of it by now from those who peddle their wares. That you cannot see this only proves to me your gullibility, and your craving for certainty where it concerns fairies at the bottom of the garden.

I am sure you must think yourself rather clever, but let me assure you there are those who read your comments and laugh. If just one test showed a difference you would be completely vindicated, yet among an industry that must generate millions, and many people who claim to be able to tell the difference there has not been one. Not any. None. Nada. Now, that is certainty for you.

Your repeated attempts to belittle those who disagree with you by suggesting they require some kind of help illustrates your inability to prove your point.

I have used Furutech at £30 a metre plus the cost of plugs each end and I sold my Nordost Vishnu and Russ Andrews reference, the Furutech was that much better. I bought it from mainscablesr-us and David Brooks the owner was the most helpful supplier I've ever encountered. I did notice a huge difference in sound quality, the same as I did with the Isotek Sigmas, mains quality in my opinion is as important as interconnects, speaker cable and equipment isolation. Hope this helps.

Welcome to Pink Fish. David Brookes does put together some nice cables and I remember one at Scalford bringing my Eikos CD player up to another level of resolution.

advertisement

Back