advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

Nice Kenni!

Robby, I can email the drawings I did for them if you feel the urge at any point? they were £379 delivered with a box of filler included.

The combination of the IC-5 interconnect and LS-25 strikes me as very special. I know I should maybe write about it but I hate doing so, and anyway I'm biased (Col is a dear friend).

What I will say is the IC-5 plus LS-5 sounds to me to be better than than the sum of their parts. The 'HiFi' stuff is probably beyond reproach but my gob is continually smacked by the soundstage going on here, and the apparent ease the amplfier has energizing the room now. Doesn't happen with either cable in isolation.

I don't want to stop listening now, I've never enjoyed music so much. There is a verve, a sense of speed and richness to all the detail that takes me to the live venue with a drink or two already consumed.

I can't wait for them to appear for sale, so I can get my own sets.

Nice Kenni!

Robby, I can email the drawings I did for them if you feel the urge at any point? they were £379 delivered with a box of filler included.

Thanks for the offer. I am happy with the Atcamas for now. The price they charged is very good for bespoke stands. Have you noticed any difference in sound?

So how much are these new ic ?

I'm not sure yet but I suspect fairly eye-watering (by my experience - I never bought Naim!). They appear very fiddly to construct and knowing Colin there's probably unusual materials involved.

Last I heard was somewhere around £400 a set, I'm already saving for mine.

This is how much Colin quoted me:
IC 5 come in pairs the 0.75M is £290.92 incl vat a pair
and the IC 5 1M pair are £450.00 incl Vat

£450 for an interconnect, I'll grant I've heard differences between some speaker cables but £450 interconnects is up there with blue paper and cable lifters.

My Mogami 2549 IC's cost me £20 per 1 metre pair.

CK, you mentioned your experiences with river cable 8. What was it like compared to EWA LS-25. Was it still a little harsh on the highs compared to EWA ?

No worries, IMHO, VOVOX Vocalis came across forced and a little harsh and the lower notes slightly contrived in comparison to the LS-25s.

I received my LS-25 today, first impressions are good. It appears to potentially behave like a transparent cable based on my memory of what a direct connection/no cable sounds like. Of course i will have to do a heavy bench test to confirm this and just for kicks, retest all the other cables on hand. What i can tell based on my initial experience is that the overall noise floor is shockingly low and i am not the only one who has used that description with these cables. I was not sure what was ment when i read these things but i sense what it is, is that the high frequency extension is retained but with an overall lower harshness that seems to accompany many cables i have tried. Very interesting!.

Now the high end is about the biggest difference i have heard. The mid range and low end are similar to that of other standard cables i have tried, including a standard 12awg ZIP cord. However it does seem tighter in the bass and the mids are somewhat more balanced between the rest of the bandwidth. But again something i must rigorously test against a direct connection/zero cable.

Overall based on many cables i have tested so far, this one appears to have the best shot at being the most transpatent to date. I do have some worries however. The initial lower noise floor i encountered also came with an aparent perceived lower volume. I think this may be connected with the lowered high frequency harshness. Which may present a lower perceived volume level. Also i do question the low frequency a little in which it comes across a little soft. But this could be attributed to the added tightness that comes with the cables and changes again the percieved level of volume.

I have high hopes but my final conclusion will not come until i have spent a few days just listening to it, then i will proceed with the bench tests that will take again another few days as i have to move a lot of heavy equipment to setup for the testing process.

I do have some worries however. The initial lower noise floor i encountered also came with an aparent perceived lower volume.

Good to read your initial reports, and will be interested to read your final thoughts. One comment that stood out is that above, as i found the LS-25's to have a higher volume level than the TQ blacks they replaced.

One thing i found across the board was I didn't need to have the volume to be up to high levels to enjoy the music, which i found with the TQ's.

Good to read your initial reports, and will be interested to read your final thoughts. One comment that stood out is that above, as i found the LS-25's to have a higher volume level than the TQ blacks they replaced.

One thing i found across the board was I didn't need to have the volume to be up to high levels to enjoy the music, which i found with the TQ's.

Yes this could be heavily attributed from the cable i previously had in place. This is why i compare all my cables to a reference.

advertisement

Back