advertisement

Environmental effects of EV`s

12.6 C to be factually correct.

Try working outside as many do, 12.6 C is balmy.

The average temperature in Ukraine where fighters are currently outside for 10/12 hours per day is 4 C, on Sunday the daytime temp. is -1 with -2 C at night.

As for hospitals having a higher survival rate at 24.4 C, our planet has considerably more people at stake.

I had my usual 2/3 layers on and returned to my living room at 12.6 C. (FACT)

It's this kind of thinking , along with inadequate background ('trickle') ventilation ('omg! a draught!) - that leads to the 'OMG! Condensation! Mould! headlines over the last year.

Housing for the nasty saline bags that humans are, that offgas 1/4 their metabolic heat (~110w for sedentary adult) via merely breathing as latent-heat borne as water vapour at a rate of around 30w/ and 35degC, needs both (i) sufficient background vent - which is very modest - and (ii) the room air temp heat to c 15degC, min, to solve the problem.

That is an incredibly modest thing to achieve, that any home can - yet, the idiots living inside cannot. Coop -up, burn candles, run the gas hob with windows closed...

Make it c.16degC and so much of that goes away (cf: the psychrometric chart thingummy I've posted before)

ETA: not a dig @misterdog; & realise I might take sh*t for this in a wider sense -but happy to take it up in a sep thread.

Last edited:
It's this kind of thinking , along with inadequate background ('trickle') ventilation ('omg! a draught!) - that leads to the 'OMG! Condensation! Mould! headlines over the last year.

When man-kind lived in caves and hunted woolly mammoths to survive, how much of an issue was mould or even moss growing in our caves ?

Did man-kind cease to exist because of mould /condensation issues ?

It's only become an issue because legal professionals can 'produce' compensation from such. (read evil capitalist profit motivated landlords, though council tennants also put such claims in)

Insulate Britain would have us believe that insulating our homes, either internally or externally will solve the problems of civilisation.
The reality is that all we are doing is moving the dew point (condensation/mould formation) to a different area.
Internal insulation causes mould formation behind the insulation. rather than on the face of the uninsulated walls where it is visible.

The mould still produces spores behind the insulation where it could be problematic unless the room is 'air tight'.

The reason that 'victorian' style homes are less susceptible to such issues is that they were designed to work with coal fired chimney 'storage heaters' which also with their 225mm chimney flues also acted as extractors for all the humidity.

12.6 C to be factually correct.

Try working outside as many do, 12.6 C is balmy.

The average temperature in Ukraine where fighters are currently outside for 10/12 hours per day is 4 C, on Sunday the daytime temp. is -1 with -2 C at night.

As for hospitals having a higher survival rate at 24.4 C, our planet has considerably more people at stake.
I have worked outdoors. I've worked in food factories that are maintained at 10 de g C. You need a coat, it's not comfortable and pens tend to stop writing. As for what's happening in Ukraine, there happens to be a war on there. The UK is not currently at war.

If you want to live in an unheated cave, be my guest, but if you want to kill sick people in hospitals then I won't allow that to happen.

if you want to kill sick people in hospitals then I won't allow that to happen.

So keeping the 2 % (guesstimate) alive for 5 (another) years longer is better than saving the lives of the planet 7.9 billion (FACT) and all the other species on it.
By keeping our hospitals overheated using billions/trillions of tons of fossil fuels.

Because we deserve it.

Interesting philosophy.

Given that you work in the food industry how are you proposing that we feed the extra 70 million extra people on the planet (from last year) (FACT) and the next.?

The UK alone increased by some 700,000 people (non-fact) bigger than the city of Sheffield.
How many extra acres (hectares) of farmland, and how many additional food processing factories are required just to fulfil the food requirements of last years population growth ?

The six million dollar question being, what is the carbon footprint of providing this.
Is it sustainable year on year ?

@misterdog

Perhaps suggest a few selective of your solutions of themes in-thread first, for once.; make some positive suggestions for ways forward, rather than picking selective holes.

BTW - The UK is barely 11% developed, by land area.

Less focus on profit and capitalism, more focus on kindness to each other and the planet we all live on.

Though capitalism and the me ,me, me I want more, because I deserve better, has existed since before Stonehenge was built.

Or heat pumps and solar panels because science has all the answers.

I heard a theory the other day that suggested 'cloaking the sun' would limit global warming.

How I laughed.

Did anyone notice how COP out 28 the other day refrained from the use of the term - phase out fossil fuel use, to 'transition away from'.

OPEC and the countries wedded to income from fossil fuels are never going to agree to stop profiting from it, certainly not Mr Putin and his buddies.

Well in my book there is a better chance of a good education via a public school, than getting into Government via a trade union, with little or no qualifications...
You Tories are snobs, and, as ever, wrong. If the supposedly well educated can trash a country and they have more than once, then give me oiks every day of the week...

Boris Johnson? Liz Truss? A fat lot of good their education did them. The two worst PMs in history.

I thought Tony Blair held that mantle for agreeing to invade Iraq or has he been forgiven since his conversion to Catholicism.

Or Mrs Thatcher, though since Sir Kier Starmer praised her, maybe not.

Or Winston Churchill.

But mention his views on race or his colonial policies, and you’ll be instantly drowned in ferocious and orchestrated vitriol.

Or the PM's who presided over slavery during the colonial period.

Plenty to choose from.

So keeping the 2 % (guesstimate) alive for 5 (another) years longer is better than saving the lives of the planet 7.9 billion (FACT) and all the other species on it.
By keeping our hospitals overheated using billions/trillions of tons of fossil fuels.

Because we deserve it.

Interesting philosophy.

Given that you work in the food industry how are you proposing that we feed the extra 70 million extra people on the planet (from last year) (FACT) and the next.?

The UK alone increased by some 700,000 people (non-fact) bigger than the city of Sheffield.
How many extra acres (hectares) of farmland, and how many additional food processing factories are required just to fulfil the food requirements of last years population growth ?

The six million dollar question being, what is the carbon footprint of providing this.
Is it sustainable year on year ?
Either you are a massive troll or need help. I have my central heating set to 21c for 16 hours a day - of course the boiler is not working for that long since it only comes on intermittently to maintain the temperature. How many people am I killing as a result?

You Tories are snobs

Though you non Tories are correct ?

In your opinion.

Is Putin a Fascist or a Communist?

modern 'opinion' seems a little clouded to me.

I thought he was a Communist during his 20 years as a KGB officer, though now he seems to be derided as a Fascist.

Social media seems to be absolute in their 'knowledge' but I remain confused.

Either you are a massive troll or need help. I have my central heating set to 21c for 16 hours a day - of course the boiler is not working for that long since it only comes on intermittently to maintain the temperature. How many people am I killing as a result?

20 million Lemmings at a guess.

I hope that helps.

advertisement

Back