advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

Shirley the issue is best viewed as a whole, in that a cable is just one part of a larger circuit? Different audio systems (circuits) are going to respond uniquely to the addition of a new cable, sometimes to our pleasure and other times, not.

For instance, one of the claims made by EWA is their cable designs both reject and suppress common mode noise. If that is being effectively accomplished then one system may benefit hugely from this, while another might have different issues completely. Both systems would react differently to the cable.

Shirley the issue is best viewed as a whole, in that a cable is just one part of a larger circuit? Different audio systems (circuits) are going to respond uniquely to the addition of a new cable, sometimes to our pleasure and other times, not.

For instance, one of the claims made by EWA is their cable designs both reject and suppress common mode noise. If that is being effectively accomplished then one system may benefit hugely from this, while another might have different issues completely. Both systems would react differently to the cable.

Not necessarily. There would have to be a differential effect from specific transmission line characteristics. Meaning that devices in the circuit respond differently depending on the characteristic impedance. Which to me just does not seem likely. The common mode noise rejection however is another variable which may present differing results, but this is a isolated variable thats not relative to other interconnects.

I have recieved similar results using cables with different systems, the conclusions is the same. However if cables are compared with other cables then you introduce a unreliable variable which could change your 'opinion' of which is preferred with a specific system. This is why i am a advocate of direct connection comparisons. As comparing against cables only tells you that there are differences but do not tell you wether the differences you hear are technically better or worse. Because there is no reference.

I had the LS-25 speaker cables on trial for a week or so but in the end decided to return them.
Compared with my NACA5 cables they have a lighter, airier presentation, bit more detail with a greater sense of space between musicians. Bass is clear and well defined. So very good overall.
However, I missed the extra body and substance of the Naim cable. In comparison the LS-25 lacked warmth I thought and was slightly lightweight.
It really depends on what balance of attributes are most important to you.

System is Naim 250DR into SL2s so maybe this combination favours the Naim cable, compared with other equipment.

Did you try the Chord Epic Twin. Our experiences will not match due to different loudspeakers that's being used(I'm using Harbeth Super HL5 Plus). I have compared the NAC A5 and Chord Epic Twin extensively last year as I have both in my main and secondary system. The Chord Epic has the warmth and body of the NAC A5 but adds slight detail and refinement across the frequency spectrum. The NAC A5 sounds slightly crude in comparison. Not a night a day difference as both cables sound rather close, but the difference is noticeable enough to my ears.

Similarly I find your post interesting as this is the first experience of someone preferring the Naim NAC A5 over the much touted Elsdon Wonfor LS-25 cables. I am also using the Naim NAP 250 DR. Rest of the system is an NAC 282 and Hicap DR.

ryder, are you planning on trialling the LS-25s? Think I mentioned to you before; I personally found them much of an improvement of the Chord Epic.

Cereal Killer, I'm sure the LS-25 is stellar. I do not have any plans to trial the LS-25 as I do not have the budget for it at the moment. I still derive a lot of enjoyment from the current system, with the Chord Epic Twin, so there is little inclination to change anything in the system.

Perhaps next year's Christmas I'll keep these on the radar. I am pretty much done on the main bits. The LS-25 will come when I have the budget (and the itch).

Cheers.

Cereal Killer, I'm sure the LS-25 is stellar. I do not have any plans to trial the LS-25 as I do not have the budget for it at the moment. I still derive a lot of enjoyment from the current system, with the Chord Epic Twin, so there is little inclination to change anything in the system.

Perhaps next year's Christmas I'll keep these on the radar. I am pretty much done on the main bits. The LS-25 will come when I have the budget (and the itch).

Cheers.

Ryder, fwiw I replaced my Odyssey (same copper as Epic) with Witchhat N2 with good results

Did you try the Chord Epic Twin. Our experiences will not match due to different loudspeakers that's being used(I'm using Harbeth Super HL5 Plus). I have compared the NAC A5 and Chord Epic Twin extensively last year as I have both in my main and secondary system. The Chord Epic has the warmth and body of the NAC A5 but adds slight detail and refinement across the frequency spectrum. The NAC A5 sounds slightly crude in comparison. Not a night a day difference as both cables sound rather close, but the difference is noticeable enough to my ears.

Similarly I find your post interesting as this is the first experience of someone preferring the Naim NAC A5 over the much touted Elsdon Wonfor LS-25 cables. I am also using the Naim NAP 250 DR. Rest of the system is an NAC 282 and Hicap DR.

I haven't tried the Epic Twin but it may be worth a trial given your description. The LS-25 are certainly more refined than the NACA5 and deliver a quieter background but overall the lighter airier sound gave a slightly artificial quality to music in my system. (I'm also using a NAC 282 but with a SC rather than Hicap)

I have just ordered a pair plus jumpers,early Xmas prezzi to self.i will report back once I've had a good listen,I'm actually quite exited cheers Paul.

hi ck my system is arcam cd192 that really isn't used anymore as i replaced my cds11 with a vortexbox premium a couple of years ago and love it.magnum dynalab etude tuner teddy pardo pr 1 2x mb100 into pmc fact 8s the speaker cable is chord oddessy 4.the last tweak i made was townshend speaker bars under the facts. hoping for a similar improvement from the ls 25 cables, will report back in time cheers paul.

the last tweak i made was townshend speaker bars under the facts. hoping for a similar improvement from the ls 25 cables, will report back in time cheers paul.

Can you describe the improvement? I have podiums and I wonder if bars are doing similar job.

just more of everything really air/space around the instuments and vocals lower noisefloor,bigger soundstage also i did have a bit of a game with the facts in my room,a bit to much bass.luckily adjustable crossovers got me around that but placing the bars underneath tightened every thing up and allowed me turn the bass settings back up. whilst expensive i am more than happy and would not go back to my speakers directly on the wooden floor cheers,paul.

just more of everything really air/space around the instuments and vocals lower noisefloor,bigger soundstage also i did have a bit of a game with the facts in my room,a bit to much bass.luckily adjustable crossovers got me around that but placing the bars underneath tightened every thing up and allowed me turn the bass settings back up. whilst expensive i am more than happy and would not go back to my speakers directly on the wooden floor cheers,paul.

Thank you, so very similar to my podiums :)

I imagine so it was the podiums/platforms that max was demoing with fact 12s at whittlebury when i ordered the bars were a fair bit cheaper and more suited size wise to my situation money well spent though imho

I totally agree That the stand or base makes a considerable difference, got my custom built speaker stands built by Custom Design. They’re based on their SQ404 design with my own mods and tweaks. The SM100s sound so my more agile and the tonal quality has become more life like.

They’re 12mm steel base plates, 50x50mm columns, 6mm acoustic steel top plates and 545mm tall without spikes. There’s 2.1kg of CD filler I’m each leg 10 bags in total.

Last edited:
You are using the same plant for diffusion as me ;)

20171107_195845-918x1632_zps1eb4eurd.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back