advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

I've been helping this thread to keep it going primarily because, I'm waiting for someone to try the LS-25 and not like it and give their reasons why.

It was only last week I chucked my touchstone at the system to see whether my ears were playing some sort of confirmation trick on me. Gong's "You" is one album I know sounds completely different on different systems, some cosset it others, merely fall apart in the face of its' densely packed yet almost infinitely nuanced soundscape. Most throw a decent approximation of the mix at you, they nearly all tend to emphasise, the sax, the guitar, the synths, whatever at the expense of the rest of the mix.

Listening with the LS-25 my first thought post lifting the stylus was, "Chuff me, Howlett's Bass guitar has some real thunder and attack in it I had never noticed before". Furthermore, it was achieved without it ruining the rest of the music's cohesion.

If someone tries the LS-25 and hates it, fine, then please do post why on here. However, please can we drop the whole "Tall Poppy" syndrome which seems to infect the world of Hifi as a whole.

On that note, can someone please try it with NS1000s? I am dying to hear their thoughts on the combination.

If someone tries the LS-25 and hates it, fine, then please do post why on here. However, please can we drop the whole "Tall Poppy" syndrome which seems to infect the world of Hifi as a whole.

I am all for this thread, if i was not then i would not have ordered one. What i am not for is the careless use of words from CK which he constantly gets in trouble for. He is pushing way too hard for a product he owns. Just let others speak and keep the ball rolling.

I am hoping that my rigorous testing with the handful of cables i have on me, will be sufficient to quantify where exactly the LS-25 sits.

Ahh I forgot your words are sooooo much more important right, I see you have issues. Nuff said. No need to be patronising or condescending ... but I presume you can’t see this. Anyhow hope you enjoy them

I have recently bought a pair of these cables to feed the mid/hi input of my active speakers, to replace the NACA5, although this latter is retained at the moment for bass duties. Must say that the Elsdon LS-25 is significantly better that the NACA5.

I. Probably would not have bought the LS-25s without the 30 day trial period offered by Mark Grant.

I have not tried any other cables so do not know if others would offer superior performance but I am delighted with the performance improvement of the LS-25s. Will now have to save the pennies (??) to replace the bass cables.

Ha !
And there was me thinking active speakers did not need external speakercables :p
Guess you live and you learn

I got two sets of IC-25 interconnects just recently. Really nicely made and first impressions are really very good in my system. More of what the LS-25 does and then some, i think.

Very happy so far.

I got two sets of IC-25 interconnects just recently. Really nicely made and first impressions are really very good in my system. More of what the LS-25 does and then some, i think.

Very happy so far.

Oh come on Alan you can do better than that snippet :)

I had the LS-25 speaker cables on trial for a week or so but in the end decided to return them.
Compared with my NACA5 cables they have a lighter, airier presentation, bit more detail with a greater sense of space between musicians. Bass is clear and well defined. So very good overall.
However, I missed the extra body and substance of the Naim cable. In comparison the LS-25 lacked warmth I thought and was slightly lightweight.
It really depends on what balance of attributes are most important to you.

System is Naim 250DR into SL2s so maybe this combination favours the Naim cable, compared with other equipment.

I had the LS-25 speaker cables on trial for a week or so but in the end decided to return them.
Compared with my NACA5 cables they have a lighter, airier presentation, bit more detail with a greater sense of space between musicians. Bass is clear and well defined. So very good overall.
However, I missed the extra body and substance of the Naim cable. In comparison the LS-25 lacked warmth I thought and was slightly lightweight.

System is Naim 250DR into SL2s so maybe this combination favours the Naim cable, compared with other equipment.

This is similar to the effect i had from the kimber 8tc's. Bass was fine but it came accross thin.

that's the first negative I've heard for the LS-25s! I found they had more bass than anything else I've tried. (see post number #2 for my comparisons). I did however have to readdress the composition of the music as there's so much more info coming at'ya.

that's the first negative I've heard for the LS-25s! I found they had more bass than anything else I've tried. (see post number #2 for my comparisons). I did however have to readdress the composition of the music as there's so much more info coming at'ya.

It is normal. I read some people say silver diamond is amazing cable and other says they prefer what they had before after testing. Synergy and preference is everything.

Yes usually you run interconnect to active loudspeakers, I presume they are only semi-active.
Keith

No, not at all - surely you know this. Active operation only requires the crossover to exist before the power amp and (inevitably) a power amp for each drive unit. Having the crossovers and amplification built into the speakers is convenient but the more flexible solution is to have the electronics external - this is how Naim do it and Linn used to etc.

Personally I run my speakers semi-active but not in the sense that the active part is less than if it were built into the speaker. The bass drivers are fully actively driven in the true sense of the term ‘active’. The mid and treble are run passive but this is my choice, I could run the speakers entirely active if I so desired (and bought some more electronics).

"Lightweight" on body and substance is something I have experienced too with my standard TQB, even its clear advantages

Funny as that cable is perhaps very good in some combinations ranging to bad in others, perhaps not funny at all:rolleyes:

advertisement

Back