advertisement

Has N. Korea pushed their luck too far now?

So why has China agreed to increased sanctions? Could it be they're also concerned about the progress NK has made to date?

Did they not agree to the further UN sanctions? Their only concern is being embarrassed in having to take more direct action. But be in no doubt, China will not allow any serious destabilisation by North Korea.

Yes he does - and if he ceases to do, he will disappear.

China–North Korea relations have declined markedly over the past few years and despite many attempts to curtail the nuclear development Kim has blatantly refused.

North Korea was warned not to go past the “point of no return” with another nuclear test by China, last April and gave China the two fingers.

An editorial in the Global Times, regarded as a mouthpiece for the ruling Communist Party, said Beijing was hoping for a peaceful outcome but had “very limited influence on the entire situation”

DGi_I3o_Xk_AAboi2.jpg

https://twitter.com/Aiannucci

China–North Korea relations have declined markedly over the past few years and despite many attempts to curtail the nuclear development Kim has blatantly refused.

North Korea was warned not to go past the “point of no return” with another nuclear test by China, last April and gave China the two fingers.

An editorial in the Global Times, regarded as a mouthpiece for the ruling Communist Party, said Beijing was hoping for a peaceful outcome but had “very limited influence on the entire situation”

North Korea could not exist without trade with China. If push really comes to shove China will just oust Kim and take over and the West would breathe more easily and raise no real objection because we have supported regime change on many occasions.

I'm really tired of the words coming from Trumps mouth now, some off it was funny, but now threatening a country and it's people with nuclear annihilation from a golf resort he's gone to far.

I feel he's willing to do anything to save his ass from the Russian collusion investigation, going to war is a perfect way to distract attention away from him and his cronies acts of treason. Just writing the sentence above seem like total nonsense, but i feel he has no grasp on reality whatsoever outside his own immediate bubble, or bunker.

Completely agree with you.

Jack

North Korea could not exist without trade with China. If push really comes to shove China will just oust Kim and take over and the West would breathe more easily and raise no real objection because we have supported regime change on many occasions.

Yes they are dependent on China for trade, but like a child who is totally dependent on it's parents does not mean the child obeys every single command they make, very often the child will take pleasure in not obeying. China will not do anything to de-stabilise North Korea as it does not want to be faced with millions of starving refugees which would happen if Kim lost control. The last thing China wants to do is take over N Korea and deal with all the problems it faces.

You really need to do some background reading.

Yes they are dependent on China for trade, but like a child who is totally dependent on it's parents does not mean the child obeys every single command they make, very often the child will take pleasure in not obeying. China will not do anything to de-stabilise North Korea as it does not want to be faced with millions of starving refugees which would happen if Kim lost control. The last thing China wants to do is take over N Korea and deal with all the problems it faces.

You really need to do some background reading.
China could put any government it wanted in North Korea and it would cost nothing more than they already contribute. There would be no refugees because the country would continue to run its economy as it does now - effectively by subsidy. Also regime change would allow North Korea to have access to far wider markets than now.

So what do recommend I read?

The fall of NK could lead to a unified Korea, under the control of Seoul - the very last thing that China wants on its border.

From 1950 onwards, China has supported NK to balance US influence in AP. Unfortunately, they have created a state that no longer considers itself a mere client.

Supporting new UN sanctions was a positive first move by China, but actually implementing those sanctions would be even more encouraging.

For the record, and despite Japan's many war crimes during WWII, I wish the US had dropped the first atomic bomb some safe distance out to sea, but in full view from Tokyo bay. No idea if this would have resulted in an immediate surrender though.

The fall of NK could lead to a unified Korea, under the control of Seoul - the very last thing that China wants on its border.

North Korea would not "fall" and there would be no immediate, or any, possibility of a unified Korea unless China wished it. I do not see why you think China would give a damn either way - Korea is very small fry unified or not.

North Korea would not "fall" and there would be no immediate, or any, possibility of a unified Korea unless China wished it. I do not see why you think China would give a damn either way - Korea is very small fry unified or not.

China shares an 880-mile border with NK. They have a 56-year-old defense treaty. China accounts for over 90 percent of North Korea’s trade.

If NK were to become a failed state, 25 million North Koreans would have only two choices: flee to China, or ask the South for assistance. China will not welcome NK refugees, and the price of assistance from SK would be a Seoul-led reunification.

China is flexing its muscles in AP. Have you see what they are doing in the South China Sea? Do you really think they want to see a US military presence right on their border?

Or, as historians have mooted, the dropping of the bomb was probably partially due to the Russians invading Japanese (held) territory, which is to say the message was intended as much for the Russians as the Japanese.

It was the opening shot of the Cold War.

China shares an 880-mile border with NK. They have a 56-year-old defense treaty. China accounts for over 90 percent of North Korea’s trade.

If NK were to become a failed state, 25 million North Koreans would have only two choices: flee to China, or ask the South for assistance. China will not welcome NK refugees, and the price of assistance from SK would be a Seoul-led reunification.

China is flexing its muscles in AP. Have you see what they are doing in the South China Sea? Do you really think they want to see a US military presence right on their border?

This.

I wouldn't mistake China's more professional and less inflammatory diplomatic rhetoric for not giving a damn. Compared to the spoilt toddler in the White House, Comical Ali would look measured.

advertisement

Back