advertisement

Homelessness

There are a lot of large properties with only one or two old people living in them who are paying through the nose for the services the receive, which are ridiculously overpriced in the first place.

I really can't believe you think more taxes would be a good thing when we are already paying 20-45% income tax, 9/18% NI and 20% vat plus numerous other 'stealth taxes'
On that basis why pay any tax at all?
Taxes change behaviour. If you tax cars you decrease use. Tax alcohol, peoplr drink less. Tax housing, people buy smaller houses. If you really want to increase housing availability then taxing housing will do this. However people in the UK don't really want this to happen.

Not at all. In the motor industry the owners and management had been incredibly complacent and behind the times for years by the time the unions delivered the coup de grace

Of course you would know all about it no doubt having worked in the Car Factories or for that matter any other factory during the 70's 80's.

Unless you have, and at the time period that your comments are aimed at and you have actually experienced being forced to have your every movement controlled by the speed of the Track whilst carrying out repetitive monotonous physically hard work,( there was no computer controlled personal aided assistance in the 70's 80's) I would again respectfully suggest to you, that to put it politely you refrain making quotes about something you very obviously know absolutely nothing at all about

oldie

Is there a link between the British car industry of the 70s 80s and the homeless of today? Or did I miss something?

If so, my apologies for not keeping up.

Of course you would know all about it no doubt having worked in the Car Factories or for that matter any other factory during the 70's 80's.

Unless you have, and at the time period that your comments are aimed at and you have actually experienced being forced to have your every movement controlled by the speed of the Track whilst carrying out repetitive monotonous physically hard work,( there was no computer controlled personal aided assistance in the 70's 80's) I would again respectfully suggest to you, that to put it politely you refrain making quotes about something you very obviously know absolutely nothing at all about

oldie
Is that worse than a one sided view? I did work in factories in the 60's and 70's, and the workers were not exactly altruistic. Everyone wants the best for themselves, frequently at the expense of everyone else.
I wouldn't have commented if you hadn't made the above post. And I still don't agree that John Bloor built a completely new company, following the Japanese model, on the back of the workers' take over.

ABD
Of course it's a one sided view, because it's based on my own personal experiences, but my comments were aimed at those on here that base all of their comments not on actual experience but on heresy, Government mantra and the likes of the Tory press such as DM etc.
As regarding John Bloor, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Motorcycles_Ltd
Triumph Motor Bikes are still producing a product that according to Bikers that I used to know is a brilliant Bike that has no problems selling all they can produce
oldie

Whatever the size of the property only a very small percentage of the Council Tax is needed to empty bins and cut the grass.

Having visited City and County halls I can see where the bulk if it goes, giving their residents a nice life!

Exactly and its the same throughout. Public servants, especially councils of any sort, should have the most basic and economic office space available, out of town on industrial sites would be perfectly adequate. I really fail to see how they get away with squandering money on massive exotic building with fabulous facilities when the services they provide to the tax payer become more and more expensive and less and less effective.

I really fail to see how they get away with squandering money on massive exotic building with fabulous facilities when the services they provide to the tax payer become more and more expensive and less and less effective.

Can you point me at the underlined palaces?

Can you point me at the underlined palaces?

Yes. Ipswich council thought it a good idea to cut 35M out of its care budget and build this in 2014. The inside is even more elaborate with glass suspended walkways, the staff canteen is like Quaglinos with modern art, ponds and water features.

suffolk-county-council-offices-ipswich-E1E4M4.jpg

Went to meet a mate for lunch who is a psychotherapist. He helps to run two drug/alcohol centres for a charity and has his own practice.

The guy is knocking his drug centre work on the head, because the charity is now focused on people who can pay quite a lot of money. His attitude is they should raise funds to help alcoholics/addicts in poverty.

He has decided to try and get a job working with the homeless instead. He can't stand seeing how many people live on the streets in London.

I'll happily give money to an organisation like Crisis. As for all of the other charities, well ...

Jack

Hardly a palace - that's what modern buildings of that sort of purpose look like; and what did it replace? And I'd imagine that the council has had it's funding cut like all other councils over the last several years. "Public Services" have shrunk an awful lot over the last decade.

Hardly a palace - that's what modern buildings of that sort of purpose look like; and what did it replace? And I'd imagine that the council has had it's funding cut like all other councils over the last several years. "Public Services" have shrunk an awful lot over the last decade.
Also, with modern materials, building technologies, etc, I imagine that building might cost rather less to run than the estate it replaced, and may require less maintenance long-term, too.

Exactly and its the same throughout. Public servants, especially councils of any sort, should have the most basic and economic office space available, out of town on industrial sites would be perfectly adequate. I really fail to see how they get away with squandering money on massive exotic building with fabulous facilities when the services they provide to the tax payer become more and more expensive and less and less effective.
Sounds good on the face of it but, apart from Ipswich, how many other examples do you have from all the Local Authorities in England and Wales? Also, how much would it cost to build on some out of town industrial estate - and how would peole who need access to Council services access them - and what would be done to existing Council Offices which would probably be very difficult to sell, other than in the South East, a fact you London types fail to acknowledge.

what a wonderful story , fantastic

Makes me want to puke. Who are these people promoting particularly) middle class children as somehow being saintly for doing what thousands do silently for people who our taxes shoukd be helping?

So very “Daily Mail”. Those here and on Social Media should ask themselves some searching questions like “how would they feel if the homeless person was an immigrant and Muslim?

I don't see why the public need to access the town halls in this day as everything can be done on line / telephone or in the post.

I think the point is that the average working person has absolutely no choice but to pay thousands of pounds to an organisation that looks after itself foremostly with little accountability.

A postman for example works from a shed with no gym or canteen and his/ her pension has been reduced dramatically from the defined benefits that council staff receive. Yet such people have no choice but to pay a large proportion of their income to keep a privileged class of workers in the style they enjoy.

Makes me want to puke. Who are these people promoting particularly) middle class children as somehow being saintly for doing what thousands do silently for people who our taxes shoukd be helping?

So very “Daily Mail”. Those here and on Social Media should ask themselves some searching questions like “how would they feel if the homeless person was an immigrant and Muslim?
You have an ugly view of the world. A kid helps someone and you want to turn it to poison.

I don't see why the public need to access the town halls in this day as everything can be done on line / telephone or in the post.

I think the point is that the average working person has absolutely no choice but to pay thousands of pounds to an organisation that looks after itself foremostly with little accountability.

A postman for example works from a shed with no gym or canteen and his/ her pension has been reduced dramatically from the defined benefits that council staff receive. Yet such people have no choice but to pay a large proportion of their income to keep a privileged class of workers in the style they enjoy.

Bullshit of the purest kind.

Even if your massive assumptions about accountability held any water, you completely ignore the fact that Local Councils are REQUIRED (By central govt.) to deliver services, are expected to deliver more, with less etc., and are audited.

And of course extrapolating from a sample of one, where you don't seem to have any evidence that your sample of one even supports your argument, is not a good strategy.

advertisement

Back