1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Has N. Korea pushed their luck too far now?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by thebiglebowski, Jun 19, 2017.

1. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Otto Warmbier has passed away after being in a coma for 12 months of 15 months into a 15 year hard labour sentence for allegedly stealing a propaganda sign.

Is this the trump card the US needs to start a conflict with NK?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40335169

2. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

No fear: we're reliably informed that Trump is not a neo-con warmonger, unlike Killary.

3. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Let's hope one tragic death doesn't turn into tens of thousands.

4. Hook

Hook pfm Member

Will be interesting to see if the autopsy results will confirm NK's version of the story (botulism plus sleeping pill).

5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

This is a tragedy for the family and his friends- they finally get their son back but he's near dead. No doubt it was expedient to hand him over rather than have him die while still inside N.K. People die in police custody in the U.S and elsewhere due to negligent or criminal action by those detaining them but N.K has a filthy track record of abuses against their own citizens. Tyrannies like this eventually implode- with a little assistance, that will be the best outcome.

6. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

Yeah. Working well for Syria ATM.

7. richgilb

richgilb I voted out lol....

I have read that the little fatty has doppelgangers and rotates his living quarters because he fears US drone strikes and inside jobs.

8. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

They could probably do without the "assistance" -as could have most Iraqis I would imagine.

Not that I am supporting either of the Baathist regimes - just that I don't support foreign interference in those Countries. IMHO that was and is being done for all the wrong reasons.

9. maxflinn

maxflinn Always Trying To Be Logical

The Washington Post, CNN and Fox News all reporting as fact that the North Koreans have minitiarised nuclear warheads which can be fitted to their new ICBM's.

So like Saddam's WMD nonsense.

Trump threatening them too.

This is not looking good..

EDIT: The Japanese are saying they've got these nuclear warheads too, so maybe it's not fake news..

10. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Oh good, I was worried until then.

11. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

I see a huge number of reports that KCNA has made this statement but cannot seem to get the usual link anywhere to that wonderful announcer with the strident voice.

Has anyone got that yet?

12. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

What would North Korea gain from a ICBM or nuclear strike against the US, South Korea or ANother? They would be obliterated by a war against another Super Power and it seems Russia, China and the US have all had enough.

13. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

A credible threat of being able to do so has more leverage than actually carrying out the act.

14. tones

tones Tones deaf

Spot on. No matter how bananas the North Korean leadership appears, it does not intend to commit suicide. It fears the collapse of the regime (and the privileged lifestyle that comes with it for the upper cadres), so waving the nuclear stick both (hopefully) wards off potential regime changers and unites the population against a thoroughly-demonised Evil Empire and away from their own miserable existences.

15. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

We must not forget that for Kim, the reason he is 'targeting' and 'hating' the US is actually domestic. In order to cling on to power young kimmy has to tell all his people that there is this great baddy out there, who is out to get them. Consequently everyone rallies to defeat this 'baddy'. Of course they are ill-equipped to know who the real baddy is.

It is simple really - find a common enemy and everyone will stay on side.

16. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

And it is exactly the same for the wigged Wotsit.

17. Still

Still gyldengourd

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    This means more re-runs of M*A*S*H, doesn't it?

18. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

"speak softly and carry a big stick"

or in Trump terms

"tweet like a a twat and have bigly bombs"

19. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Trump's not a warmonger though, so it'll be fine.

20. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Except that Kim has the whole place on his side anyway 100%. This is something different. This is about prestige and influence.