advertisement

Google Chromecast Audio.

So several hours later...

i set up the CCA with my phone using Google Home App tried and tried. Eventually found that the yellow TRS cable with an optical convertor was not working, slipped in a new cable and bingo.

So back to the PC, nowt,reboot and reset everything, still nowt.

Found another Google help page, " ensure the PC is on the same frequency as the CCA"
but I have set it on 2.4Ghz as per.

Step 3: Make sure the Chromecast device is using the 2.4 GHz band
It is compatible with both 2.4 GHz WiFi 802.11 b/g/n WiFi networks and 5 GHz networks, so you will see both when setting up the device. If you have a dual band router, you must disable AP isolation. Other devices such as your laptop/computer can use the 5 GHz band; the 5 GHz band will maximize performance when casting a tab.

So now it works :eek: though it is a very poor second to the Aries Mini in the main system, probably due to the 'signal' of phone or PC. through the MDAC.

Smart ? Hi-Fi ? Hmmmmm.

So now it works :eek: though it is a very poor second to the Aries Mini in the main system, probably due to the 'signal' of phone or PC. through the MDAC.

So you are playing the music from the phone to the Chromecast Audio driving a MDAC, and comparing it to the Aries Mini. What is the source of the music? What software on PC and phone? Are the levels equal?

Having wasted the best part of a day getting the sod working I care not.

If anyone wants a discussion as to whether the Dac in a CCA is as good as an MDAC with a 5 rail PSU, count me out.

Having wasted the best part of a day getting the sod working I care not.

If anyone wants a discussion as to whether the Dac in a CCA is as good as an MDAC with a 5 rail PSU, count me out.

Fine. It's just that you stated an opinion, and I wanted to understand the circumstances that led to it.

You seem to assume that having a 5 rail PSU somehow ensures a DAC is better.

You seem to assume that having a 5 rail PSU somehow ensures a DAC is better.

No it is considerably better, but only when implemented correctly.

That is not only my opinion.

Sam Cat and SQ also confirm this, though neither of us have required a double blind level matched test as the improvement is so obvious.

Well if the original PSU for the MDAC was so good then why is the designer John Westlake bothering to design a new supply for it. :)

Well if the original PSU for the MDAC was so good then why is the designer John Westlake bothering to design a new supply for it. :)

Well if the original <pick your favourite car> was so good then why are car manufacturers bringing out new models every year?

I've just been listening to Radio Paradise cast from my tablet to my system via Chromecast Audio. The tablet, being old, froze, but RP carried on playing. I powered off the tablet, and RP carried on playing. How does that work? Does CC cache stuff?

It's not going through the tablet. You start it off from the tablet, but all you're doing is telling the CC to connect to RP over the interweb via your router. Once it's started doing that, CC and RP are connected and will carry on until you issue another command from the tablet to disconnect them, or you unplug/reset either device.

It's not going through the tablet. You start it off from the tablet, but all you're doing is telling the CC to connect to RP over the interweb via your router. Once it's started doing that, CC and RP are connected and will carry on until you issue another command from the tablet to disconnect them, or you unplug/reset either device.

ks.234

As formby says, the CC itself is doing the streaming - or rather a "user-interface-less" version of the app that is now running within CC, the tablet is a remote control.

However, there does seem to be some form of communication from the CC back to the remote controller, although it may be app dependent. If you wander away with the remote control device the CC will usually stop streaming after a time. This is why I specifically got a small cheap tablet that I could leave room as a remote control, so that the streaming wouldn't stop for others if I wandered off with my phone.

Two things with the CC you need a decent dac and if you are really serious about digital reproduction and it is your primary source look elsewhere it cost 30 quid for god's sake!

If like me however you will use it for trying out new music on Tidal etc or for iRadio and you have a decent dac then it is hard to fault.

Is anyone streaming music from their NAS to chromecast audio via iPhone?
If so please can you advise appropriate NAS and app to do this please?

Cheers

Is anyone streaming music from their NAS to chromecast audio via iPhone?
If so please can you advise appropriate NAS and app to do this please?

Cheers

I use Musicstreamer on my iPhone to link my NAS to the Chromecast. I find it intuitive and reliable.

It's been happy to hook up with my; WD MyCloud, a Qnap and a old ReadyNAS. That's always suggested to me that it is a complete slut when it comes to partnering.

That application may not play directly from your NAS but instead send all the audio via the phone. So it doubles the WiFi bandwidth needed for a start. This may be fine if you have a fast phone and good WiFi.

Ideally you want something that will enable the Chromecast to play directly from the NAS.

That application may not play directly from your NAS but instead send all the audio via the phone. So it doubles the WiFi bandwidth needed for a start. This may be fine if you have a fast phone and good WiFi.

Ideally you want something that will enable the Chromecast to play directly from the NAS.

Are you sure? My understanding is that it; compiles an index of your music, allows you to search within that index, introduces the CCA to the NAS and lets them get on with it.

Are you sure? My understanding is that it; compiles an index of your music, allows you to search within that index, introduces the CCA to the NAS and lets them get on with it.

Easy to test, get it streaming then disconnect your phone from the wifi and see if it continues to stream.
If so I will go this route.

Cheers
Curtis

Easy to test, get it streaming then disconnect your phone from the wifi and see if it continues to stream.
If so I will go this route.

Cheers
Curtis
Tried this and it does stream independently of the wifi connection. That said it is a very fast connection so the CCA could be cacheing the whole track.

That's exactly how it works. The only time the Chromecast will stream from the phone is when the content is stored locally on the phone.

That's exactly how it works. The only time the Chromecast will stream from the phone is when the content is stored locally on the phone.

That's useful to know, I hadn't managed to find an iOS App that allowed that when I tried previously, although that was quite a while ago.

advertisement

Back