1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Chromecast Audio.

Discussion in 'audio' started by Natara, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Natara

Natara pfm Member

I have spent many frustrating hours trying to configure a Raspberry Pi to my needs and so have decided to add Google CC as a temporary measure. It will be connected up to my Chord 2Qute via optical cable and will be used predominantly to stream Tidal and Internet Radio via iPhone or iPad.

Any tips will be gratefully received and also anyones views (if you believe in such things) on fancy cables and also if anyone has used an alternative psu to the one provided.

I understand it can handle the lossless streams from Tidal but not anything higher so is it able to handle any higher res streams and can a usb hard drive be accomodated via a Macbook say?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Tw99

Tw99 source last

My advice would be to just plug it in and enjoy... Streaming from a local source to a CC seems to be trickier in an Apple environment than with Android, but I'm sure there's a way of doing it.

3. halvis

halvis pfm Member

You just need the Google Home app from the Apple App Store to work with Apple iOS devices.

Best PSU is probably a battery, i.e. a portable mobile phone charger type with plenty of capacity. Although, I didn't hear any difference when hooking mine up with one.

No experience with Macbooks.

4. toozeup

toozeup pfm Member

5. toozeup

toozeup pfm Member

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Mine just works. After a few false starts and trying to be clever, I have found something that is just plug and play. For £20.

7. silviffer

silviffer Active Member

Absolutely amazing piece of kit for the money but I do find that mine occasionally needs to be reset if not used for a few days. Also has a tendancy to stop responding to my android tablet if it's been playing Spotify for a couple of hours. Maybe this is more a Spotify quirk ?

8. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

9. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

What are you trying to do with your Pi?

10. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Nothing now I've sold it on.

11. Natara

Natara pfm Member

That is exactly what I was going to do I have quit a decent one that holds plenty of charge and already have an 'average' optical cable so sounds like I'm good to go.

12. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

That's a shame. Did you ask for help on here?

Ronnie

13. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Yes on here and other sites I found myself writing comands on terminal to ssh and getting answers like cannot connect to port 22 and my 47 years started to drain away in front of me.

14. Julf

So your network was badly configured?

15. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Do realise that all these 'powerbanks' use one Li-ion cell, and an internal and not particularly quiet step-up smps board to create 5v from 3.7-4v input. No different at all in the wider view to using the supplied smps adaptor (which I found actually pretty good on tear-down and measurement.) That said, no mains smps means no possible injection of common-mode noise, which unfortunately cheap smps wallwarts can be terrible for.

16. Natara

Natara pfm Member

If it was I didn't realise until that point.
    Go to terminal and type in pi@ ip address password: Raspberry at which point it would always say cannot connect to port 22 or something along those lines.
    It is of no interest to me now as I do not have a Pi.
    I was looking for a temporary streaming solution as I traded a Naim streamer & Naim power amp for a better Naim power amp. I retained the 2Qute dac and so until I could afford a better solution I thought the Pi could be a 'cheap' temporary solution. I have now bought a Chromecast and hopefully it will fulfil that roll for me.

17. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

Well, if you start off wrong, where can you go?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/linux/usage/users.md

but what where you trying to do?

I thought that 42 was the answer to life and stuff?

Oh, sorry, this is now "of no interest to me"

keep going

ronnie :)

18. Julf

Ah. I guess you didn't enable ssh.

"As of the November 2016 release, Raspbian has the SSH server disabled by default."

"For headless setup, SSH can be enabled by placing a file named ssh, without any extension, onto the boot partition of the SD card. When the Pi boots, it looks for the ssh file. If it is found, SSH is enabled, and the file is deleted. The content of the file does not matter: it could contain text, or nothing at all."

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/ssh/README.md

I know you have given up on RPi, but I want to leave this here for others who stumble on the same issue.

19. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

I gave up on it as well. it was frustrating to have to get a screen/keyboard out every few days to sort it. I am a novice, so I accept that it can be done, but a cable solved all problems.

20. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

That is exactly why the Pi would be useless for me - it is for the hobbyist.