advertisement

Mains Cables

What difference is it going to make if the cabling from the sub station is not up to the same spec. as the relatively short end user flexible lead? If the cable can carry the max. current draw at the rated voltage without overheating surely that is sufficient? The 13 amp fuse is also going to negate any so called benefits isn't it?

You are barking up the wrong tree. Just listen and consider that there is something that you perhaps haven't thought of and no it doesn't belong in the realm of medieval fantasy.

I just had two radial circuits fitted, and they have really helped with the noisy mains I have, the new sockets are next to the existing ones so easy to compare, Jack (BD Audio ) fitted them I am extremely pleased.
Keith.

Thanks everyOne. I'm not interested in the negative comments tbh. I much prefer real life experiences. As with any upgrade you are best to audition first.
I see there are a few the bay at the moment starting at the £50 mark.
I have chord odysey2 speaker cable. It was a big step up from naca5 so I'm sure the mains cable are superb also.

Gary, if you have other Chord cables in the system, then definitely look to get Chord mains leads. I use Chord interconnects where I can, using Epic to speakers myself which I believe is odyssey but with a shield (could be wrong on that, but thought I remember reading it somewhere).

Best of luck:cool:

I've run a dedicated spur, more by accident than design, in the house. Can't really say if there was a difference because there was no electricity before, but, given that I'm next to a farm and the last but one on that part of the grid, you'd expect that my mains wouldn't be the cleanest.

The only noise I remember hearing was the bang when the local farmer accidentally short-circuited something that took the whole village out.

As an electrician and a keen audio buff, i'm lucky enough to have had quite some experience with main-supplies for audio and HT systems. In my opinion, different power cables can CHANGE the sound of components they supply. Whether the difference is favourable to a particular customer is purely down to how they feel when listening. Some like certain cables, some prefer others. So, the only sensible course of action is to try and audition as many different types of powercord as possible and hopefully stumble on something that suits your own ears. Sometimes, the standard OEM power leads work best, sometimes not.

Now, whether the 'change' is an 'improvement' or not is very very subjective.

Cant really recommend buying power leads without trying them in your system first.

Steve,
I was referring to cabling from sub station right through to your domestic 13 amp wall socket. Incidentally, I have tried a dedicated mains spur (professionally installed) once when we had a rewire of a house - personally I could not detect any difference and my power amps. still had a transformer buzz when the washing machine motor was on!

I still have the noise of the fridge switching through mine. I asked Robert about this when he visited Monday. It would seem that when the fridge switches on the small spark creates airborne RFI that is then picked up by the system. If my phone is sending/receiving data it makes a noise through my speakers if it is within 3m of my amps. It is not connected.

The point of the dedicated mains isn't about being rid of all clicks and pops it is about lowering the noise floor in order to improve your system's dynamics

I have dedicated radial circuits to each piece of kit, running from a dedicated consumer unit. The sonic difference between this and connecting to the house ring main was huge.
The equipment mains leads I use are 4mm electrical flex into a wattgate IEC plug. They were far better than the original supplied cables and also better than russ andrews yellows, which I am now selling.
If the rest of your system is well set up and of good quality then upgrading the mains feeding it removes a bottleneck in the supply.

In which case would it be true to say the French/non-UK European system should be intrinsically better for HiFi anyway, since the law requires that washing machines, ovens, dishwashers etc have to be on their own individual spur, and the maximum number of sockets you can have on any other spur is 6.

Sorry it most certainly isnt. You are assuming 1 to 4 are correct yet wont accept that my number 5 could ever be correct.

The most closed of minds me thinks

Your number 5 is tautological because you have effectively stated that there is no difference because there is no difference or they do not work because they do not work. That is tautology.

This may help:

http://m.dictionary.com/definition/tautology/?linkId=ibc5yn

Please explain to me why you think they may not work. Remember that absence of proof is not proof of absence and as I am neither a vendor nor a manufacturer I am under no requirement to provide objective proof.

I have dedicated radial circuits to each piece of kit, running from a dedicated consumer unit. The sonic difference between this and connecting to the house ring main was huge.
The mains cables I use are 4mm electrical flex into a wattgate IEC plug. They were far better than the original supplied cables and also better than russ andrews yellows, which I am now selling.

Totally agree on the benefits of a 'cleaner' supply to kit.

Also, funnily enough, I use home-brew 4mm Flex as power leads (type H05VV-F3) and it works well in many cases.

Totally agree on the benefits of a 'cleaner' supply to kit.

Also, funnily enough, I use home-brew 4mm Flex as power leads (type H05VV-F3) and it works well in many cases.

Thats the stuff, standard 3183Y. A few friends are now using it too, and all have been pleased with the results.

I hope I am open minded so being curious why people may hear a difference I tried a
Mains Cables R Us No.14 Mains
Lead on my amp last Dec.. Good build tight plugs, thick cable. What difference am I likely to hear? 5 months now.
I bought some Tellurium Black cables 2 weeks ago - heared the difference out of the box as I did with an NVA Super Sound Pipe.
At least I can save money on mains cables.
Best of luck if they give you deafening benefits.

Mark Grant DSP 2.5 (silver) £62.50 for a 1.7m run. You can specify any length you require and pay accordingly. Available on a 30 day sale or return basis. You simply pay the return postage.

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/i...oducts_id=69&zenid=5bf0p4g7ln54p1fj746u7mpbc0

I have 5 of these in my system.

Those who have subjectively heard no benefit from using after-market mains cables, this could be for the following reasons:

1) The mains quality where they are is very good and the substation is very close by.
2) There is a bigger bottleneck somewhere else in the system or how it is set up.
3) The mains cables they have tried aren't actually that good regardless of the cost.
4) Negative expectation bias.

I have experienced 2) and 3) above.

The Mark Grant leads that I use improve instrumental texture, timing and leading eadge definition quite significantly. YMMV in which case send them back within 30 days. He doesn't get many returns apart from those that are of an incorrectly specified length.

Steven you are the most oddly amusing poster here. No question at all.:)

I hope I am open minded so being curious why people may hear a difference I tried a
Mains Cables R Us No.14 Mains
Lead on my amp last Dec.. Good build tight plugs, thick cable. What difference am I likely to hear? 5 months now.
I bought some Tellurium Black cables 2 weeks ago - heared the difference out of the box as I did with an NVA Super Sound Pipe.
At least I can save money on mains cables.
Best of luck if they give you deafening benefits.

A valid subjective finding.

I await your next instruction.

And more forced laughter/foghorn noises.

Ok Steven.

Consider the laughter done. But again Let me tell you that, reading your posts, there is no need for forced laughter old chap. It comes entirely unbidden.

As for my next instruction, please get your head out of your arse.

(ps I entirely expect you to run to teacher and report me so don't feel the need to be reticent, there's a good unicorn)

advertisement

Back