advertisement

Ebay moans

For traders it used to be 3% with no cap, as of this month it is now 5% with no cap.

CJ

For traders it used to be 3% with no cap, as of this month it is now 5% with no cap.

CJ

Interesting , a dealer who wanted to take my goods as trade in was quoting Ebay sales at the lowest end less 10% sellers fees , greedy sod was profiteering by 7% straightaway then on the old rate .

Sold a scope today, guy in France bought it, I didn't intend to offer international postage, he wouldn't agree to cancel, the prick, cost me #25.

I had a similar issue when I sold a power supply on there recently... Specifically stated NO INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE and he bought it anyway!

He declined my request to cancel and lumped me with £40 seller fees... Eventually I sent it and it worked out in the end, but it's ridiculous eBay don't step in with these kinds of incidents after taking your money.

Just read an announcement lifting the final valuation fees to £75, from £40.

Get those valuables listed quickly .

I had a similar issue when I sold a power supply on there recently... Specifically stated NO INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE and he bought it anyway!

He declined my request to cancel and lumped me with £40 seller fees... Eventually I sent it and it worked out in the end, but it's ridiculous eBay don't step in with these kinds of incidents after taking your money.

I got my revenge, sold it off ebay, via the previous listing....

hoary carp, batman... ok 9th July deadline it is. After that, I'm done with selling on eBay I think. Hard to imagine the day would come, but it has. :(

ebay do not care about the small sellers like us, they care about the china based volume listers who pay massive fees and can carry on trading with 100's of negative feedbacks because they have 100,s of 1000,s of transactions a month, that is where they concentrate their efforts, they could not care less about small sellers and are trying their best to get rid of us all with stupid rules and stupidly high fees, then after the sale they take your trousers down with paypal!

even the ebay stalwart skip mcgrath has written a book about moving to amazon as he is pissed off with ebay, mind you amazon uk are even bigger robbers!

Ebay may aspire to be the next Amazon - however with the lack of trust they now enjoy and the high percentage of fakes on sale it is hard to see how they will achieve their goal. I only use them now to buy the occasional hard to find item and they are good for that. I guess Amazon have fakes too but ebay is riddled with them even amongst their trusted sellers.

Pinkfish members are a fair minded bunch and the feedback on ebay seems to be on a downward spiral - says it all really.

The £75 figure is the highest a private seller will be charged as a final value fee for selling on ebay.

CJ

The moans about the lack of support that ebay, and with them paypal, offer are perfectly justified, in that they do not follow through with the service that they claim to provide. I long ago gave up buying LPs desribed as NM only to find them G at best, with no possibility of coming back to the seller, who simply says that in his eyes it was NM.
That they have increased the maximum fee ceiling is a business decision, and one can't really criticise a business for trying to maximise profitability through price increases. They are possibly abusing a near monopoly position when it comes to auctions, but in the end their fee is less than amazon's marketplace fee (for individual listers). Of course, that said, plague on them...

A chap I know of always adds " discount available " on his Ebay ads , when asked by potential buyers how he says " buy from me privately " thus discounting sellers fees but more importantly the nasty enforced Paypal .

This means that if a buyer is definitely interested they will pursue the matter further & pay in a means that he wants , this also then weeds out the scammers & lowlife that lurk on Ebay like a plague .

Works all the time for serious buyers after quality gear .

A chap I know of always adds " discount available " on his Ebay ads , when asked by potential buyers how he says " buy from me privately " thus discounting sellers fees but more importantly the nasty enforced Paypal .

This means that if a buyer is definitely interested they will pursue the matter further & pay in a means that he wants , this also then weeds out the scammers & lowlife that lurk on Ebay like a plague .

Works all the time for serious buyers after quality gear .

That's an excellent idea. I try and do business outside ebay as much as possible, buying and selling. Most people are pleased to get away from fees, but it's not to everyone's approval.

Good idea yes but risky IMO. eBay will suspend your account and will end all your listings in a flash if they think you're up to something. Dealing outside of eBay is strictly against T&Cs, I personally wouldn't risk it.

advertisement

Back