advertisement

Ebay moans

Only if they find out... You're not explicitly saying so, only to interested parties so you'd hope they wouldn't do anything.

Other option of course is to sign up as a 'Business Seller' to which these increases don't apply - basically they just want ebay to turn into a one-click purchase online mall.

'Business Seller' is their made-up term and nothing legal - i.e. you don't have to BE a business to sign up as a 'Business Seller' although you do have to comply with eBays extra T&Cs concerning 'Business Sellers', offering refunds etc.

A chap I know of always adds " discount available " on his Ebay ads , when asked by potential buyers how he says " buy from me privately " thus discounting sellers fees but more importantly the nasty enforced Paypal .

This means that if a buyer is definitely interested they will pursue the matter further & pay in a means that he wants , this also then weeds out the scammers & lowlife that lurk on Ebay like a plague .

Works all the time for serious buyers after quality gear .

The biggest problem is the vast majority of potential buyers ask for a discount/sell outside of ebay by requesting it via ebays own messaging service !
As soon as the seller replies via the same method,it's then classed as "fee avoidance" and ebay treat that very seriously

As long as contact is made via personal email (business sellers have to display this) or by phone/text,then there's no problem and a deal can be struck

However,it seems the majority of buyers are wary of contacting sellers direct for fear of scams etc,even though the sellers may have a high feedback rating

Any of you chaps have a large rolling reserve on your paypal account ?

If you dont then count yourself lucky ! You've got it easy. :)

Good idea yes but risky IMO. eBay will suspend your account and will end all your listings in a flash if they think you're up to something. Dealing outside of eBay is strictly against T&Cs, I personally wouldn't risk it.

All of his dealing is done privately on the phone or via personal email to beat the Ebay police .

Yep they read messages. I had one warning in my early days when I was messaging someone about an item that had ended with no bidding.

I have to be careful now as its not worth losing my ebay account over one small collectable.

I play by their rules because ebay has been very good for me.

if you get a reputation for doing something wrong they'll be watching you. I once requested 'cash only/no paypal' in a listing and they pulled it - ever since then I can no longer get away with it. They seem to check every auction I place. Having said that I've made offers to sellers before via the ebay messaging system and never been pulled up for it.

if you get a reputation for doing something wrong they'll be watching you. I once requested 'cash only/no paypal' in a listing and they pulled it - ever since then I can no longer get away with it. They seem to check every auction I place. Having said that I've made offers to sellers before via the ebay messaging system and never been pulled up for it.

I'm pretty sure cash on collection and collection only is acceptable.

Payment via paypal and then personal collection means that you have no seller protection [sic] as there is no proof of delivery..

Any of you chaps have a large rolling reserve on your paypal account ?

If you dont then count yourself lucky ! You've got it easy. :)

Do they make you have a rolling reserve to cover charge backs etc?

That might be reasonable (as other merchant account provider types do that too) but PayPal have a bad reputation of never contesting such chargebacks (Google Checkout and others like Nochex claim that they are always looked into and often rejected on your behalf).

I think it should be traders on eBay who complain to OFT or whoever for forcing you to use their service that is a risk to your business, let alone it being against the Sales of Goods Act (for a third party who arranges the sale to also choose the payment method).

I'm pretty sure cash on collection and collection only is acceptable.

Payment via paypal and then personal collection means that you have no seller protection [sic] as there is no proof of delivery..

That's right. You don't have any cover whatsoever if you accept paypal for a cash on collection deal - it's a common scam for people to claim non receipt of the goods to get their money refunded by paypal.

Would it not work if ask them to sign for receipt of goods when they collect - print out the paypal notification email and then write in the 'receipt of goods in person, happy with goods' bit on it. It won't look too legal but would that not be enough for paypal?

We are all aware that feePay have increased their 10% final value limit to £75 for a private sale...arn't we :-s

eBay has also started limiting the post price your can enter, based on what it thinks the maximum is.

I recently advertised a telephone on there, and was able to weigh it exactly, and look at the exact Royal Mail Special Delivery cost that I would pay at the post office counter, but eBay would not let me put that in the auction ad.

Hi,

I sent a little but vintage Naim 120 to a buyer.

I didn't send it tracked, the buyer claimed I had not sent it or he had not received it.

Since I couldn't prove it either way Ebay gave him his money back from my account.

Slightly irriatating to think he may have got my amp and his money as well.

Never send anything not tracked.

That's a harsh way to learn a lesson right there, sorry to hear of your bad luck!

Personally, I sent everything worth over £15-20 with tracking. I've had my fair share of false item not received complaints (one of them was stupid enough to post a video of him unwrapping and reviewing the item on his youtube account!)

^^Amazingly, even with that evidence eBay would not stop his case unless I provided a tracking number... Thankfully, with a threat of legal action he buckled and closed the dispute (giving me back the money).

I got in touch with other people he had traded with on eBay account who had similar experiences... To this day he's still active on there (and shilling with another account).

I'm just an ordinary member of the public i.e. neither a trader nor someone who buys from e-bay more than only occasionally, but even so I've had problems with both e-bay and sellers. One example is when I won one auction for a pair of speaker stands that had no reserve price, the seller then informed me my winning bid wasn't enough and he would not honour the sale. Despite complaining to e-bay about the situation nothing was done about it as far as I know. Not confidence inspiring!

I now only buy off e-bay if either 1) someone I know can vouch that the seller can be trusted, or 2) I can arrange to check and collect the goods in person and pay cash at that time; otherwise its no sale/purchase thank you very much.

At least I've never been ripped-off so far (and lets hope it stays that way).

I think when it comes to ebay disputes you have to push and push and push some more.

I bought a couple of LP´s from a US seller recently. It turned into such a monumental farce with the seller proving to be quite a dishonest s--t and abusive too that I have been meaning to post the full story on here and may still do it one day. Anyway..the problem concerned one of the LP´s. I asked him very specific questions via ebay messenger about the quality of the LP as I was worried that perhaps he was overgrading (LP overgrading - that´s a whole separate thread right there!). He answered that the LP was NM etc etc and so I went ahead and made the purchase. When it arrived it had a nasty, deep piece of damage right in the middle of side one, track one that of course affected playback - loud cracks for a full minute. It wasn´t so much a scratch as a full on dent. No way he could not have known about it.

Messages flowed between us. I gritted my teeth and carefully stayed polite throughout but he got abusive and so it ended up in a dispute.

As I said at the beginning of this post, I had to really push ebay but eventually I won the dispute. Mind you it was ebay themselves that refunded me and I don´t believe that he was made to pay them so he got away with it unfortunatey.

I do believe there are far more unscrupulous sellers than buyers.

I'm just an ordinary member of the public i.e. neither a trader nor someone who buys from e-bay more than only occasionally, but even so I've had problems with both e-bay and sellers. One example is when I won one auction for a pair of speaker stands that had no reserve price, the seller then informed me my winning bid wasn't enough and he would not honour the sale. Despite complaining to e-bay about the situation nothing was done about it as far as I know. Not confidence inspiring!

I now only buy off e-bay if either 1) someone I know can vouch that the seller can be trusted, or 2) I can arrange to check and collect the goods in person and pay cash at that time; otherwise its no sale/purchase thank you very much.

At least I've never been ripped-off so far (and lets hope it stays that way).

Your first point - that's really how it should be..

The CEO of eBay has often said that eBay is only there to bring buyers and sellers together. He says that because eBay has no legal influence over terms of sale between two people - if they did, they'd be liable themselves for all sorts that sellers got up to like fake goods.

The terms of sale between two people are made via the contact AFTER the auction. It is the ebay intent that people use the final auction price as the selling price but there is nothing to say that it must be so.. It breaches the Sale of Goods act for eBay to enforce that condition as a third party in a sales contract no matter what the T&Cs might say.

OK, it might not be in the spirit of how ebay works but why sacrifice the value of your item for the smooth running and for the profits of some massive other company? You just risk getting negative feedback that's all.

For the second part - annoyingly I keep finding sellers increasingly not trusting cash and prefering PayPal !! What's that all about? And for items I'd be collecting too for which they get no seller protection at all - if I made a fraudulent claim, their lack of proof of postage would screw them over.

advertisement

Back