advertisement

How a Linn Sondek LP12 is built.

It may well be a myth for you, but there are sufficient reports of this phenomenon for it to to have some factual basis

From what I have heard from those "on the inside"....lp 12's fall into one of two categories

1. Like yours, these retain their setup

2. Many require constant resetting

Given that this information is given in good faith, this tells me that manufacture lacks quality control. If you are one of the lucky ones...great.

If not ...tough luck!

Laurie

The insiders weren't other turntable manufacturers were they?

Anyway if it's your 3rd party tittle tattle against the evidence of owners on here I know which I'll go with.

Mine's such a nuisance in the last 5 years I've replaced a belt and changed the oil!

The insiders weren't other turntable manufacturers were they?

Anyway if it's your 3rd party tittle tattle against the evidence of owners on here I know which I'll go with.

Mine's such a nuisance in the last 5 years I've replaced a belt and changed the oil!

No...I base my comments on bona fide owners of LP12`s...I resent, and take exception to your suggestion that they would be otherwise...why is it when I have posted some information that some may prefer didn`t exist, then the response is to cast aspersions on the validity of my comments, or otherwise try to undermine my integrity?

Sorry if you find the truth unpalatable...

laurie

WIth respect, you' ve a bit of a cheek presuming to pass comment on what I may or may not know. It is quite clear to me that you are substantially ignorant, and rude with it.....not a pleasant ( though all too common) combination

Laurie
Well, you keep on banging on about all these LP12s that according to you need constant adjustment. You've heard from genuine owners that this is not the case. You've failed to offer anything other than heresay to support your position. So who's being rude and ignorant exactly?

Mine did 16 years between setups when I didn't have the cash or need to upgrade any of it's components. In fact the only time it's ever been serviced has been to fit improvements albeit some of them were pretty minor (and inexpensive). I never had to pay for a 'service', the components were fitted free.

While a new one might seem expensive compared to others at the same performance level, how many decks would I have had to buy and sell over the last 30 years to still have one that's as good as they built in the factory yesterday?

The current deck is nowhere near as 'coloured' as the originals. Each improvement has made it more 'cd like' in many ways. The video was fun for me knowing how vinyl replay worked since I was probably 10 or 11 years old, but a revelation for my daughter who is just over half the age of my turntable but had no idea how it worked!

The hard to set up business is just because folk are too namby pamby these days to learn to do anything for themselves. When I first heard a LP12 the owner had removed the cartridge to dem a Rega 2 that a friend was buying before re installing it in the Linn so we could hear it too (he only had the one cartridge). It only took a few minutes to swap each way and re align it. The only reason I don't tinker with the set up on mine is that it simply doesn't need it.

From what I have heard from those "on the inside"....lp 12's fall into one of two categories

1. Like yours, these retain their setup

2. Many require constant resetting

Given that this information is given in good faith, this tells me that manufacture lacks quality control. If you are one of the lucky ones...great.

Linn made a lot of manufacturing improvements to the LP12 in the 80's. About the time the corner braced plinth was introduced they became very much more stable in setup and continued (over the years) improvements to the suspension springs have helped to reinforce this. These days (and for some twenty years now) an LP12 should (and in my first hand experience do) stay 'in tune' for a very long time. However, there are still a lot of old LP12's around that predate many of the improvements and they may well be more temperamental. Note, I do not personally use an LP12 so I'm not just saying this because I am an LP12 'fan' (I'm not particularly).

I would say that the problem isn't so much that LP12's go off, but more that a lot of dealers just aren't very good at setting them up in the first place; I could tell you some real horror stories..

I have to agree with wylton. The LP12 can go a long time if set up correctly. My beef with Linn is they say one thing and then go 180 degrees. Many years ago I asked at a Linn evening why the arm board was held to the sub chassis by a single screw and would a single piece be a better idea. I was politely told that the separate board and sub s was better. So I am now thinking that the laws of physics change in Glasgow.

I had to chuckle a bit when I saw the video. The sensor which ensures that the tt runs at the "correct speed". How does that work ? If it detects slow speeds and then gets the motor to run a bit faster then does it not overshoot and then needs to slow down then it undershoots so needs to...... Somebody correct me if I am wrong but have Linn not reinvented the direct drive ? (Which they used to love to take a pop at back in the day).

I have owned 2 sondeks over the years but having heard the current top spec LP12, I'm more than happy to use a Rega. Linn should be doing so much better. Perhaps they need to admit that the design is now out of date.

Had an LP12/Cirkus/Lingo 1/IttokLVIII for about 20 years.

I have to say it's a neat and presentable looking design.

But, once you get past the bullshit, it is a fundamentally flawed concept to which a lot of 'fixes' have been added. It's a bit like Microsoft Windows in that respect.

It's not bad sounding, but I moved to a Gyro SE and am playing more vinyl than ever.

Mull

Well, you keep on banging on about all these LP12s that according to you need constant adjustment. You've heard from genuine owners that this is not the case. You've failed to offer anything other than heresay to support your position. So who's being rude and ignorant exactly?

You are, by attacking me rather than sticking to the issue...are you so shallow that you take criticism of something you happen to own, personally...it seems so...you are one of these folk that seem defined by what you own...a rather precarious state to be in

Laurie

You are, by attacking me rather than sticking to the issue...are you so shallow that you take criticism of something you happen to own, personally...it seems so...you are one of these folk that seem defined by what you own...a rather precarious state to be in

Laurie
The issue being, according to you, that LP12s require constant adjustment. Other than heresay you've offered no evidence of this, but lots of other folk who are LP12 owners have confirmed that this isn't the case. I'm attacking your view, not you, and if you cannot discern the difference I suggest you stop posting on forums. I couldn't give a fig if you don't like LP12s, but at least get your facts right before posting.

The issue being, according to you, that LP12s require constant adjustment. Other than heresay you've offered no evidence of this, but lots of other folk who are LP12 owners have confirmed that this isn't the case. I'm attacking your view, not you, and if you cannot discern the difference I suggest you stop posting on forums. I couldn't give a fig if you don't like LP12s, but at least get your facts right before posting.

I am quite sure of my facts..Do you want me to reel off a list of my friends who have had the issues I alluded to?

I am quite clear that my position is correct, and I will leave my position there

I also take exception to your repeated suggestion that I stop posting

If you object to what I write, I suggest you stop reading, and responding to to my posts

Laurie

Good, let's hear from the people who've had these alleged problems then. How do you explain that no LP12 owners posting here have experienced the awful things you keep mentioning?

advertisement

Back